New car, first oil change. Your choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a new 2019 Buick Regal TourX wagon and am thinking what to use from my stash for the first oil change.

I've already decided I'm changing it early since it was built 09/2018 in Germany and brought here. I don't know when it was first delivered to the dealer but I assume winter. I know how car dealers defrost the cars in the winter...they start them and let them idle until the snow is gone. They also move the cars around on the lot for presentation so the car has been short-tripped it's first 15 miles on the odometer.

The car is sold as the Opel/Vauxhall Country Tourer in Europe and uses the same 2.0l DIT. US oil shows Dexos 5w-30 as the only choice, no mention of G2. EU oil ranges from 0w-20 to 5w-40 depending on the temperature expectation. I like the line in the manual "Quality is more important viscosity when selecting which engine oil to use". I agree. Factory OCI is 7.5k miles but EU motors are 30,000km(18k miles). I think I'm going to do 5k oil and 10k filters using the OE PF64.

Here are a list of the quality oils I have now in enough quantity and will use one of them. No write-ins allowed!
lol.gif

In order of KV100:
M1AP 5w-20 D1G1
QSUD 5w-30 D1G1
M1EP 10w-30
Valvoline AFS 10w-30
M1AFE 0w-30
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0w-40
Valvoline MST 5w-40

I'm leaning toward the QSUD because it has a big dose of moly for break-in...but it has a calcium-heavy add-pack. I will use the 0w-xx oils for the upcoming winter.

What say you?

Originally Posted by LotI
US oil shows D1G2 5w-30 as the only choice.

Here are a list of the quality oils I have now in enough quantity and will use one of them. No write-ins allowed!
lol.gif

In order of KV100:
M1AP 5w-20 D1G1
QSUD 5w-30 D1G1
M1EP 10w-30
Valvoline AFS 10w-30
M1AFE 0w-30
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0w-40
Valvoline MST 5w-40

What say you?
Based upon what you posted which of the oils in your stash meet the requirements? Brand new car with warranty and all that...

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
You don't get free oil changes?
crazy2.gif

Just use the oldest oil first
smile.gif

Doesn't your Tourx have the OLM?

GM is getting cheap and only including 1 oil change. I have the oil already and its not worth the time to go to the dealer for them to mess it up.

OLM is 1yr or 7,500 miles.

Opinions vary, but I like to do the first oil change as soon as the car gets home - examine the drain pan and filter for glitter and chunks. 100 miles on that oil then drain & examine again, deciding how to progress based on how it looks.

Originally Posted by Olas
Opinions vary, but I like to do the first oil change as soon as the car gets home - examine the drain pan and filter for glitter and chunks. 100 miles on that oil then drain & examine again, deciding how to progress based on how it looks.

Valvoline MST or PUP Euro.

The only thing on that list is PUP Euro but personally I would use M1 0w40 year round in that engine. I tried the PU Euro 0w40 and had oil use issues after the oil had been in a while in a VW that never used any measurable oil on M1 0w40 or Castrol 0w40.
For the first half of the OCI it used no oil but in the later stage used oil like it had a leak, on the other oils nothing it goes the whole OCI without adding any. I suspect the oil is shearing down quickly after a point.

If there is a warranty issue down the road, how can you prove the oil was changed if it's coming from your stash? Not like you have a receipt from Walmart for a jug of oil bought last week.

That's what smart phones are for. Picture of the dash showing mileage, picture of new oil and filter, picture of removed filter and oil next to vehicle. All with metadata, takes less than 2 minutes. I would say that is well documented proof, plus the info on your last change is at your fingertips.

Originally Posted by atikovi
If there is a warranty issue down the road, how can you prove the oil was changed if it's coming from your stash? Not like you have a receipt from Walmart for a jug of oil bought last week.

Yep. Why I would never use stash oil on a warranty vehicle. I want the receipt with the approved oil purchased in the right time frame.

That car is rad and I considered it but ended up going with my v-dub wagon. I would only use an oil approved my manufacturer in a new car under warranty. This is the issue with "stashes"....great until you need something that you don't have.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Olas

I was thinking 1k miles to let it do it's job, maybe 500.
Originally Posted by Trav
The only thing on that list is PUP Euro but personally I would use M1 0w40 year round in that engine. I tried the PU Euro 0w40 and had oil use issues after the oil had been in a while in a VW that never used any measurable oil on M1 0w40 or Castrol 0w40.
For the first half of the OCI it used no oil but in the later stage used oil like it had a leak, on the other oils nothing it goes the whole OCI without adding any. I suspect the oil is shearing down quickly after a point.

It's not PUP, it's Platinum Euro. A UOA from my GTI had single digit Fe after 5k miles with no consumption.
Originally Posted by atikovi

I have receipts for all oil, WM makes it easy with their app.
Originally Posted by TiGeo
That car is rad and I considered it but ended up going with my v-dub wagon. .

I traded a GTI because of possible expensive repairs. My VW was already in 4 times under warranty. If VW made a Sportwagen with the 2.0T I would have considered it.
Originally Posted by wemay
1. QSUD d1G2
2. VAFS d1G2

No write-ins allowed!
Originally Posted by danez_yoda
mix them all up and make a frankenbrew. you have about 35k miles worth.

Now you're talkin'!

Any 5W-30 you got. Maybe change before the snow flies. No reason to change just because the car didn't sell right away. I'm sure the oil still looks new. I'd be more concerned about the battery. If nobody looked at the car and it didn't move for a while the battery goes dead and stays that way. On another thread we talked about battery life. I have a 2008 Saturn Vue that was only on the lot four months and the battery died within a year. The dealer replacement last nine years. Congratulations on your new ride. That's a really neat wagon. Or, considering where it came from, should we call it a shooting brake?

Very nice ride! I'm a little confused. 5w-30 Dexos 2 is the US Requirement. Since it's under warranty why take a chance using anything else? Especially since it's a 5w-30 and NOT a 0w-20 as recommended for so many newer cars. I'd go any buy some new oil unless you're willing to use the Mobil AFE 0w-30 from your stash. I'm starting to use more Castrol oil in my vehicles. How about some Edge or Magnetic. There are so many great choices of out! Now the question....stick w/one brand or vary in up?

The moly in QSUD is nowhere near the concentration required for AW assistance with break in. In fact, it levels would be counterproductive in an engine that actually requires break in. In said vehicle, though, it won't matter. It's an appropriate choice, however, given the specification.

Originally Posted by sparky123
Very nice ride! I'm a little confused. 5w-30 Dexos 2 is the US Requirement. Since it's under warranty why take a chance using anything else? Especially since it's a 5w-30 and NOT a 0w-20 as recommended for so many newer cars. I'd go any buy some new oil unless you're willing to use the Mobil AFE 0w-30 from your stash. I'm starting to use more Castrol oil in my vehicles. How about some Edge or Magnetic. There are so many great choices of out! Now the question....stick w/one brand or vary in up?

How about using the correct spec i.e. DEXOS 1 GEN2

DEXOS 2 is for diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back