New car oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 2009 Ford Focus (the only American car company that didn't take our money) and have heard I should change the oil after 400 miles (rod shavings), then every 3000 after that. Does that still hold true and what is a good oil? In my other car I use a WIX filter, 1/2 conventional and 1/2 synthetic oil with a cup of Lucas. They now have an engine break-in product I'm considering. This is my first new car and I'd like the help.

No need to change the oil THAT often. Can't hurt to do do one early oil change, but I'd go further than 400 miles. For the rest of the time, 3k changes are a complete waste.

Car call for 5W-20 every 7500 miles, and Motorcraft makes an excellent synthetic blend oil that will work great. Or, any other 5W-20 of your choice will do this as well.

Skip the home blending with Lucas - stuff is garbage!

I have the 07 Focus, and 400 mile then the 3000 mile OCI sounds good. After 10,000 miles I would go with the Ford recomended 7500 mile OC using M1 5-20 untill the warranty is up. As you can see I now do 10,000 mile OCIs with M1 5-30EP with good results. I did 0ne UOA and it was very good.

Last edited:
There is no reason to change out the FF that soon. I think 1,500 to 2,000 is better. I would then use MC Syn or PP 5W/20 and change it every 5,000 miles. The factory filter is also very good.

You want to run the factory fill a little longer. My TC I ran the factory fill to 2500 miles, then did a dino oil change for another 2500 just to make sure I cleaned out any residual. After that straight onto 5k OCI's.

Usually the factory fill comes with some extra additive goodies to help out the engine some, ride it out a little longer and drive it like you would normally drive any car. My tC on the 2nd oil change was flying on the way down to the shore at speeds I don't want to mention, that was at the end of my 2500 2nd OCI.

Drive it hard enough to break it in, for first 1000 miles. than drain, but original oil filter is still good. Regular conventional oil like MC5w20 or YB. NO Lucas!!! After that pick a synthetic and change every 5000 miles. SuperTech by Warren gets excellent UOA, and they are a very diligent and conscientious firm, but NAPA puts their synthetic on sale every now and then for even cheaper. I also believe in 50:50 conventional:synthetic, but since all 5w20 now is group 2+, you don't need to waste money by blending it with a group 3. Personally I would be tempted to use 3 quarts 5w20 MC semi synth, with 1 quart 5w30 synthetic. The 5w30 synthetic component will help the 5w20 stay in grade better, and prevent it from shearing out of grade.

Congrats on the new Focus!
- Stop using Lucas, you are wasting your money. the oils we purchase today are well-balanced and need no help.
- Stop mixing your own oil. (I know, alot of people here do it, but.....) If you want the economy of a dino, use a dino. if you want the benefits of a synthetic, dont dilute the synthetic with that much dino, as you greatly reduce the benefits of the fill. synthetic oil is not much more than Dino, if you shop carefully. Napa recently had theirs for 2.99 a qt. with current rebates, you can get M1 for $12 a 5q jug, or Penzz Plat for 15 or less.
- I'm not sure on your OCI, since I dont know how many miles you drive and your driving type/style. If you go dino, I would stay in the 3-5k range. if you go synthetic, I would tend towards 5-10k miles.

congrats on the focus

i'm not a believer in any oil additive, if you use quality motor oil you shouldn't have anything to worry about.(motorcraft 5w-20 is a very good oil, priced very competitively)
now on to your question that almost everyone on here is going to disagree with me, first oc, i follow owners manual and i have never seen anything in any of my new cars about short mileage first oil change, what may have been the case 50?years ago is not the case now. over the last 25 years i have bought 9 new and 3 used fords and have followed whatever the owners manual reccomends for oc, first and everyone thereafter, either 5000 or 7500 mi. depending on model, some we have had in excess of 200,000 mi. and never any lube related problems. if manufacturers thought there was a need for an early first oc, trust me it would be boldly stated in owners manual. i am well aware of all of the parts wearing in together internally, but you have an oil filter, so again just follow owners manual
forgot, motorcraft filters are very good also

Last edited:
Lucas will thicken your 5w20 up to a 30 weight. If you want to run a 30 weight then buy 5w30.
Currently all 5w20s are syn blends. No need to blend your own.
Your car manual will tell you what your oil change interval will be.
If your car is know for rod shavings at the time of break in then yes change the oil now and then go to a ford forum and ask them how long you need to keep running the short oil change intervals.

Last edited:
I prefer to keep the factory oil in for ~ 2,500-3,000 miles. That allows the assembly lubes and any other additives the factory may put in to do the job of preventing scuffing and such. I go the ~ 2,500 and put the correct weight Synthetic oil in at that time. The next change is at 6,000 or 7,500 depending on factory recommendations. Works for me and I keep my cars running excellent for 125,000+ miles when I sell. Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back