New car.. when to change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im about to trade in my f150 for a new 4cyl Focus. The car will be driven 50miles round trip per day, and also be driven in New England during the winter. Ive used nothing but Pennzoil in the past and want to stick with PP, like i use in my Mustang. Question is: how long do you recommend i go on the original oil before its first change? Any other possible suggestions? Thanks

Greetings!
welcome2.gif

Any new vehicle I've ever had, I've usually changed the factory fill around 3K (Some change it at 500 miles, some change is at 5000 miles: to each his own!). I then bump it up to 5-6K for regular oil, or more as my wife's car has an OLM, or 7-8K for syn.

PP would be a great choice but you could use YB and it would be more than sufficient. I would change out the FF at around 2,500 - 3,000 miles and follow the factory service schedule from there. I suppose if you were far enough north that the lower pour point of PP over YB might be worth the extra cost. I am guessing it call for 5W/20?

What does the factory recommend? I usually change out my oil at ~ 2,500 miles or about 1/2 the recommended. I do not change very early as I want the assembly lubes & anti-scuff additives to do the break-in work.

I'd do half a normal OCI.

So if you're going to use 7500 mile OCI's, I'd dump at 3750 and again at 7500, then 15,000, 22500, 30,000... etc.

And PP in a focus, where I think you need to stay at 7500 to maintain warranty, that seems like a good OCI.

I like to keep it simple. If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Last edited:
I think the opinion that can be garnered is that it just doesn't matter. Change at 1 mile, or go to full factory recommended OCI, it makes little difference to the engine.

I just say don't be too easy on the engine.

Originally Posted By: Brettasaurus
PP would be a great choice but you could use YB and it would be more than sufficient. I would change out the FF at around 2,500 - 3,000 miles and follow the factory service schedule from there. I suppose if you were far enough north that the lower pour point of PP over YB might be worth the extra cost. I am guessing it call for 5W/20?

Im not sure what they recommend actually. I do know that my 02 Mustang says 5w20, but i could never find it! :)

The whole idea of swapping out the 14mpg truck for this new car is MPG. Will PP "increase" my MPG over running a conventional oil? I know driving techniques apply, but just curious what you all think.

Originally Posted By: stangyellow
Originally Posted By: Brettasaurus

Im not sure what they recommend actually. I do know that my 02 Mustang says 5w20, but i could never find it! :)

The whole idea of swapping out the 14mpg truck for this new car is MPG. Will PP "increase" my MPG over running a conventional oil? I know driving techniques apply, but just curious what you all think.

No, PP won't increase your mileage. But you'll be able to go longer between oil changes ( if that appeals to you ) and you'll have better cold starting characteristics in the winter with the syn oil. And PP will keep that engine shiny new looking on the inside, where it counts.

PP 5W-20 can be found at oil dash store dot com

Hey.....I just did almost the same thing as you. I traded in a Mustang GT for a Focus so that I could lower my payments....and improve my mpg considerably.
This is what I've done with mine.....at 500 miles I changed out the factory fill and replaced with same...Motorcraft Blend, Motorcraft filter. I did notice the oil was disclored a bit more than I would expect at 500, so I am glad I got out the possible break-in materials. I plan on changing my oil again at 2k miles with either Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20, or Motorcraft Full Synthetic. I'll stick with the Motorcraft filters for life as I believe they have a superior anti-drainback valve and seem to work best in Fords. From that point on I'm planning on a 5 to 6k OCI. I also drive 50 miles per day but I have more mild winters than you. I followed the manual for break-in by varying my driving during the first 500 miles. I did lots of hills and town driving....avoiding the constant highway speeds that I do with it now. I've achieved an average mpg of 35 with my commute (80% hwy. 20% city). So far the Focus has been fantastic. It's been a great little car and for the automatic version I'm gettiing better than EPA mpg estimates. On a straight highway run I get 38 mpg!

Originally Posted By: stangyellow
Im about to trade in my f150 for a new 4cyl Focus. The car will be driven 50miles round trip per day, and also be driven in New England during the winter. Ive used nothing but Pennzoil in the past and want to stick with PP, like i use in my Mustang. Question is: how long do you recommend i go on the original oil before its first change? Any other possible suggestions? Thanks

stangyellow,

You drive more miles than I do per day so I'd wait until it's scheduled for it's first OCI and then change it to PP as you like.

Durango

Run the PP to the maximum recommended interval by the manufacturer - for Ford, this is 7500 miles.

Geesh! Just read my early morning post again, and correction.... not getting a Focus, but rather a FUSION. Ill take what I learned today, and apply it to the Fusion
wink.gif

Thank you for the help. I'll aim to change out the oil at 1000miles, and dive right into the PP for the life of the car, or however long i decide to keep it. Motorcrsft filter as usual.

Heh, I did the same thing. Had an '03 F150 and swapped it for an '09 Fusion. Glad I did.

I got some castrol syn blend on sale and do 5k changes. Got enough to last me at least three years. After that I'll go to PP 5w20. I always use the motorcraft filters

Some people dump the break in oil at a couple of hundred miles to get all the initial metal wear shavings out. I do that, but the makers don't think it's mandatory. The specs on the parts in new engine parts is so tight, they don't wear in much anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back