New car sat on lot 9 months. 1st oil change when?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 2009 Miata two weeks ago after it sat on the dealer lot 9 months. Mazda's recommended OCI is 6 months or 7,500 miles, whichever comes first. Was I due for an oil change the day I bought it? When should I do the first change? Thanks!

I would take the opposite approach. That oil didn't do much for those nine months unless you got it with quite a few miles on it. Run it for as long as you like so long as you don't exceed 6 months or 7500 miles from purchase date.

The oil should be fine for normal service.

However, if the car had been run for a couple of thousand miles and then left to sit for 9 months, I would change it immediately.

I usually dump the factory fill on my new vehicles between 1.5-2.5k. If you are planning on the dumping the FF early, then you should have no problem leaving that oil in there until you change it.

you should be fine. With 10 miles on the ODO, I would drive it on the highway to blow out any possible fuel dilution. top off if needed, then drive another 2-3K and change out factory fill.

Drive it to 1,500-3,000 and change it then. That's what I would do at least
55.gif

Back in January 1996 I bought a brand new 1995 Trans Am and found out that it had actually been built in September 1994, so the oil in there was already a year and a half old. Because the car had been on the dealer's lot for so long, it also had quite a few test drive miles on it, over 200 actually. I had a free oil change owed to me by that dealer so I ended up getting them to do it within the first week of owning that car. I just didn't trust the condition of that oil, new cars on a lot often get started and moved a lot, and the oil never gets up to temperature.

I change the oil out in a new car at 500 miles. When I sold cars we moved them around a lot. A lot of the younger guys didn't care much about the cars. I saw a few lot monkeys start up a car that had been sitting a month in January cold, flooring as soon as it started, move it 10 feet and shut it down. This was quite common. I'd change it, oil is cheap. Over the years I discovered that if I had to ask about doing something it should be done. JMO

Agree to not go a full OC interval, maybe dump around 1500 give or take, but not before 900 miles. There is high insol counts and wear metal not grabbed by the filter the first 3 ocs. Maybe all that junk metal make good polar alkanes?

Last edited:
My formula has always been 500mi (change oil and filter)...3000mi (change oil and filter)... switch to synthetic @ 5000miles

Originally Posted By: BKirk
I bought a 2009 Miata two weeks ago after it sat on the dealer lot 9 months. Mazda's recommended OCI is 6 months or 7,500 miles, whichever comes first. Was I due for an oil change the day I bought it? When should I do the first change? Thanks!
DON'T !! I have been in the auto industry for over 20 years and the oil has additives in it from the factory that most shelf oil won't unless it is beak in oil with LOTS of MOLY and ZDDP (ZINC). The manufacturer even put out a bulletin NOT to change oil before the 1st recommended mileage service interval. Here is another manufacturer opinion: "Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process. American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: joflewbyu2
Originally Posted By: BKirk
DON'T !! I have been in the auto industry for over 20 years and the oil has additives in it from the factory that most shelf oil won't unless it is beak in oil with LOTS of MOLY and ZDDP (ZINC). The manufacturer even put out a bulletin NOT to change oil before the 1st recommended mileage service interval. Here is another manufacturer opinion: "Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process. American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions."

We have a winner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back