New Castrol Syntec Spec Sheet? Dated 8/15/05...

Status
Not open for further replies.
High in the Mountains of Central California
I hope the pdf I'm linking to below doesn't change the date each day, but if not, it looks like there's a new spec sheet for GC and it's Syntec siblings.

Interestingly, GC (0W30) and BC (5W40) are the only two Syntecs to not be rated "SM"... I assume due to the desire to put protection above enviro concerns with these particular oils.

(Hopefully, I won't trigger an avalanche of dispute over the above comment!
shocked.gif
)

Anyway, here's the new Syntec Spec Sheet.

smile.gif

Woo-hoo! GC (0w-30) now officially meets GM-LL-025 spec! I can now run it under warranty in my Saab in accordance to the oil monitor.

fruit.gif

That's what I've been waiting to see. It lists the 0w-30 meeting the MB 229.5 spec which means this oil is almost certainly the Longtec oil in Europe. They even call it the European formula. This is probably good stuff but wear is probably sacrificed for TBN retention. We'll just have to see...

quote:

Originally posted by medic:
So how come there still isn't an API SM 0w-30 from Castrol? Is there a problem with meeting all of these great specs and API SM?

medic,

I don't think the target audience is concerned about SM...more about the ACEA and MB ratings.

Castrol considers HT/HS, Noack Volatility, and other important specs as "proprietary" information. It's so cheesy, in this age of greater transparency. Despite what the Amsoil bashers say, Amsoil provides more specs on their oils, greases, and ATFs than anybody I know.

quote:

Originally posted by TxGreaseMonkey:
Despite what the Amsoil bashers say, Amsoil provides more specs on their oils, greases, and ATFs than anybody I know.

Agree.
LOL
BTW, the Amsoil marketing strategy sucks balls.
Bashing or stating a fact?
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by medic:
So how come there still isn't an API SM 0w-30 from Castrol? Is there a problem with meeting all of these great specs and API SM?

The SM rating would probably be a step backward in a high quality synthetic oil due to reduced ZDDP levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back