New car - dealer says change oil every 3000 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow your owner's manual for warranty coverage. You picked a car whose appeal is the cheap price and the long power train warranty.

So "hot...and dusty at times" means changing out full synthetic after 3,000 miles? What a joke! Like Colorado is hotter or more dusty than other parts of the country?

At best I'd do an OCI of 5K miles unless the car is always a short tripper or rides on dirt roads most of the time. And that would be only while under warranty.

That's why I try to stay away from dealers at all costs. I've had four Kias and one Hyundai and I'm sure I've never changed anything at 3K. Planning on changing every 5K with VWB or every 6K with MaxLife. Don't think this is a very fussy engine.

Originally Posted By: NO2
Many auto manufacturers list the entire state of Colorado as a severe service area due to the mountains and dusty eastern conditions, so the stealership may be correct for a turbo engine. Using M1 is a waste of money, just put a cheaper conventional oil for that OCI, except for the middle of winter if the OP frequently travels to the mountains with sub -25deg temperatures.

That is kind of contradictory? If you need a 3000mile oci because the turbo engine is hard on oil why would you go conventional?

Many also list any states that use road salt as severe service.

Originally Posted By: dbvettez061
Bought new Hyundai Elantra for run around car..
Dealer says due to the fact we’re in western Colorado the Mobil 1 5-20 must be changed every 3000 miles
You gotta be kidding me. I might have passed on the car had I known this.
They said it gets very hot here, true, and dusty at times.
Well, I’ll do it myself, as always, and keep receipts.

Consider filing a complaint to Hyundai over this advice. If the dealer knows you did this, they may be less inclined to screw you, when a warranty need arises on anything.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NH73
Originally Posted By: dbvettez061
Bought new Hyundai Elantra for run around car..
Dealer says due to the fact we’re in western Colorado the Mobil 1 5-20 must be changed every 3000 miles
You gotta be kidding me. I might have passed on the car had I known this.
They said it gets very hot here, true, and dusty at times.
Well, I’ll do it myself, as always, and keep receipts.

Consider filing a complaint to Hyundai over this advice. If the dealer knows you did this, they may be less inclined to screw you, when a warranty need arises on anything.

Never file a formal complaint and return to the dealer for any kind of work. People can be very spiteful. I saw it on more than one occasion at a Kia dealership I worked at. The mechanics used that place as a stepping stone to cut their teeth and then go work at better dealerships. Two guys in particular carried out acts of spitefulness that would set the censor software a blaze if I wrote about it. Bottom line if you're going to file a complaint I'd strongly suggest finding another shop.

I'm not saying everyone is going to be spiteful, the problem is knowing who is and who isn't. So it's saver to start with a clean slate somewhere else in my opinion.

demarpaint is correct. If you file a complaint like that - then have service there in the future, your trip back home from the dealer might show scattered bolts and nuts all over the road, from dealer mechanics that loosened those bolts and nuts in spite.

Bad-Bad idea to file a formal complaint - then return to that dealer for future service/work.

If you ever have warranty claim, that dealer is going to be the one involved. Me personally?. I would get it changed at 3750. It would be easy to deny a warranty claim under severe service. If they are the ones changing at the severe service level, then it would be much harder for them to deny it. Having been through warranty fights before, I do not want to do it anymore.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
If you ever have warranty claim, that dealer is going to be the one involved. Me personally?. I would get it changed at 3750. It would be easy to deny a warranty claim under severe service. If they are the ones changing at the severe service level, then it would be much harder for them to deny it. Having been through warranty fights before, I do not want to do it anymore.

I would be hard to deny a claim, not easy. All I have to prove is one same-vehicle owner getting service at that dealer and not getting his oil changed at 3750. If it's dusty for the OP here, then it's dusty for all new Hyundai vehicles rolling out of that dealer.

E-V-E-R-B-O-D-Y better be getting that oil changed at 3750, before they even think about denying my claim. Their vehicles get as much dust as mine.

There are a number of stories of customers who continually blamed the dealerships for whatever reason to get less than ideal service from them when needed. It’s not professional but it happens.

