New Car - sludge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJH

I was checking over my new Mazda (only 2000mi now) and took off the oil filler cap. Inside of it was about 1/4" of white like grease (actually looked exactly like white grease). Help!
confused.gif

thanks pjh

Sounds like water emulsion.

New car? Get it to the dealer NOW. Don't let them just say it's condensation (it could be), make them prove it.

What kind of driving to you do?

For sure get a sample of that oil for various reasons.

Excessive moisture. Not enough driving fully warm or too many short trips
confused.gif

New? visit dealer. Might be something serious. Hows the antifreeze level/condition?

cool.gif
Depends how long it sat on the dealer's lot before you bought it, just getting run for a minute or two at a time being moved around. Unless you make a lot of short trips yourself I'd say change the oil and see if it happens again. I used to be a car salesman in a previous life.
grin.gif

That is not good. If it did not sit on the lot a long time before being sold I would be very concerned.

quote:

Originally posted by badnews:
That is not good. If it did not sit on the lot a long time before being sold I would be very concerned.

Did not sit at all - was in a import holding yard for a bit and then driven to the dealer for me to pick up.
I am concerned, however the car is under warrant for 3 years.
I do some short drives, however mixed with long ones. Have never noticed with any other car I have had. Oil was changed after 1200mi and antifreeze lever is OK. I usually do not look inside the oil cap - have no idea why I did this time.
Any other ideas??

Well you're right I called the dealer and a "tech" advised that it is condensation and was common on some of the newer cars. Sure
rolleyes.gif

Waiting for a call back from the service manager now.
If antifreeze was getting into the oil - wouldn't oil get into the antifreeze?? I checked the antifreeze overflow jug and seems ok - no oil film..
confused.gif

While this could certainly happen if oil and water were mixed, I doubt that this is the problem.

You are experiencing condensation forming on the relatively cold top of the motor.

It happens allot on recent VW's where they have a cast aluminum valve cover with the oil cap on top of a 3 inch riser.
This is an ideal place to get condensation and will be more prevalent on short journeys.

quote:

Originally posted by Nosmo King:
While this could certainly happen if oil and water were mixed, I doubt that this is the problem.

You are experiencing condensation forming on the relatively cold top of the motor.

It happens allot on recent VW's where they have a cast aluminum valve cover with the oil cap on top of a 3 inch riser.
This is an ideal place to get condensation and will be more prevalent on short journeys.

You are probably correct - have an alum cover and cap is on top of a 2" riser
thanks

The only time I've seen this on a car I've owned was when engine coolant got in the oil through a head gasket leak. I would probably take it to the dealer and have them check it. If they say it's ok, I'd get an oil analysis to see if there is any antifreeze in the oil. If so, you have some ammunition to get the dealer to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back