New Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,

We bought a new 05 Outback for my wife. It's been awhile since I've had a "new" car. At what initial mileage would you guys recommend a change of oil and filter? I used to do a change at 500, 1000, then 3,000. Probably going dino for the at least 3k then switch to synthetic. With the miles my wife drives, should only have to change twice a year. Was thinking of Mobil1 5w40 Spring/Summer and 5W30 Fall/Winter. But not sure yet.

John

Congrats on the new car!
worshippy.gif

IMHO, after all the reading and research I've done on the subject, at least when it comes to new cars, I like sticking with the manufacturers suggested change intervals and viscosity.

I know Subaru probably doesn't have a recommended interval for the break-in oil (or do they?). I'd suggest leaving it in there for the full 3k, and then switch over to a high quality synthetic.

What viscosities does Subaru recommend?

I agree with Jelly, go 3k on the factory fill, then switch to synthetic and begin your 6 month intervals. I don't think you'll need to go with the 5w40 in the Subaru though, they work well with 5w30 M1.

I thought I try something new here. In order for BITOG members to make better recomendations, I put togther a little questionaire to help gather some info on the variables at least I often overlook. JBRIII, your the guinea pig.
smile.gif

You can skip the parts that you feel aren't applicable, but try to answer all the question you can. I'd also like to hear from BITOG members if they think this is appropriate or not.
Thanks.

---------------------

Goal:
Best protection whatever the cost?
Best protection, least cost?
Adequate protection, minimal cost?
Extended drain intervals?
Lower oil consumption rate?
Less noise/Smoother running?
Better Gas Milage?
You just want it to get you to work/school for the next year and then you'll junk it?

Environment:
Enter zip code.
Season(s) for use?
Is vehicle garaged (heated/non-heated)?
Use a Block/Oil heater?

Driving Style:
Soft Pedaler?
Go with the flow?
Lead Foot?
The Fast and the Furious on a caffeine jag?
Percent of time on cruise control and speed?

Operating Conditions:
Commute or daily trip distance?
Any Weekly Autocrossing/Drag Racing/Baja 500?
Any Gridlock Rush Hour(distance and time)?
Any Sustained Hi-speed driving(75+ mph for 20 minutes or more)?
AnyTowing (Percentage of Max Tow weight)?
Any Mixed city/highway in light to medium traffic?
Any flat versus mountainous terrain?

Engine design and condition:
Engine type and year?
Milage on engine?
Owner's Manuel Recommendations?
History of significant repairs (e.g. radiator hose blew, engine severely overheated)?
Current ailments (e.g. uses a quart every 500 miles, sludge is visible, low/uneven compression)?

Historical and Current Practices:
Oil Brand/Weight?
Oil Filter Brand/Model/PN?
Oil/Filter Change Interval?
Oil/Fuel additives used?

Additional Comments not covered above:

I agree with Patman. Subaru says 3,000 miles on first oil change and NOT before 1,000 miles and then 3,750 or 7,500 miles changes depending on your driving cycle. I changed out my new Forester at ~2,500 miles to Mobil 1 5w30 and now have 70,000 trouble free miles. Since I do about 70 percent suburbin driveing I change my oil at 5,000 mile interval but, could easly go the full 7,500 except Idoitmyself so no cost issue.

Subaru says change at 7500. No way.

Manual says 5W30 is preferred. But may use 10W30, 10w40 above 0. Also if you live in the a hot climate or tow you may use: SAE 30, 40, 10W50, 20W40, or 20W50. So basically any oil on the planet.

I will probably change at 1,000 with Pennzoil 10W30 conventional. Then again at 3,000 with 5W30 Mobil1 or GC.

John

I changed the oil on our 2003 Outback 4 cyl at 3000 miles, using conventional 5W-30.

At 6000 miles, I went to Redline 5W-30 which ran better and I kept it in for 6000 miles. I didn't run longer because of winter driving and short trips.

Then I ran Redline 5W-40 for the last 7000 miles.

I'm not so sure that the Redline 5W-40 is the best choice.

My thinking was that all the trips over the mountain passes in Colorado up 7% grades at full throttle, and trips into Moab or Vegas and high summer heat justified the viscosity.

I'm thinking about running the Redline 5W-40 for one more 7500 mile interval and switching back to Redline 5W-30 for the winter.

Other oils I think I should check out are:

Mobil 1 SuperSyn European Car Formula 0W-40

Amsoil 0W-30

GC 0W-30

Pennzoil European Formula Ultra 5W-30

Quaker State European Formula Ultra 5W-30

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:

quote:

Originally posted by JBRIII:
Subaru says change at 7500.

Subaru says change at 7500 for the break-in oil or just regular changes?

IMHO, drop the factory oil at 3k and switch over to M1 0w-40. Run the 7,500 mile interval, use a top quality oil and air filter, and you'll be set.

I think that Subaru says 7500 'normal' and 3750 'severe'.

In Colorado the Subaru dealers advise that we follow the 'severe' schedule.

Mobil techs say with Mobil 1 that the normal interval can be used.

I have to agree with Jelly ; Mobil 1 0W-40 and a 7500 OCI miles with a good oil filter is as good as any 'year round / all conditions' program I can think of.

quote:

Originally posted by JBRIII:
Subaru says change at 7500.

Subaru says change at 7500 for the break-in oil or just regular changes?

IMHO, drop the factory oil at 3k and switch over to M1 0w-40. Run the 7,500 mile interval, use a top quality oil and air filter, and you'll be set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back