New cell phone for beginner !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by BAJA_05
Well, I have to purchase a cell phone. Cant take the haggling from my GF any longer. What is the best route to go for someone who is a new user for a cell phone and basically would just be calling and texting and possibly taking pictures from time to time. Also, best bang for the buck -- dont need a real expensive phone neither.

http://cricketwireless.com

Just about any phone on their site will work but from the site you can then do your own searches on the internet and read reviews.
Heck, you can even buy an iPhone for $50 or an iPhone with a larger screen for $100.
Add to that the unlimited plan with 5 gb of data for $35 total payment per month when you select autopay.

No catch, no contract, simple stuff, just take your pick and run with it.

You can also look into https://www.puretalkusa.com
( I am)
The Nokia 2-2 would suit you just fine I think. Again, just read reviews.

Last edited:
If you watch Walmart. Com they put straight talk I phone 6's on sale for 100$ . I have been on straight talk for 7 years no complaints at all and in the rare occasion that you need customer support they always answer in person. $45 per month and the price has never changed.

Last edited:
Get a flip phone and not be part of the dopes who are wandering around aimlessly through the streets.

iPhone 6s or iPhone SE are excellent and inexpensive. On Black Friday I got a new iPhone SE for $69 for daughter that I did not enable to use music player and she used to text when on wifi.

The insanity is the wireless headphones tweens die for were $130 for it from Apple!!!!!

Originally Posted by Lubener
Get a flip phone and not be part of the dopes who are wandering around aimlessly through the streets.

Useless post of the day.............................

Originally Posted by CKN

Useless post of the day.............................

Useless response of the day........

You are probably one of those I referred to.

Last edited:

Okay boomer.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

Okay boomer.

Many old people embrace technology.

Originally Posted by Leo99

Okay boomer.

They do. I just have disdain for the snobs who think they're above others because of whatever dumb excuse they have for not liking a particular piece of technology.

Sometimes technology is not the Driver for Baby Boomers. It's sometimes driven by price. After-all, fixed income holders are not the type to spend $800 on an IPhone, instead opting for Metro PCS and a $50 upgrade for an Android.

Our three year-old LG Android has been perfect for myself and wife.... both nearing 70 years old. But the real secret is not to use your phone like a desktop computer.

Ideally, one is better-off to spend $450 on a desktop or laptop and let it serve the more heavier internet serving purposes for the next 7-10 years.
That's what we do..... and thank you to our eight year-old Windows 10 Dell machine.

Both Dell Tower and Android LG cellphones all continue to run like new. Why?..... because they are being used properly..... for longetivity purposes.

Originally Posted by Leo99

Okay boomer.

They do. I just have disdain for the snobs who think they're above others because of whatever dumb excuse they have for not liking a particular piece of technology.

I also have disdain for idiots who use this technology while jeopardizing the safety of others using this technology while driving because they are afraid of not being connected for twenty minutes or cannot function during the day without their smartphone in front of their face...The ones who are fearful of communicating to someone face to face and will text someone in the same room. I also have disdain for the ones who lack the intellect to recognize the issue.

Last edited:

I also have disdain for idiots who use this technology while jeopardizing the safety of others using this technology while driving because they are afraid of not being connected for twenty minutes or cannot function during the day without their smartphone in front of their face...The ones who are fearful of communicating to someone face to face and will text someone in the same room. I also have disdain for the ones who lack the intellect to recognize the issue.

Blaming the tool instead of the user isn't going to solve anything. Take away the phone, and they'll just find something else to occupy themselves. I've seen people shuffling papers in their lap, doing their makeup, rubbernecking at absolutely nothing, zoning out entirely..
21.gif
A lack of "Dude, you're piloting a 2 ton PROJECTILE FILLED WITH HIGHLY FLAMMABLE LIQUIDS, stay off your phone and pay attention to the friggin road" knowledge coupled with extreme leniency for punishment when caught for doing it is more to blame than cell phones.

Back on topic.... OP, if your GF has an iPhone, I'd suggest an older iPhone 7or 8. iMessage is great if you like to send lots of pictures and videos. Pictures from android to iPhone or vice versa are good, but videos look like they're filmed on a potato. There are other messaging apps that work around that issue though.

Last edited:
I have a disdain for people who like telling other people what they should be doing and not doing, add to that stereotyping age groups or any group, more so when they throw a thread off subject.
There is a word for that type of person but no politics allowed in here
18.gif

Fact of the matter, there is good advise in here if the op goes back and reads the earlier threads.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy

Fact of the matter, there is good advise in here if the op goes back and reads the earlier threads.

Fact of the matter, there is good advise in here if the op goes back and reads the earlier and later threads once again.

Me too I hope the OP weeds through this. Like all good things we have dopes who ruin it (OT/unrelated and useless threads) for everyone steering it off course.

Originally Posted by BAJA_05
Well, I have to purchase a cell phone. Cant take the haggling from my GF any longer. What is the best route to go for someone who is a new user for a cell phone and basically would just be calling and texting and possibly taking pictures from time to time. Also, best bang for the buck -- dont need a real expensive phone neither.

I just moved from a flip phone to smart phone 2 weeks ago. The coming demise of 3G was one factor. I am tech savvy and the flip phone reflected my tendency to be cheap and eccentric more than anything. I chose the iphone SE because my main requirement was for small size. I work outdoors and I want something to fit in my pocket comfortably. The SE is cheap, still up-gradable to the current IOS, and is respected for good build/use quality. Smaller "keyboard" is one con.

Do some research (Google) on all of the non-contract companies and you will come up with an inexpensive phone and plan that meets your needs. I'm only paying $10/month for my plan, but it doesn't allow me to use much data away from wifi.

Don't be afraid or frustrated with a bit of a learning curve. There is lots of help available. LOL, the first time I tried to upload the new iphone IOS, my phone froze. Telephone assistance failed and I had to visit an Apple store to get it fixed.

FYI, I'm not aware of any current flip phones that will meet your photography needs.

I bought a Moto G7 Play for my dad recently from Canadian Costco, it comes fully unlocked and with no bloatware, set me off by cad$180 delivered next day.
Very decent phone to start with, added 64GB memory card and set it up for him - he doesn't part with it since while still learning things as he uses it.
Good camera, screen size and resolution for a 78 y.o., faster than enough to do all daily stuff including Viber video calls too, comfortable in hand, back fingerprint unlock sensor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back