"New" Castrol 0w-30 "Made in Belgium"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
turtlevette - It's easy to perhaps misjudge your posts!

Perhaps you could learn and contribute more here instead of challenging meaningful comments from the likes of Shannow and other long term BITOG contributors

I'm knowledgeable on the Gen1 SBC and help with other mechanical stuff in the maint forum. I won't succumb to the thick oil bias of some of the old timers here and that's where the rub comes.

If have problems with my 1300 MW steam turbine bearings, I'll give Shannow a shout.

36.gif

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
turtlevette - It's easy to perhaps misjudge your posts!

Perhaps you could learn and contribute more here instead of challenging meaningful comments from the likes of Shannow and other long term BITOG contributors

I'm knowledgeable on the Gen1 SBC and help with other mechanical stuff in the maint forum. I won't succumb to the thick oil bias of some of the old timers here and that's where the rub comes.

If have problems with my 1300 MW steam turbine bearings, I'll give Shannow a shout.

Perhaps you incorrectly think some have a thick oil bias because you truly have a thin oil bias. It's a relative thing. If that's true, that puts your thoughts in error.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
There's nothing wrong with doing a shake test when choosing an oil.

What is the other option?

No there's nothing wrong with it. There's nothing USEFUL about it either. Its utterly, totally, completely meaningless. Throwing 6 bottles of different oils up a staircase and picking the one that bounces back down the farthest would be exactly as meaningful as shaking the bottle. Picking the first one my daughters Cocker Spaniel tries to eat would be just as meaningful.

my god, what have I done - haha.

I use the older red-label 0w-30 in all of my cars and I've gotten great results from it. Was hoping the formula was the same in this new bottle.

I know the labeling and ratings are identical from older to this new one. Was just wondering if the actual contents are the same.

My local Autozone just started stocking the new orange label stuff. They've been fairly consistent on switching over, I haven't been able to find an Autozone that has the older stuff anywhere between my house and work ~26 miles away.

I might just buy a pack of 5 and send off a little bit for a VOA - that is, if someone else don't get to it before me.

Bit the bullet today since I had a $20 Autozone rewards credit and a $24.99 5x Castrol Quart coupon. Came out to $7 out of pocket.

Bought 5 quarts of the "new stuff" - I'll be sending it in to Blackstone to get a VOA and see how it compares to the "old stuff" I have on the shelf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back