New car question

A couple weeks ago I totalled the Linoleum Falcon, the CR-V is no longer. Luckily nobody got hurt and that's all that matters.

I now own a 2014 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum I bought from the Nissan dealer that I work at and it calls for 5w30 oil with a 5K OCI.

I still have almost 50 quarts of 10w30 in my garage that I had saved up for the Honda because I ran 10w30 in it with how much oil it burned and how tired the engine was.

My 2014 Pathfinder has 88,000 miles on it as of right now, for upcoming oil changes would I be safe to use up my remaining stock of 10w30 in it? Or at least for the summer during hotter weather can I run my remaining 10w30 through it?

hey, when i was a kid (80's and 90's) we ran 10w30 in everything year round....
even post 2000, when I had my Y2k Hyundai Sonata,.. it called for 5w30, and always burned a qt/1000 mi. from the first oil change i had done, I always ran 10w30.. again, year round. at the time living in Lima, and Columbus, OH.

everything ran just fine save the few times every couple years we'd go sub zero for a day or two... even then, it seemed like the issue was the Hyundai trans fluid needing to warm up.

A couple weeks ago I totalled the Linoleum Falcon, the CR-V is no longer. Luckily nobody got hurt and that's all that matters.

I now own a 2014 Nissan Pathfinder Platinum I bought from the Nissan dealer that I work at and it calls for 5w30 oil with a 5K OCI.

I still have almost 50 quarts of 10w30 in my garage that I had saved up for the Honda because I ran 10w30 in it with how much oil it burned and how tired the engine was.

My 2014 Pathfinder has 88,000 miles on it as of right now, for upcoming oil changes would I be safe to use up my remaining stock of 10w30 in it? Or at least for the summer during hotter weather can I run my remaining 10w30 through it?
Use the 10W-30 with confidence it will not hurt a thing.

I suppose if you replaced one quart with a thin 0W30 it would lower the W rating. Or it may explode.

I'd use it from April or May until Oct, maybe even Nov.

Heck as a new-to-you car perhaps burn a bit off with some short OCI's, if it makes you feel better. I know people used to use 10W30 year round, or even thicker, but I think your battery will thank you if you splurge for the thinner stuff in winter.

Use it up but not in the winter. I still remember a 5 year Cadillac (filled with 10W-30) thumping away after a cold start in -30 or -40F as the oil pressure light glowed. No-one should do that to any engine.

Use it up but not in the winter. I still remember a 5 year Cadillac (filled with 10W-30) thumping away after a cold start in -30 or -40F as the oil pressure light glowed. No-one should do that to any engine.
in my 41.5 years of living in ohio... i've never seen it get that cold. we've had wind chills in that neighborhood on rare occasion, but actual air temps...-10F Maybe...and only for a day or 2.

Thanks everyone! I assumed it wouldn't be an issue but I just wanted to make sure. This is my first Nissan and I didn't know how sensitive they are to "wrong" oil.

in my 41.5 years of living in ohio... i've never seen it get that cold. we've had wind chills in that neighborhood on rare occasion, but actual air temps...-10F Maybe...and only for a day or 2.
Generally it doesn't stay below -10 here, you might hit -15 at the coldest part of the night but generally it doesn't stay below zero for days on end.

Generally it doesn't stay below -10 here, you might hit -15 at the coldest part of the night but generally it doesn't stay below zero for days on end.
off topic, but I think it’s pretty cool that you live in a town that was named after a transmission.

off topic, but I think it’s pretty cool that you live in a town that was named after a transmission.
More like the other way around, the transmission plant is long gone, all that's left is a fenced in overgrowing 50+ acre concrete lot with some low income housing built on a section of it.

I forget what the winter temp rating is for 10w30... IIRC it's like 10F or 0F or similar. How cold does Ohio get in winter?

I forget what the winter temp rating is for 10w30... IIRC it's like 10F or 0F or similar. How cold does Ohio get in winter?
Avg low is around 17F. Try here will be a few days in Dec/Jan/Feb below that, but few and not normally a bunch strung together.

Don't Hondas typically have "small" batteries? Yes I know 10Wx will flow at well below freezing. Still seems like tempting fate.

Now if you swap over to a bigger battery, then I'd be less concerned. I just know the 1 or 2 year old 51R in my CRV has gotten a few discharges and now is a slow cranker in the cold weather. YMMV.

Don't Hondas typically have "small" batteries? Yes I know 10Wx will flow at well below freezing. Still seems like tempting fate.

Now if you swap over to a bigger battery, then I'd be less concerned. I just know the 1 or 2 year old 51R in my CRV has gotten a few discharges and now is a slow cranker in the cold weather. YMMV.
I hammered out the sides of my battery tray and shoved a 24F from an old toyota with a ratchet strap as the tie-down into my CR-V back when I had it. I had to shim the battery posts because they were slightly smaller than the original 51R but I drove it like that for 4 years and never had to jump it once.

Edit: I should add, I used to do competition car audio, so I had an aftermarket 250 amp alternator with a 0 gauge charge wire going from the output post to the positive on the battery as well.

Last edited:
96,500 miles on the clock, changed the oil after I got off work yesterday and used that 10w30.

The Pathfinder is loving it, it's actually running noticably smoother and quieter than before. The oil that came out was dealer bulk 0w20.

I know the owners manual states I can run 0w20 OR 5w30 so I think after this I'll stick with 5w30.

Back