New car pricing Moderating... Deal to report, New Telluride MSRP +$4200

I have my mom in her 3rd new Kia in about 5 months this year. Just bought her 3rd Telluride at about MSRP +$4200 at a NJ dealer. It's cooling down for sure. We had turned down $5k over a couple times in the last week. Someone ordered this car and didn't know or didn't want to pay the $5700 markup they requested. Of course many of the inquires I've made in the last weeks have been dealers asking $8-$12k over. If we didn't fine one, we were going order as 2023 at MSRP locally. But no more nightfall edition and prices will probably go up $1k or so.

We lucked out on an MSRP cancel pickup in Virginia in the Spring and sold it shortly thereafter for 10k over to a dealer. That car is still for sale used at MSRP + $16k in Texas.

Her first Telluride was '20 that we sold for original MSRP + about $3500 which was almost all of the tax, etc. 22,000 miles.

After the 2nd Telluride, we bought a Sorrento PHEV at MSRP on another cancellation locally. Sold it to Carvana last week for $50.9k, about $1500 below MSRP but we keep the federal rebate so $1900 profit after all expenses.

I just paid $4,200.00 over sticker a to replace a car that really didn't need replacing and got a "deal". Yea-sure. It's nice to get to play with mommy's money.

The OP is a great example of whats fueling above MSRP selling prices.

Last edited:
Daughter just got a 2022 Tiguan SE R line black 4motion for $1995 under msrp plus 500 off for college graduates special for her BSN in nursing.
Lady over 300 miles away ordered it 3 months ago, pearl white with cinnamon seats a sharp combo, but hadn't sent in her deposit. They gave her one call, she didn't answer so they offered it to her. While we were haggling the deal two other people came in and asked about it. The senior salesman, one I've bought a dozen cars through said he felt the inventory was catching back up and they wanted to move them to get their allotment up.
Its not the 10k off msrp I got on my Atlas back in 2020 but decent in today's market.
23 year olds can't take a straight picture 😆
IMG_1055.jpg
IMG_1057.jpg

Last edited:
The prices will go down I guarantee it. If not the bankruptcies will escalate. Well maybe both will happen in this economy. With interest rates going up another .75 things will begin to cool down......at least I hope so hahahaha. Crazy car prices = CRAZY BUYERS!!!!!!!!! ( With no common sense or too much money). Maybe both!!!!!!

But guys, didnt you hear this bubble is different. It will never pop, its the new normal.:) If I had a dollar for everytime I heard some guru say that over the last 60 years I could have retired a month earlier. Housing will continue to increase 15%/year, Used car prices will continue to be greater than new cars and both will increase 10%/yr, The stock market will grow 27% year over year indefinitely. Oh yea, salaries will only grow 6% until layoffs start and Social Security will dry up and be cut in the next 5 years.
On a more serious note I did see a report that repo's were up last quarter.

Some do for various reasons, many will not.
Very true. I don't pay sticker with the exception of my Honda Monkey. I paid the $3999 and that was what you had to pay at that time. I am old fashioned and like the 10% off sticker or more. Those days will be coming back again.

Paying $4200 over sticker for a KIA hardly means the market is moderating. Get back to me at $4200 UNDER sticker and we'll talk!

"MODERATING" Didn't say it was a screaming deal by any means or that it won't normalize further- I expect that. But market at least for Tellurides has absolutely 100% moderated. How else would we sell a 2020 with 22k miles 3500 over list and then have at least 3 options 4-5k over new 4 months later ?

"MODERATING" Didn't say it was a screaming deal by any means or that it won't normalize further- I expect that. But market at least for Tellurides has absolutely 100% moderated. How else would we sell a 2020 with 22k miles 3500 over list and then have at least 3 options 4-5k over new 4 months later ?
You are paying sales tax and doc fees each time? Right?

Just bought a 22 CRV for the wife. This is the EX-L model, 2WD. Got it for 33145. I guess after buying over 8 Honda's from the same dealer, they showed me some love. I had my vasoline jar out when they wrote down the price....because I was sweating the dealer markups that I've been reading about. Glad to say, didn't have to open the vasoline jar......

You are paying sales tax and doc fees each time? Right?

Absolutely, tons of friction. But we sold the first 20-month old one and then cleared about $8k on the next two cars, after all fees, tax, motor vehicle fees. If we didn't have to keep paying sales tax there would have been $10k more in our pockets. You're welcome Gov'n Murphy.

Just bought a 22 CRV for the wife. This is the EX-L model, 2WD. Got it for 33145. I guess after buying over 8 Honda's from the same dealer, they showed me some love. I had my vasoline jar out when they wrote down the price....because I was sweating the dealer markups that I've been reading about. Glad to say, didn't have to open the vasoline jar......

Congrats. How was the pricing compared to list (not counting doc fee, tax, motor vehicle)
I paid 4% under invoice on my '22 Mustang in February + a rebate.
Ordered Escape plug-in at 3% under invoice + rebate. Patience pays off.

Back