New car - dealer says change oil every 3000 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought new Hyundai Elantra for run around car..
Dealer says due to the fact we’re in western Colorado the Mobil 1 5-20 must be changed every 3000 miles
You gotta be kidding me. I might have passed on the car had I known this.
They said it gets very hot here, true, and dusty at times.
Well, I’ll do it myself, as always, and keep receipts.

Last edited by a moderator:
What does the owner's manual say? Quote them from there, and take it up with Hyundai Corporate if you so desire. Me I buy the car, and hope that's the last time I see the dealer until I'm ready to buy another car. The less I have to do with them the better.

I would do 5-6K OCI's and not think twice about it. IIRC, a Hyundai Tucson I had a while back had a similar severe use schedule. I still did 5k intervals.

Does not Hyundai have a severe service schedule of 3750 miles? That’s probably what the dealer is referring to.

Originally Posted By: Greg L
If that were me buying a new car from them, I would say "Ok...I'll buy it here, on the condition you give me free oil change service at this dealership for life"

If I can't trust them to give me the proper service advise, I certainly wouldn't trust them to actually service it. Especially for free.
wink.gif
God only knows what would happen, and I don't have the time to baby sit them.

If the price was right I'd buy it and that would be the last they see of me.

My Nissan has such a small sump that keeping only 3.25 qts. of oil over the severe service recommendation they have would make me worry about the engine. Nissan recommends 3750 miles for severe service. I change it every 3000 to make the math easier.

Demarpaint I agree with you. The less I see of the dealer the happier I am. I do ALL of my own work on the car. Uh oh, on my Versa Note it has a sealed transmission so I can't do the fluid change at home. I am pretty certain this is due to clueless owners who will not do the work it takes to keep a car running well. So we are punished for it by having sealed systems so the dealer will do the job. So far that is the ONLY thing I have taken my car into the dealership for. Oh that and the recalls. I will not ever buy a sealed system car again.

stealers NEVER see me after the sale be it new or preowned!!! they can RECOMMEND, but if REQUIRED it must be FREE by law. if concerned about oil lasting after break in use a REAL synthetic oil like Redline also a 5-30 would be a better choice providing a thicker oil film IMO as todays recommended xxW20 oils are for meeting the EPA's mileage + not a longer lasting engine!!!

Do what the owner's manual says, and keep receipts and records.

Sorry, but Colorado has got nothing on Phoenix as far as temperature and dust. And I don't think the heat here matters much anyways.

IMHO, due to their (and Kia) engines' designs and build materials used - do 4k miles OCIs and either OEM or a quality filter.
Don't kill your engine at 100-150k miles.

Unfortunately, some of these dealer people are so inarticulate that you don't know if they're trying to get you in the service bay every 3K miles or referring to the 3750 mile "severe" schedule. In either case, I'd change it every 5K miles if you have the 2.0 liter Atkinson Cycle engine, drive normally, and are changing it yourself. This basically splits the difference between the normal and severe schedules and what I would do anyway.

Originally Posted By: benjy
stealers NEVER see me after the sale be it new or preowned!!! they can RECOMMEND, but if REQUIRED it must be FREE by law. if concerned about oil lasting after break in use a REAL synthetic oil like Redline also a 5-30 would be a better choice providing a thicker oil film IMO as todays recommended xxW20 oils are for meeting the EPA's mileage + not a longer lasting engine!!!

Wow! It has been a while since I have seen such a post full of inaccurate statements.

Read your manual!

Oil change service interval for non-turbo Hyundais is 7,500 mi (3,750 mi servere). Turbos are 6,000 mi (3,000 mi servere).

My dealer also recommends 3,000 mi. Just trying to generate extra revenue.

Originally Posted By: knerml
Read your manual!

Oil change service interval for non-turbo Hyundais is 7,500 mi (3,750 mi servere). Turbos are 6,000 mi (3,000 mi servere).

My dealer also recommends 3,000 mi. Just trying to generate extra revenue.

if manual says change at severe w/ turbo every 3k then good for them (mfg) for at least being cautious. I have a Honda with di and turbo and those bafoons think I can go by the olm. want to see what happened to my oil at 7k in the winter with short trips. it aint pretty that's for sure...I change at 2k in peak winter months and 3k for the rest.

When I bought the Sonata 12 years ago, the dealer said 3000. The manual said 3750 severe service so I followed that. Took it to dealer for my free oil change, they said "3750 it's a little dark from being overdue." I checked at home, it was a quart low. So I'm supposed to follow their OCI advice when they can't even put the right amount in?
15.gif

I remember reading an article about finding a good auto service shop. One of the suggestions was to try them for something simple like an oil change. If they don't handle that correctly then find somewhere else to take it.

The manual also says API SM + ILSAC GF-4, or ACEA A5. No need for a synthetic.

Right now, you can get Mobil Super 5W-20 at Wal Mart for less than $3/qt. That's API SN/ILSAC GF-5, which is better than the car needs. Change that every 3750 and you'll be sittin' pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back