New Car, which is best oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i've got a 04 nissan se-r. i would like to use GC, but several people say i should not because its too thin!!!!
nono.gif
everyone says to use m1
5-30 or 10-30. any recomendations!!1
smile.gif

If anything, GC 0W-30 is too thick. It's way thicker than oil you've mentioned.

Either 5W-30 or 10W-30 will work fine.

At very cold temperatures the German Castrol Syntec 0W-30 is thinner than a 5W-30 or 10W-30 motor oil. The German Castrol 0W-30 will be thicker than most 30 weight motor oils at high temperatures because the High Temperature High Shear Viscosity must be greater than 3.5 cP @150 C in order for it to qualify for the European ACEA A3/B3/B4 specs.

The technical data for the German Castrol Syntec 0W-30 is similar to the technical data for Mobil 1 0W-40. The "GC" 0W-30 is a thick SAE 30 viscosity. The OEM specs these oils meet are also similar.

[ October 29, 2003, 07:35 AM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

I think either the German Castrol Syntec 0W-30 or Mobil 1 0W-40 would be a great choice for your new ride.
grin.gif

[ October 29, 2003, 07:09 AM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

Sin City

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think either the German Castrol Syntec 0W-30 or Mobil 1 0W-40 would be a great choice for your new ride.

Thanks for the info.
bowdown.gif
I will try the Castrol Syntec, since I can get it where I work at.

offtopic.gif
What oil filter would anyone recommed??
grin.gif
cheers.gif

If you want to use a conventional motor oil, maybe the best is Chevron Supreme.

If you want to use a synthetic oil, the one that is most readily available and meets all new car requirments is Mobil 1.

grin.gif
I'll pick up a 15208-9e000, from my friends at the dealership. I had a k&n hp1010 and a amsoil sdf13 oil filters that my previous frontier used, sitting in the garage before it was
crushedcar.gif
. Again thanx!!!!!!!!!!!

Your oil and filter should be the least of your concerns: Nissan just recalled a Million+ cars world-wide...engines.

Good luck...

Just be sure when you buy the 0W-30 Castrol Syntec that it says ACEA A3/B3/B4 on the back side of the bottle! I have been to three AutoZones in Las Vagas and they all have the old ACEA A1 rated 0W-30 Syntec.

I have a 2003 Sentra Spec-V and had 3,500 miles on Schaeffer 5W30. I was gonna go another 1,000 miles and have it tested, but ...

... I went in for the catalytic converter-related 2.5L recall and they changed my oil for me.
frown.gif

Gonna go about 1,500 miles on the dealership goo (supposedly Castrol Syntec Blend 5W30) and then dump it in favor of Red Line 5W30 for the winter.

For filters I'm torn between the Hastings and the NAPA Gold/WIX ... I just don't know the numbers off the top of my head. Of course, I'll be using the taller of the two numbers which will fit my car.

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by nismo man 21:
grin.gif
I'll pick up a 15208-9e000, from my friends at the dealership. I had a k&n hp1010 and a amsoil sdf13 oil filters that my previous frontier used, sitting in the garage before it was
crushedcar.gif
. Again thanx!!!!!!!!!!!

Go with the K&N HP 1010 It will fit. Thats all I use in my Sentra SE

quote:

i've got a 04 nissan se-r. i would like to use GC, but several people say i should not because its too thin!!!!
nono.gif
everyone says to use m1
5-30 or 10-30. any recomendations!!1
smile.gif

Well everyone that tells you it's too thin let them know that at 100C the oil is the same viscosity so if your looking for a thicker oil you need to move up to an Xw40.
But I woudn't do this becuase you will lose horsepower, and have high temps becuase of the friction cause by the thicker oil.

If you like GC use it,

cool.gif
The Mobil 1 is good stuff and the easiest to find. Just use that in the recommended viscosity, however personally I'm trying M1 0w-30 instead of 5w-30 right now. When I get a new car that doesn't come with syn (which is every car I've owned so far) the first change I do at half the recommended interval with conventional oil then switch to syn at the first recommended interval, but that's just the old-school part of me.

quote:

grin.gif
crushedcar.gif
. Again thanx!!!!!!!!!!!

Man if you have the K&Ns just laying around, use em'! They are excellent filters. If you had to go and buy some though, and wanted to save a few $$$, the bigger OEM is a great buy for a very good filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back