New car in the stable: '16 KIA Optima SXL Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long time, no see my friends!

I haven't been on as much as in years past, but wanted to let everyone know my wife finally replaced her troublesome Malibu Maxx with a 2016 KIA Optima SXL Turbo.
The car is fully maxed out - it has every option you can get: Nappa leather, and infotainment bells and whistles. It also has the 2.0L Turbo, which my wife really loves.
The car wasn't cheap, 50% more than a standard Optima, but she did the research and this car has done very well in safety and reliability. It's what she wanted.

We picked up the car with 34 miles on it and half of that was our test drive. After break in, I am contemplating which oil/filter to run.
KIA specifies an ACEA oil ranging from 5W30 to 20W50 for a 5000 mile interval (initial is 3000 miles). I plan to stick with 5W30 and was thinking about Mobil 1 or PP and KIA filters for a solid combo.

KIA's are great cars with beautiful styling.

CONGRATS!

Don't expect a lot of love for your purchase here on BITOG. It's not a 15 year old Crown Vic......

Congrats! I love the new Kia and it's styling. On the road they always manage to make my head turn. Now only if they would face lift the logo. That oval with the KIA notation looks so outdated.

Originally Posted By: CKN

CONGRATS!

Don't expect a lot of love for your purchase here on BITOG. It's not a 15 year old Crown Vic......
+1, it also probably didn't come with Michelin tires. Oh the horror!

5w30 synthetic and an OEM filter sounds like a good plan

Heck I'd probably run a 10w-30 synthetic since it's allowed or use M1 0w-40 and call it good. Those oils won't shear as bad with the added stress of turbos.

Thanks guys. Definitely staying with the KIA filters and as a SOPUS fan, probably going to go with PP or PU 5W30.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

CONGRATS!

It did! Michelin Primacy MXM4's in the 18" flavor

maxresdefault.jpg

Same exact color and rims with the black Nappa leather interior

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Thanks guys. Definitely staying with the KIA filters and as a SOPUS fan, probably going to go with PP or PU 5W30.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

CONGRATS!

It did! Michelin Primacy MXM4's in the 18" flavor
Well in that case, people here should love it!
crackmeup2.gif

I have a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Ultimate with the same 2.0 turbo engine as your Kia. After doing lots of reading, I've decided to go with OEM Hyundai/Kia filters and Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30. First oil change at 3,000 miles and then every 5,000 miles after that. PP meets the ACEA 5 requirement listed in the owner's manual although I realize that many other oils that don't have this rating would probably work just fine.

Enjoy the car! They are very nice!

KIA offered me a $25 Visa gift card to test drive an Optima Turbo. I was extremely impressed- it's a tremendous value. I have recommended the Turbo to several of my friends. It's a fantastic car- enjoy it!

Originally Posted By: MCompact
KIA offered me a $25 Visa gift card to test drive an Optima Turbo. I was extremely impressed- it's a tremendous value. I have recommended the Turbo to several of my friends. It's a fantastic car- enjoy it!

I received the same offer but it was for any Optima. I test drove the base model 2.4 liter which was pretty pokey from first to second with the ac on. After that it was fine. Gas pedal mounted to the floor. So the turbo sounds like the way to go. I think they even have a base model turbo with a 1.6 liter engine instead of the larger one in the SXL.

Congrats on the ride!

I've been using Mobil 1 Ow40 with Purolator Plus oil filters for the past 18k miles. My OCIs are 5k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back