New car to me, BMW E46 325i - Shell Ultra 5w-40 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
New car to me

Looking to use Shell Ultra 5w-40

BMW 2002 E46 325i – M54 engine – 209000 kms.

Owned by BM indy mech so oil changes done regularly – Castrol I think 15-40 iirc.

I do my own maint, oil changes etc.

No oil smoke or major leaks. Appears to use a very slight amount of oil, although I don’t have any consumption figures yet.

I live in Adelaide where its currently currently 9c - 16c. We’ll be coming out of winter by the time my o&f change is due in a month or two, so will be say 16 – 25 in spring
Summer 30-44c days, city driving, fairly short trips.

Previously had a BMW E36 94 318i and posted regarding Shell Ultra 5w-40. I've read the 101 & posters comments on this oil in h/perf cars etc.

Shell Ultra 5w-40 is used in my missus VW Golf. Good oil and I like it, plus its bmw LL-01 approved.

Its currently on half price special here, so I was gonna stock up on it for the VW Golf & also looking to use it in my new e46.

What do you guys think re this 5w-40 oil in the e46, not too thin on start up (I think the previous owner just ran it on regular 15w-40 that the workshop uses) ?

Thanks

How could an oil be too thin at start up? Thats when it will be its thickest....This makes no sense to me?

Originally Posted By: mcrn
How could an oil be too thin at start up? Thats when it will be its thickest....This makes no sense to me?

Yeah, it's a common misconception. People see a smaller number in the front, and they assume it's thinner.

I would buy enough to last until at least the next time it is on special.

That will work fine in both vehicles.

half price
laugh.gif
buy it up. I'd use it at regular price.

Thanks guys.

Yep, I use it as my regular oil in the golf & it was great in the old bm, so thanks to your replies, it'll be going in my new (to me) car.

TESTOPROP - Repco has it on special from the 31/7 till the 10th/8.

I'll be buying up, as its cheap
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back