New car... should I let the dealer change the oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A week ago I purchased my first brand new vehicle. I am 19 years old, but have been just as obsessive over the maintenance of every vehicle of mine as any other BITOG member. I am quite adequate with a wrench and have personally performed all the maintenance and repairs my driveway will allow. With this new vehicle, I would like to have it serviced at the dealer. The main reason for this is that it looks great to have consistent service records and I know that they are stored in the computers as well. Also, laziness.

As long as I follow the oil life monitor, am I safe in letting the dealer service the vehicle? The past week has been very routine driving for me, so according the OLM it looks like my first oil change will be ~6100 miles (between 6000 and 6500). So I'm assuming that will be roughly my average interval, and I'm assuming the dealer uses dino oil.

What I drive: 2009 Pontiac G5 // 2.2L Ecotec with VVT // Automatic

How I drive: Generally slow. I go the speed limit and refrain from anything that can get me a ticket because I have an accident on my record already. Maybe weekly I push the car to ~4500rpms as I merge onto the highway for fun.

Where I drive: Roughly 60/40 highway/city

I will be driving this vehicle for over 100,000 miles. Do I have anything to gain at all in my situation by doing oil changes myself with synthetic oil? Or are dealer oil changes with dino good enough?

:)

I don't trust Wal-Mart due to what I've read online. I had an oil change performed at the local lube chain because I was on my way out of town one day, and they destroyed the filter cap on my old Ecotec without telling me. Needless to say, I won't be bringing anything else there. I am, however, comfortable with the dealership's service center. I think they are stricter about who they hire, more regulated with better management, and I haven't heard anything negative about them in general outside of the cost.

My concern is with the oil and whether I can run their oil, at the intervals I mentioned, without any elevated damage to the engine in the long run.

It is alot cheaper to change your own oil.
I would get them to do it first couple times then move onto do it your self. I would run ACdelco filters and whatever oil grade they recommend that is API certified. Keep reciepts and filter box covers as proff if u ever need to repair the car. It costs me 14 dollars to change my own oil with bigger than oem filters. vs 39.99 +tax, disposal fees, environmental fees, etc.

Also, you can run your favorite brand of oil through your car if you have one. If you dont like what the dealer runs. I know I hate what GM dealers run.

Last edited:
my feeling is the car was designed for the OLM. I doubt elevated wear in the long run would be able to be proved. if you follow a normal service schedule (which few people do) that would be fine.

FWIW every man should be able to change his own oil. and do it better than the local dealer.

if it makes you sleep better you can do your own intermediate service at say OLM = 50%. personally i think if the OLM goes of at 6500 miles it's all good and manageable for quality oil. in your climate (warm... like here...) 6500 miles is a piece of cake.

check your dipstick before you drive away from the dealer though.

I dont quite trust the OLM's yet. With regular non-syn oil I wouldnt push it farther than 5k miles. I change my oil in all my cars at 3.5-4.5k miles.

Originally Posted By: defektes
I dont quite trust the OLM's yet. With regular non-syn oil I wouldnt push it farther than 5k miles. I change my oil in all my cars at 3.5-4.5k miles.

I wasn't sure about it either until I read up on it when I bought this car. Of what I read, what's important to understand is that the 3000 mile oil change theory is decades old. As we all know, engines have improved tremendously and so have motor oils. That said, the OLMs don't just guess when you should change your oil. They take into account much more than any human can. No, they can't tell if something is out of the ordinary such as an unusually dirty filter, but this would get ignored with set mileage OCI's also... and shouldn't happen anyway with good maintenance.

I know it would be cheaper to change my own oil or I could, for the same cost, use an exceptional oil in my engine... I am attracted by dealer service records and laziness.

if anything, the OLM's are conservative. They would not ride their reputation on it. trust it.

I find the less anyone other than me touches my vehicles the better. That goes especially for the dealership.

Good luck with the new car!

My dealer offered me "free" oil changes for the life of the car. However, I don't let them touch my car unless there's a warranty issue. Call me anal, but I have just seen far too many uck fups over the years when people brought me their car that had been molested by some dealer wage slave. No thanks.

Originally Posted By: Familyguy
My dealer offered me "free" oil changes for the life of the car. However, I don't let them touch my car unless there's a warranty issue. Call me anal, but I have just seen far too many uck fups over the years when people brought me their car that had been molested by some dealer wage slave. No thanks.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then the upsell off the free oil change, and all the services the "new" car needs. No thanks, maybe when you're out of NY its different, but I'd 99.9% of Metro NY dealers are thieves, and I find trusting any of them impossible!

My guy offers oil changes for $8 as long as I own my Jeep. I've had it over a year and a half, I did about 4 oil changes, and they haven't touched it yet.

