New Car New Oil Changes (Toyota Content)

Good Morning all. I won't go crazy with introductions but will state that my oil changes across the board have always been with Castrol Edge (formerly Syntec when I began using it). Currently in the garage is a 2012 VW GLI 2.0T running the 5W-40 Castrol Edge High Mileage (146k) and previously our 2005 Jeep Liberty 3.7L on Castrol Edge High Mileage 5W-30 (205k). We sold the Jeep and brought in our brand new 2021 Toyota Highlander XLE AWD with the 3.5L V6. So far I love everything about this car and it feels like a spaceship compared to the Jeep.

I am about to do the first oil change and was going to stick with Castrol Edge and use the EP gold bottles instead. I'm pretty religious about 5k oil changes and it seems to call for 5W-30 but am happy to hear about alternative oil brands and weights as well as filters. I was planning on grabbing the Toyota OEM filter. I should add we keep our cars (as evidence in the first paragraph) so this will be around for awhile.

Thanks and look forward to the replies!

highlander4.jpg

Good Morning all. I won't go crazy with introductions but will state that my oil changes across the board have always been with Castrol Edge (formerly Syntec when I began using it). Currently in the garage is a 2012 VW GLI 2.0T running the 5W-40 Castrol Edge High Mileage (146k) and previously our 2005 Jeep Liberty 3.7L on Castrol Edge High Mileage 5W-30 (205k). We sold the Jeep and brought in our brand new 2021 Toyota Highlander XLE AWD with the 3.5L V6. So far I love everything about this car and it feels like a spaceship compared to the Jeep.

I am about to do the first oil change and was going to stick with Castrol Edge and use the EP gold bottles instead. I'm pretty religious about 5k oil changes and it seems to call for 5W-30 but am happy to hear about alternative oil brands and weights as well as filters. I was planning on grabbing the Toyota OEM filter. I should add we keep our cars (as evidence in the first paragraph) so this will be around for awhile.

View attachment 88258
What does the owners manual suggest? Using Castrol edge EP for 5k is a huge waste of $. It could likely do 10k (which is usually what Toyota specs) on super tech/Kirkland.

Sheesh! I don't see how a 5,000 mile oil change with a good quality oil on an expensive new car is a waste. The waste is using a lower-tier oil (even an acceptable one) and stretching it to 10,000 miles ... IMO, that may be a waste of a nice Toyota.

Sure it is. There’s lots of life left in it, and it’s being dumped. That’s the definition of waste.

Any particular oil can say it is good for 10,000 or even 20,000 miles as Castrol says their Edge Gold can do but only if the engine will allow it.

Would you run the Edge Gold in a four cylinder turbo GDI engine?

How do we know it has lots of life in it?
1. Plenty of guys running 10k intervals in their 2gr-fes with lesser oils.
2. The oil is rated for 20k
3. The engineers have specd 10k intervals and there’s likely plenty of safety factor built in
4. I’m willing to bet a lot of money that if OP ran his car for 10k on that oil and sent in a UOA would come out stellar
5. Toyota did not build their reputation on people over maintaining their cars

:)

Any particular oil can say it is good for 10,000 or even 20,000 miles as Castrol says their Edge Gold can do but only if the engine will allow it.

Would you run the Edge Gold in a four cylinder turbo GDI engine?
If the oil meets all specs for the 4 Cyl turbo engine….absolutely! 👍🏼

View attachment 88258

0w20 is the stuff to use. I've tried a few brands of real synthetics, and I settled on a Group III+, Pennzoil ultra platinum seem to work really well.
I think its the best bang for the buck. 1/3 the cost of amsoil, but almost as good.

Stick with the 5~7k mile OCI, as you'll see in this video.

Sheesh! I don't see how a 5,000 mile oil change with a good quality oil on an expensive new car is a waste. The waste is using a lower-tier oil (even an acceptable one) and stretching it to 10,000 miles ... IMO, that may be a waste of a nice Toyota.
? Piles of evidence provided for years here and the same old tired mantra is repeated. IMHO.

Just say "I change it more frequently cos it makes me feel better and I can't make rational decisions over emotional ones" we understand and accept that.

Last edited:
0w20 is the stuff to use. I've tried a few brands of real synthetics, and I settled on a Group III+, Pennzoil ultra platinum seem to work really well.
I think its the best bang for the buck. 1/3 the cost of amsoil, but almost as good.

Stick with the 5~7k mile OCI, as you'll see in this video.

Fear mongering from a “Toyota tech” vs real life data posted in the UOA section. I think I know which route I’ll choose. There’s plenty of examples of 1gr-fe, 2gr-fe, 1uz-fe, etc platforms going 10k+ EASY

View attachment 88258
Great looking rig! It looks like the owners manual and maintenance guide calls for 0w-20 (5w-20 can be substituted) with 10k mile OCI's. I wouldn't recommend deviating from that viscosity or going past that OCI while under the powertrain warranty just in case there are any issues.

To meet the oil requirements, you just need to use a GF-5 (or newer) approved oil, and you'd be hard pressed to find anything other than GF-6 on store shelves now.

1. Plenty of guys running 10k intervals in their 2gr-fes with lesser oils.
2. The oil is rated for 20k
3. The engineers have specd 10k intervals and there’s likely plenty of safety factor built in
4. I’m willing to bet a lot of money that if OP ran his car for 10k on that oil and sent in a UOA would come out stellar
5. Toyota did not build their reputation on people over maintaining their cars

:)
Valid points, but this is the GDI version of the 2gr-fe. Not exactly the same issue.

Fear mongering from a “Toyota tech” vs real life data posted in the UOA section.
The UOA's are questionable data, at best. The Toyota tech's comments have some validity on the engines prone to oil consumption, but not so much on the V6/V8's.

Valid points, but this is the GDI version of the 2gr-fe. Not exactly the same issue.

The UOA's are questionable data, at best. The Toyota tech's comments have some validity on the engines prone to oil consumption, but not so much on the V6/V8's.
Finally, a decent post. Isn’t this the same 2gr-fe with the D4S injection system in the 3rd gen Tacoma’s? I’ve seen plenty of Tacoma UOAs on Tacoma world where the guys push out their oci past 10k with hard use…no ill effects.

UOAs don’t give the whole story, you’re right, but it’s a lot better than conjecture that we see on a lot of these threads.

I think the techs comments are more geared towards the phase where Toyota had known consumption issues due to design problems (undersized oil return holes, piston rings, etc). All of which we’ve moved past from

Back