There have been a couple of stories as well of dealerships who refused a customer’s service after a dispute, forcing the customer to go elsewhere.

My take is that the difference between 3750 and 5K mile OCIs is negligible as it relates to something that you'd typically encounter for the warranty OR have an effect on the vehicle. If the crux of a warranty claim is centered around the 1250 mile difference then I would figure that the dealer would put up the same fight if you had done 3750 mile changes to supposed "severe" spec.

While it's true they could screw you for this disparity, in that instance I'd be more concerned with the overall quality of the car and my specific maintenance than the warranty. On that count, I'm happy I have a 1.6 Gamma II ( a Ward's Ten Best Engine recipient and where I know a guy whose got over 200K so far on his ) and, for example, not one of the problem 2.4 engines which would complicate that idea.

IMO, warranties are for major problems outside of recalls and not something that I'm going to have dangling over my head for 100K miles based on something that can be more of a nuisance than something that will effect the car. That's largely independent of the dealership screwing me on a potential warranty claim because almost all the major problems I've had in 40 years of owning vehicles have been outside of the warranty period and wouldn't have been covered ( or only partially covered ) by the warranty anyway. I'm happy to play those repeated odds.

Originally Posted By: bradtech
Hyundai & KIA can get rather nasty on their warranties from what I've heard & read online. I went through [censored] with a lemon Accent. They call for a timing belt change every 60k on my 2008 Santa Fe & transmission flush every 30k. Belt is a typical gates after market that could go 120k. Seems like they offer a long warranty than others but with stringent guidelines & added maintenance.

I have an 2011 Accent that I bought new. I had a few warranty issues and the dealer always fixed the car with no questions, even though I did all the maintenance myself. My timing belt interval is 90K (60 for severe). The manual defines carefully what severe usage is, and I would say typical usage is not severe. (Mine is certainly not.) I change the oil every 5000 miles to keep is simple, and sometimes I can go a bit over, if I'm busy.

Originally Posted By: Mar57
The Honda dealership where we bought our CR-V gave me a coupon for a free oil change. Took the car in and had the oil changed. About a week later I was checking the oil in our other car so I decided to check the Honda. The level on the dip stick indicated the oil was about a quart overfilled. Checked it a second time; same results. I took the car back to the dealership and talked with the service manager. He had the car brought in and a tech checked the dip stick. Yup, a quart over. He told me they routinely over fill by a half to a full quart because "these engines use oil". When I told him my car doesn't use a drop of oil between changes he didn't know what to say. He told the tech to bring the oil level to the full mark on the dip stick. I asked him if he thought the crank would whip the oil into foam because it was a quart over. He just gave me a blank look. I explained that foam doesn't lubricate an engine very well. Again the blank look. Well, I learned my lesson .. free isn't always a good deal and not to take my car back to that dealer for any type of service.

This is so similar to my experience with Hyundai... except I climbed under the car in the snowy parking lot of my apartment complex to drain the extra quart. Never took it there again, except for warranty repair.

On my 1.5L Turbo ecotec in my malibu. The dealer & chevy recommends 5k changes with Dexos 1 Gen2 oil. I plan on letting them do everything until the warranty is up. My oil normally has 25-35% oil life remaining at 5k. But I take it in anyways. I don't want to deal with warranty denials if the engine meltsdown which has happened for other people. When the dealer your using does everything & you follow their guidelines. They shouldn't deny the warranty claim. When I had my Accent I did the 3750 up until I got rid of it. On my Santa Fe I was the 2nd owner so I only had warranty until 36k/60k. It revolves around how much do you value your warranty & will the dealership/Hyundai screw you if there are problems. You could go longer than 3750 for sure. But is it worth the risk & hassle of battling Hyundai if some unrelated failure happens in your engine? When I was searching buying vehicles. Hyundai seemed to have recalls on engines quite a bit due to machining errors. I'd be worried they would have some defect & try to blame you going 5k on an OCI as the reason to avoid the new $3000-5000 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back