Last edited:
if your only concerned about getting to 100k or 150k and want to let the dealership change it, go ahead. Personally if i had to let a dealership do it for whatever reason, i would mark the filter to insure it has been changed, and check the oil level to insure that it is filled correctly. I own three chevy trucks and we drive a lot between my wife and I. I love changing my oil, i almost cant wait untill its time. Something about watching the dirty come out and putting the fresh in. It is very rewarding for me and actually easier than drivng to the dealer and waiting for them to do it.
Seriously, just make sure it gets changed and that the level is correct and you will be fine. Maybe you could inquire about what oil they use, i once had a dealer dump 10w40 in a ZX2 that called for 5w20. It was summer in NC so i doubt it would hurt it at all but it was the point. Good luck.

I let my two dealers change the oil in my Hondas and Mercury but I furnish my own oil and use their factory filters. I trust both dealers with most of my maintenance. Most of the dealers in my town are top notch.

Good points, if I was forced to have someone change the oil, I'd make sure they actually did it. Years ago I had to bring a Ford in for an oil pan gasket (warranty). I had to make an appointment and bring in it a few days later, while there I noticed a sign for an $8 tire rotation. I was due for one, and for $8 how could you go wrong? I marked the tires, they charged me the $8 and didn't rotate them. When questioned they insisted they rotated the tires. When I showed them how the tires were marked they got PO'ed, and then offered to rotate the tires. I said no thanks take the $8 off the bill. For that stupid move I bought my next Ford from someone else.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I let my two dealers change the oil in my Hondas and Mercury but I furnish my own oil and use their factory filters. I trust both dealers with most of my maintenance. Most of the dealers in my town are top notch.

Wish I could say the same, but I did say 99.9%, so the remaining good ones are in other parts of the USA. Another reason to leave NY.

Performing your own preventive maintenance is more than just working on your car. It's a opportunity to bond with your machine. It's the chance to inspect things under the hood and wipe dirt away from places that you otherwise don't see. Get the torque specs on the drain plug and filter cap and adhere to them. Treat your tasks as if you were wrenching on a priceless jeweled time piece. Haste makes waste, especially when working on machinery.

Using a premium quality synthetic oil is mandatory in my opinion. The only problem is that you pay a price for it yet you don't see the benefits for many years down the road. I personally insist on using Delco cartridge filters in these engines and if I were following the oil life monitor I'd locate a Amsoil retailer (in town or on-line) and use their product.

Cars have become incredibly expensive in this day and age. However, some things should not be subject to penny pinching. Engine/transmission/chassis lubrication, tires, and brake components fall into that category.

Originally Posted By: Sink
I am quite adequate with a wrench and have personally performed all the maintenance and repairs my driveway will allow. With this new vehicle, I would like to have it serviced at the dealer. The main reason for this is that it looks great to have consistent service records and I know that they are stored in the computers as well.

I was in agreement with this line of thinking nine years ago when I purchased my truck. I decided to have the dealership do all of the maintenance until the warranty ran out. That way I could hold them solely accountable if some warranty issue arose. Once it expired, I gladly took over and changed over to synthetic.

Originally Posted By: jstutz
Personally if i had to let a dealership do it for whatever reason, i would mark the filter to insure it has been changed, and check the oil level to insure that it is filled correctly.

That's what I always did. It will certainly give you peace of mind. I used a Sharpy permanent marker.

Originally Posted By: jstutz
I love changing my oil, i almost cant wait untill its time. Something about watching the dirty come out and putting the fresh in. It is very rewarding for me and actually easier than drivng to the dealer and waiting for them to do it.

Amen to that! I changed the oil in two of our vehicles this week and I'm doing the last one today if the weather holds out!

Originally Posted By: Sink
What I drive: 2009 Pontiac G5 // 2.2L Ecotec with VVT // Automatic

I will be driving this vehicle for over 100,000 miles. Do I have anything to gain at all in my situation by doing oil changes myself with synthetic oil? Or are dealer oil changes with dino good enough?

How long is the warranty period for? Honestly, what are the chances of an oil-related problem requiring warranty work? The Ecotec engine is very durable and very easy on oil. Aside from the afore-mentioned "good vibes" you might build up with the dealer's service department, I don't see a need to go there for routine maintenance.

I have the 2.4 Ecotec engine in my Cobalt, and I really pile on the miles. I do all my own oil changes, and I use dino oil. I fully expect a lot more than 100,000 miles out of it; at least double that. The only problems I've had are stupid stuff - swaybar endlinks that rattle, and one front wheel bearing that went bad. I replaced them myself since the car was already out of warranty (06's had a much shorter warranty; I think it was 60K). The car has not seen the dealer since I bought it.

As long as the service department at your dealer is taking your money, they'll be good vibes.
My experience with mechanics that are paid a flat rate is not good. I found loose and missing bolts and nuts, shoody work, mis-diagnosing at my expense, etc. I find the whole service department experience aggravating. My vote is to do the oil changes yourself, you'll know that it was done and done correctly. They made their money on the car, why give them more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back