New Car - oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many k's/mi's should you go before your first oil change - the manual says 8000K
confused.gif

I personally like to do the very first oil change on my car by about 800 to 1000km. My father's new Volvo has just over 2000km on it and I'm bugging him every day to go get his done!
smile.gif

I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable going to 8000km on the factory fill.

3000km would probably be my absolute upper limit, although in most cases I'm doing my second oil change at that mileage!
smile.gif

What kind of car is it?

[ August 12, 2003, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Volvo says 5,000 miles. Volvo tech said 1,000 miles. I went with the 1000 miles on the break-in oil.

quote:

Originally posted by PJH2:
How many k's/mi's should you go before your first oil change - the manual says 8000K
confused.gif

Opinion's definitely divided on this issue. Recent Honda owners cite chapter and verse that their owners' manuals solemnly instruct to leave the factory-fill oil in for 10,000 miles. Honda motors don't seem to be falling apart wholesale. Adherrents to this approach cite references that engine clearances are more accurately machined, and the sliding parts are micro-polished and don't require a formal break-in to achieve final milling. I've always changed out the factory-fill oil at 500 miles. That philosophy suggests getting the left-over assembly debris and whatever initial wear metals may be present out as soon as possible. Who's right?
dunno.gif
I'd say at this point it comes down to a "feel-good" approach and do whatever floats your boat. What I would suggest, though, is to take it easy for the first 500 miles. Avoiding hard acceleration and speeds in excess of 55 mph-60 mph for that period could mean more in the long run than how soon you do your initial oil and filter change. (unless you don't plan on keeping your new car long enough to make it worthwhile...)

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
I personally like to do the very first oil change on my car by about 800 to 1000km. My father's new Volvo has just over 2000km on it and I'm bugging him every day to go get his done!
smile.gif

I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable going to 8000km on the factory fill.

3000km would probably be my absolute upper limit, although in most cases I'm doing my second oil change at that mileage!
smile.gif

What kind of car is it?

Mazda Protege5
thanks Paul

Anyone have a coin?? Will flip.
smile.gif
I like the Idea og putting in synthetic as soon as possible. I went with 30 miles on my last one. But that is a little crazy. Probably 1000 miles.

PJH2,

I have a regimen I like...first change @800kms; 2d change @2400kms (1600KM interval); 3rd change @4800kms (2400km interval); then begin changes at whatever intervals you plan to use long-term. (Hope I figured the conversion right--should be changes @ 500, 1500, and 3000 miles.)

[ August 12, 2003, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Good question

My wife's Honda Civic was changed at 1650 miles. I'm thinking of changing it again at 4500 miles (total), and then going to 5000 OIC until UOAs show I can do more.

The miles on oil changes on my Honda bike went like this: 250, 500, 1500, 2500, 5000, and then every 5000.

I would have done the same with the Civic, except to for darn "leave in the special break-in oil" rumor.

I changed my oil at 1500 miles on my Tacoma and put the m1 in. I will change this m1 at 6 months 3500 miles.

Daily Drives
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, Impulse Red, Peppy 2.7 Liter 4 Banger, Running Mobil1 Synthetics SS 5W-30.
ODO 4300 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner, Evergreen, 3.0 V6, Running Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 80500 Miles.

I like to perform the first oil change at 2000 miles (3218.6 km) and then go to a 3000 mile (4828 km) maintenance interval. This has worked well for me. Hey, I'd like to be an honorary Canadian too!
canada.gif

My Audi came filled with synthetic oil from the factory. And handn't it been for Castrol and their clever marketing, my car wouldn't have seen anything else than synthetic oil after the factory fill.
mad.gif

[ August 13, 2003, 12:59 AM: Message edited by: moribundman ]

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:
I like to perform the first oil change at 2000 miles (3218.6 km) and then go to a 3000 mile (4828 km) maintenance interval. This has worked well for me. Hey, I'd like to be an honorary Canadian too!
canada.gif

With such precise conversions like that, you got it!
canada.gif

I do not know if oil will degrade over time, some cars are on the lot for up to 300 days before they sell, the one I bought had. I drove it 500 miles with a magnet on the filter. Drained and replaced the filter , again at 3000 miles. Now I am into the syn. oil {Mobil 1) and will change oil and filter every 7.500 - 8000 miles. The first change I feel is the most important and critical.

[ August 13, 2003, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: badnews ]

Ask yourself this.

Is the advice the dealer techs telling me good for me or for them? They want your business and if you ask them they are likely to try to convince you to come in a often as they think you are inclined to. The have a vested interested in seeing you come back for service.

Follow the owners manual, its the best guide you have. Everyone has opinions but when it comes down to it, its your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back