New car first oil change at 500 miles - necessary???

Status
Not open for further replies.
quadrun 1, lemme guess, you got that "fuzzy" comment from Todd's NTPOG site?

I spoke to him about that. He was wrong to criticize the media for appearing very "fibrous." Those loose-looking fibers will not get stuck in the motor, they are on the upstream side of the media and the flow of oil pushes them back into the media.

Also, they clog less easily as the media is less 2-dimensional.

He told me he would change the text on his site but he never got around to doing it, I guess.
frown.gif

The Filtech filters are my top pick for all Hondas in North America.
grin.gif

--- Bror Jace

Sure, beyond mere physical appearances there are many things you look for in a good oil filter, such as:

-single pass efficiency
-high burst strength
-high flow rate, especially with cold oil
-anti-flowback valve when called for
-top mounted bypass system so as to avoid circulating oil over dirty media if the filter should bypass
-capacity

Examining oil filters simply by disassembling them won't provide quantitative data such as flow rate and single pass efficiency, but certainly we can glean some other information, such as how well the valves seal, and how much filter media is actually present..

Here's an ACDelco site which provides data about their now-discontinued "Ultraguard Gold" line of oil filters. These filters flow *and* filter very well..

http://www.acdelco.com/html/pi_filt_oil_gold_flow.htm

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
quadrun 1, lemme guess, you got that "fuzzy" comment from Todd's NTPOG site?

I spoke to him about that. He was wrong to criticize the media for appearing very "fibrous." Those loose-looking fibers will not get stuck in the motor, they are on the upstream side of the media and the flow of oil pushes them back into the media.

OK, well I certainly hope the fibers are now on the correct side of the media! A couple of years ago, when I had an Accord and used to do my own oil changes using North American Honda filters, I could actually see fibers protruding out into the central oil return passageway!

In the past, I've always been a fan of OE oil filters, but now I examine them more closely..

single pass efficiency
-high burst strength
-high flow rate, especially with cold oil
-anti-flowback valve when called for
-top mounted bypass system so as to avoid circulating oil over dirty media if the filter should bypass
-capacity

These are indeed attributes of filters. Hondo/Acura purportedly equips their vehicles with high quality filters. Presence and placement of valves are design specific and not necessarily indicators of high quality per se. Burst strength is a marginal concern. How often do filter cans blow on Hondas anyway, or any other vehicle for that matter, unless it's banged off road, for example?

But what about flow and efficiency? Aren't they what really make for a quality filter? What are those specs for the Honda part?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back