New car purchase (VW or Subaru) - where to start?

Hey fellas,

As some of you know, my Acura got totaled 2 weeks ago. Here is the link if you haven't seen it yet

I'm looking for brand new VW Jetta GLI DSG or slightly used (2017+) Audi A4 as a replacement.

I'm totally new to the VW world, are those reliable engines? I know that TSI/TFSI engines have been on the market for a while, my concern is more of dual-clutch reliability.

I don't change cars that often and always wanted to have port fuel injected + regular automatic for reliability, but it gets really hard to find both especially if you want to buy newer car. So I want to try something different (been driving different Hondas non stop since 2007). Especially if I buy it new I'll drive it several years, so that's why I just wanted to double check the reliability/longevity aspect of modern VW/Audis.

I'm not really into the performance aspect of both (nice to have but not must have), but wanted to have something with decent roll on power, track-ability of the Jetta GLI is a bonus.

I'm usually very anal in terms of maintaining my cars, I'm aware if I neglect it it will eventually give me problems which can happen in any type of car.

Another option for me is driving the CR-V in my signature, and buy Crosstrek Sport (with 2.5L engine) for wife. I know it's totally different than A4/Jetta but different types of cars for different drivers. I'm also wondering about modern CVT reliability/longevity especially from Subaru.

I had a chance to test drive the latest Mazda 3, CX-30 and they are too cramped especially the rear legroom, so we had to remove them from our shopping list.

Thanks in advance!

We were deciding between a VW Tiguan and an Outback, and then decided on a VW Atlas… go figure.

The TSI seems to be pretty solid save for the intake valve coking issues. The Boxer 2.5 seems solid as well.

I couldn’t handle the buzzy CVT so that would have difficult for me to swallow.

Get the volkswagen and with warranty.

Just service the dsg periodically and it is very reliable.

Im sure they make 7 speed autos too

If you're brave enough to try a German car, get a Mercedes A-Class, B-Class, or maybe even a C-Class wagon. None of those are sold in the US.

The Mazda 5 and Kia Rondo were sold in Canada until a few years ago.

Between VW and Subaru, I'd go Subaru. The Forester is available with a giant sunroof, and it actually has good visibility, which is rare in modern cars.

Since you had a CSX, what do you think of the ILX? :unsure:

Thanks - as you guys mentioned maintenance is the key, which I am always on top of it for all of my cars/bikes. Good to know.

No one has it in stock but there is one Pure Gray (that's the color I want) DSG GLI coming in September to the dealership, I think I'll pay deposit for that to secure the car.

If you're brave enough to try a German car, get a Mercedes A-Class, B-Class, or maybe even a C-Class wagon. None of those are sold in the US.

The Mazda 5 and Kia Rondo were sold in Canada until a few years ago.

Between VW and Subaru, I'd go Subaru. The Forester is available with a giant sunroof, and it actually has good visibility, which is rare in modern cars.

Since you had a CSX, what do you think of the ILX? :unsure:

I just want to try a different brand, been driving Honda/Acura for more than a decade and Japanese cars since 2005. ILX is nice, but if I really want to have a Honda, I would have bought the Accord for a similar price.

Mercedes you mentioned above are all out of my budget. We are expecting and I really don't want to stretch my budget. I think that GLI offers most bang for the buck - at least in Canadian market - as it comes with decent features such as memory seats/cooled seats/ digital cluster/limited slip diff etc. and good passenger accommodation for a reasonable price (it's $5k cheaper than GTI and they are both made in Mexico).

I thought about the Forester, we already have CR-V and don't really need same type of car. Crosstrek feels more like a raised hatchback more than an SUV.

I know buying brand new is a stupid decision (financially) but I just want to buy it for the first time in my life, and will keep it as long as I can.

Last edited:
I'm not fond of the new Subaru vs what they were making 5 years ago.
We have a new Outback only cost 26 out the door. The engine sounds like its going to explode and the interior feels like a cheap chinese knockoff of a real Subaru. Not happy.
If you don't want ultimate performance I'd grab a Golf before they are all gone vs a Jetta GLI.

Or get the new Accord look-a-like 2022 Civic:

22 civic.jpg

Avoid giant sunroofs if you can't live with the rattle. Ask me how I know.

Current gen 2.0T (EA888 3G) are reliable, pretty efficient and feel torquey.
While personally I prefer manuals the wet-clutch DSGs are reliable if you
maintain them accordingly (oil changes). It's the dry-clutch 7-speed DSG
(DQ200) they sell in Asia and Europe which had major flaws.
Have test drives, build your own using the online configurator, read some
reviews if you like, find a good dealer.

The VW is a much better car all round. Much better for rust control and I hate to say (because the old closed deck scooby engine were just so **** good) it but a better engine and drive train. I do like the scooby AWD system better but not the CVT. VW for the interior win hands down.
VW sunroofs have always been a sore spot all the way back to the folding canvas jobs better with no hole in the roof.

Get the VW, life is too short to spend it looking at the interior quality of a Subaru.

If you’re already anal retentive about maintenance and buying new the DSG and other German stuff isn’t a big deal. AWD is largely unnecessary, despite what Subaru people will tell you. A FWD with snow tires will do the job just as well for most snowy climates. Did AWD on the wife’s car and regret the additional costs associated with it.

Get the VW, life is too short to spend it looking at the interior quality of a Subaru.

If you’re already anal retentive about maintenance and buying new the DSG and other German stuff isn’t a big deal. AWD is largely unnecessary, despite what Subaru people will tell you. A FWD with snow tires will do the job just as well for most snowy climates. Did AWD on the wife’s car and regret the additional costs associated with it.

I've been driving FWD for a looong time (including daily and track days in the past) and I'm fine with it. GLI comes with limited slip diff, which should be even better in snow.

I don't mind not having AWD, and we have one AWD car already so it's not that important for me.

I'll echo most of the other positive VW comments. The DSG is fantastic and will be fine if properly maintained (needs service every 40k). I've had a lot of VW's and an Audi, the current one is at 54k and has not had a single repair. And it's a joy to drive.

The GLI with DSG should be a lot of fun, not sitting at every stop light and is a very good looking car.

I also looked at lightly used A4s when I purchased my 2018 new, but the "new" and the warranty were too much to pass up even though the A4 was unquestionably a nicer car.

Get the 8 speed aisin unit car if you think dsg no good monkey engineering,

Aisin does not fail, even after 100,000 miles of neglect.

I wish it was available in GLI - I'd prefer slightly slower shift times for more longevity.

However, it seems like GLI's 7 speed unit isn't that bad as it is wet clutch, so I pulled the trigger and put deposit on pure gray one. I'll take the delivery by the end of September.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experience and input.

Back