New cell phone for beginner !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by alarmguy

Fact of the matter, there is good advise in here if the op goes back and reads the earlier threads.

Fact of the matter, there is good advise in here if the op goes back and reads the earlier and later threads once again.

OP decided on a G7 2 days ago.

iPhone 8 or iPhone XR

The 6 is not worth buying at this point unless you get it for half the price of the 8 or less. It's not a bad phone but I expect the software updates to be dropped for the 6s in the near future

I'm currently using Android but I recommend Apple for the more user friendly software.

Originally Posted by camrydriver111
iPhone 8 or iPhone XR

The 6 is not worth buying at this point unless you get it for half the price of the 8 or less. It's not a bad phone but I expect the software updates to be dropped for the 6s in the near future

I'm currently using Android but I recommend Apple for the more user friendly software.

I agree on the 6. Prices around me on Facebook marketplace have dropped a ton in the past several months. You can get a near new one 6 for 60-75 bucks and 99 dollars for brand new if you look around. Thought I heard they are very soon dropping the 6 from any future updates. Would not buy at this point.

Originally Posted by dubber09
I bought a Moto G7 Play for my dad recently from Canadian Costco, it comes fully unlocked and with no bloatware, set me off by cad$180 delivered next day.
Very decent phone to start with, added 64GB memory card and set it up for him - he doesn't part with it since while still learning things as he uses it.
Good camera, screen size and resolution for a 78 y.o., faster than enough to do all daily stuff including Viber video calls too, comfortable in hand, back fingerprint unlock sensor.

Don't care what people say. Motorola has some of the biggest bang for the buck phones currently. I have what is considered old now, a Moto X4 and it is reliable, still has good specs, and I love the camera and flaslight gestures. Mine is an AndroidOne edition so I always get the latest updates.

My wife and I had G6 plays prior and then gave it to my 9 year old. He has dropped it, thrown it, left it in -30F vehicle, etc. and it continues to run 100%.

Motorola packs a lot of phone in the under 200 price range.

Originally Posted by SouthDakotaDad
Originally Posted by dubber09
I bought a Moto G7 Play for my dad recently from Canadian Costco, it comes fully unlocked and with no bloatware, set me off by cad$180 delivered next day.
Very decent phone to start with, added 64GB memory card and set it up for him - he doesn't part with it since while still learning things as he uses it.
Good camera, screen size and resolution for a 78 y.o., faster than enough to do all daily stuff including Viber video calls too, comfortable in hand, back fingerprint unlock sensor.

Don't care what people say. Motorola has some of the biggest bang for the buck phones currently. I have what is considered old now, a Moto X4 and it is reliable, still has good specs, and I love the camera and flaslight gestures. Mine is an AndroidOne edition so I always get the latest updates.

My wife and I had G6 plays prior and then gave it to my 9 year old. He has dropped it, thrown it, left it in -30F vehicle, etc. and it continues to run 100%.

Motorola packs a lot of phone in the under 200 price range.

I say Motorola has always had some of the best phones, ever since my old Moto flip phone. My current G6 Play is getting a bit slow with the ever-growing OS updates, but it keeps on going. I can't count how many times it has been dropped on a concrete shop floor.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Leo99

Fact of the matter, there is good advise in here if the op goes back and reads the earlier threads.

Fact of the matter, there is good advise in here if the op goes back and reads the earlier and later threads once again.

There are multiple members looking for new phones reading this topic, that would not buy the G7 - instead opting for a solution from another member that replied here.

Just because the OP chose the G7, doesn't mean he made the proper decision. We-all hope he did proper..... hope he has good luck with the G7 for many years.

If something happens to my G7 i'm curious about the ulefone g6 armor. Supposed to be rugged with long battery life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by camrydriver111
iPhone 8 or iPhone XR

The iPhone 6s can be bought new for $50 and the iPhone 6s+ can be bought for $100 and both are upgradable to iPhones newest 13.3 firm/software.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lubener
Get a flip phone and not be part of the dopes who are wandering around aimlessly through the streets.

OK Boomer. Are you the guy that writes checks in the 10 items or less checkout lane? Still buy maps at the Esso station to get lost by.... sorry, , they changed to Exxon a few decades ago but you may have missed that one. Oh, you can take that rubber band off your wallet too.

OP... the advice on the Moto G series is good advice. Picked up a new unlocked G6 for my wife for Christmas directly from Lenove /Motorola. Zero bloatware and excellent phone for $130 delivered.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Toros
Get a flip phone and not be part of the dopes who are wandering around aimlessly through the streets.

OK Boomer. Are you the guy that writes checks in the 10 items or less checkout lane? Still buy maps at the Esso station to get lost by.... sorry, , they changed to Exxon a few decades ago but you may have missed that one. Oh, you can take that rubber band off your wallet too.

OP... the advice on the Moto G series is good advice. Picked up a new unlocked G6 for my wife for Christmas directly from Lenove /Motorola. Zero bloatware and excellent phone for $130 delivered.

^^ I would agree with that, I used to be a Nokia fan, after decades I always had value in my phones, Huawei is an excellent phone with no bloatware (Mate SE, maybe out of production by now) but I would not longer recommend it or the company in the USA, since the government is coming down on them and pressuring google not to support them on google play. Still the phones get amazing reviews but, they also have phones costing upwards of $1000 like most other makers. They are also the 3rd largest phone maker in the world, almost made it to 2nd until the US government stepped in.

Moto's have good reputations for sure and get good write ups.

I do think your stereotyping of others s**k* though, you must be a poptart.

Last edited:

^^ I would agree with that, I used to be a Nokia fan, after decades I always had value in my phones, Huawei is an excellent phone with no bloatware (Mate SE, maybe out of production by now) but I would not longer recommend it or the company in the USA, since the government is coming down on them and pressuring google not to support them on google play. Still the phones get amazing reviews but, they also have phones costing upwards of $1000 like most other makers. They are also the 3rd largest phone maker in the world, almost made it to 2nd until the US government stepped in.

Moto's have good reputations for sure and get good write ups.

I do think your stereotyping of others s**k* though, you must be a poptart.

"Originally Posted by Lubener
Get a flip phone and not be part of the dopes who are wandering around aimlessly through the streets."

Yeah...im the "poptart". Been called a lot of things in my career as a state cop, but never a poptart. That's harsh.

El Toro- Let it slide. Don't like my comment, ignore it. Two posts in one day and all you do is beat it in the ground. You're worse than I am, move on.

El Toro- Let it slide. Don't like my comment, ignore it. Two posts in one day and all you do is beat it in the ground. You're worse than I am, move on.
Don't take orders from you. You made a clown comment. Own it and move on yourself.

Don't take orders from you. You made a clown comment. Own it and move on yourself.

I do own it and I believe it, even with your stupid responses. Have a nice evening, Barney.

I do own it and I believe it, even with your stupid responses. Have a nice evening, Barney.

Who is Barney and what's his part in this? You've been out witted.. likely not the first time...

Originally Posted by Leo99

There are multiple members looking for new phones reading this topic, that would not buy the G7 - instead opting for a solution from another member that replied here.

Just because the OP chose the G7, doesn't mean he made the proper decision. We-all hope he did proper..... hope he has good luck with the G7 for many years.

We all made suggestions with arguments, OP made the choice.
You sound like a Canadian Liberal saying all choices are 'improper' if they differ from theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back