New car, getting ready to go synthetic, I'm lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turbos can be rough on oil, otherwise Subaru engines are usually very gentle. If you're going to be following the recommended oil change interval (I believe 3750 miles or 6 months for their turbos), then any quality oil will do.

I personally would go with either M1 0w-30, M1 0w-40 (if you wanted something a bit thicker at temps), Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30, or Valvoline SynPower 5w-30. Any one of these oils is going to easily last the sub-4k mile oil change interval even with a turbo. In fact I think convention Pennzoil 5w-30 will last 4k miles in it, but personally I'd use synthetic b/c of the turbo. But that's just me and what I'd do.

As for burning oil, even though it occurred on different vehicles I don't feel it's the M1's fault. If you like M1, continue to use it and see how it performs in your Subaru, you might not have consumption problems.

Also, I'd suggest following the recommended oil change interval even with synthetic, at least while the vehicle is under warranty.

Lastly I just want to address why I did not suggest M1 5w-30, simply put I have absolutely no reason, I have nothing against M1 5w-30. I simply like the 0w's that you can get at the same price, even though my winter temps are never cold enough to take advantage of it. I've currently got M1 0w-30 in my Subaru (non-turbo) and it's running great, that's why I suggested the M1 0w-30

Originally Posted By: heypete
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
The only oil on the shelf I'd avoid is M1 5w-30.

For the best light synthetic oils, look for the ACEA A5 spec. M1 0w-30 does not carry it.

I respectfully disagree.

Mobil's Product Data Sheet clearly indicates that their 5W-30 clearly meets ACEA A1/B1 and A5/B5.

I'm currently testing this very oil in my Camry, and happen to have a bottle of it right here (purchased in the last month). Observe:

IMG_2883.JPG

IMG_2884.JPG

Please ignore the box of breakfast cereal in the background of the second picture. Clearly, I need to take out the recycling. The blurring is due to using 1/8 second exposures without a flash.

Edit: Oops. I mis-read the previous poster's statement. Please see the follow-up post on the next page.

Hey, is that "honey bucnhes of oats" thats good stuff!

So is the Mobil 1 of course. IMO, the 5w30 Mobil 1 is a solid performer. Its the grade that most north American and Japanese manufactures spec, when they use Mobil 1 from the factory. It does quite well in those situations. I think Mobil makes better grades, but there isnt anything wrong with the 5w30.

Originally Posted By: ryan2022

Hey, is that "honey bucnhes of oats" thats good stuff!

I prefer PP 5w30 with my honey bunches of oats....
13.gif

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
Well German Castrol is not made or imported into the USA any more so can we call it Castrol Syntec 0W30 and not continue to call it by the wrong name!

Did I miss some news? Audi Junkie and you sound like GC is going away. Is that true, say it ain't so.

Shameless bump, sorry, but I have to know. Is GC going away???????????????????
I cant find a thread that says that.

I think we would have heard more about that if it was the case. Maybe people are assuming the Made in USA 0w30 syntec is going to slowly replace the GC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back