New car - dealer says change oil every 3000 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: benjy
stealers NEVER see me after the sale be it new or preowned!!! they can RECOMMEND, but if REQUIRED it must be FREE by law. if concerned about oil lasting after break in use a REAL synthetic oil like Redline also a 5-30 would be a better choice providing a thicker oil film IMO as todays recommended xxW20 oils are for meeting the EPA's mileage + not a longer lasting engine!!!

Wow! It has been a while since I have seen such a post full of inaccurate statements.

He's not wrong about the oil weight, but the RL in a normal car does not make this poster seem sincere.

Service is the biggest revenue generator in a car stealership business.

That statement is normal and probably said to everybody.
Trust me, a few people will agree and keep going to them for service.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I remember reading an article about finding a good auto service shop. One of the suggestions was to try them for something simple like an oil change. If they don't handle that correctly then find somewhere else to take it.

I have found a good Jiffy Lube that lets me bring in my oil and filter. They use Pennzoil, but I like using QSUD as the equivalent d1G2 5W30 has a higher 100C viscosity.

Hyundai & KIA can get rather nasty on their warranties from what I've heard & read online. I went through [censored] with a lemon Accent. They call for a timing belt change every 60k on my 2008 Santa Fe & transmission flush every 30k. Belt is a typical gates after market that could go 120k. Seems like they offer a long warranty than others but with stringent guidelines & added maintenance.

Just keep your receipts for records use OE filter and a quality synthetic. Change out 5k don't even entertain the dealership bullhock.

Originally Posted By: bradtech
Hyundai & KIA can get rather nasty on their warranties from what I've heard & read online. I went through [censored] with a lemon Accent. They call for a timing belt change every 60k on my 2008 Santa Fe & transmission flush every 30k. Belt is a typical gates after market that could go 120k. Seems like they offer a long warranty than others but with stringent guidelines & added maintenance.

That way they can more easily deny your high dollar warranty claim. "I see you went 4k on an OCI back in ... NO warranty for you!

That is the dealer's schedule/recommendation. Go by the manual and it is the type of driving you do, not necessarily where you live. I have a 2013 Elantra, I have gone with the 5000 mile OCI since new with synthetic, lots of short trips for me
Just keep your receipts . Severe service on mine is 3,750 but also it says nothing of conventional versus synthetic. I would not worry about it, just do the oil changes not to exceed 7,500 miles and you will be fine.

Bull Carp!

Here in Miami steam-cooker heat they are perfectly fine going by the manual. At least the two Hyundai dealerships i frequent. And the dealerships have always been helpful and easy to work with.

I would change it every 5K and keep the receipts and mileage for backup. Use weight and spec as what's written in the manual. I would buy the same OEM filter the dealer uses, at least until the warranty expires..

its a revenue generator. My car requires 5w30 full syn meeting ms-13340

and they still put 3000oci stickers on car.

it has an oil life monitor.. which so far looks to be near 10000miles.

M1 and 3K changes. That stealer is looking out for you bigly. Around here they sell ethanol treatment to combat the harmful effects of ethanol in E10 in your FFV. Nice folks.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: Greg L
If that were me buying a new car from them, I would say "Ok...I'll buy it here, on the condition you give me free oil change service at this dealership for life"

If I can't trust them to give me the proper service advise, I certainly wouldn't trust them to actually service it. Especially for free.
wink.gif
God only knows what would happen, and I don't have the time to baby sit them.

Very good point.

The Honda dealership where we bought our CR-V gave me a coupon for a free oil change. Took the car in and had the oil changed. About a week later I was checking the oil in our other car so I decided to check the Honda. The level on the dip stick indicated the oil was about a quart overfilled. Checked it a second time; same results. I took the car back to the dealership and talked with the service manager. He had the car brought in and a tech checked the dip stick. Yup, a quart over. He told me they routinely over fill by a half to a full quart because "these engines use oil". When I told him my car doesn't use a drop of oil between changes he didn't know what to say. He told the tech to bring the oil level to the full mark on the dip stick. I asked him if he thought the crank would whip the oil into foam because it was a quart over. He just gave me a blank look. I explained that foam doesn't lubricate an engine very well. Again the blank look. Well, I learned my lesson .. free isn't always a good deal and not to take my car back to that dealer for any type of service.

Just wondering if it was the sales person or a member of the service department that said 3,000 miles.

Service advisor or manager would absolutely know the factory service schedule.

Sales... not so much.

GF got the same car... salesman said the same thing... to bring it back for the free first oil change at 3,000 miles... I said it gets driven all highway so we'll see you at 5,000 as the manual says 7,500 ... he said as long as you go by the book, you're good. I'll let them do the free one, then I'll likely do the rest as I always have. On the 2014 Accent she was driving before handing it off to the daughter, after the first 4 conventional oil changes at 5,000 intervals, then 2 at 7,500 mile intervals, it got Mobil 1 with a 10,000 mile OCI... still does... works great... change the oil and filter and rotate the tires... good to go.

Many auto manufacturers list the entire state of Colorado as a severe service area due to the mountains and dusty eastern conditions, so the stealership may be correct for a turbo engine. Using M1 is a waste of money, just put a cheaper conventional oil for that OCI, except for the middle of winter if the OP frequently travels to the mountains with sub -25deg temperatures.

Last edited:
If my 2010 Fusion can make it past 250,000 miles in Phoenix using 7,500 mile OCIs, and still have the kind of UOAs I'm getting, I think your Elantra will do just fine on 7,500 mile OCIs in Colorado.

3k mile oil change intervals are not a profit generator for most dealerships. We lose money on every plain oil change we do at my work. We recommend oil changes every 5k and tire rotations every 10k. Then recommend according to the severe schedule for that particular vehicle from Ford’s website.

We have a generic schedule for competitive makes or use the severe vtable on Alldata.

I just follow the manual for my Elantra, changing oil every 3,750 miles or 6-months whichever comes first. I does not matter if it is synthetic or conventional oil. I have so much oil I consider free an oil change is the cost of the filter at this point.

My dealership recommends 3,750 oil changes with coupons I get. But, if I link to their recommendations through MyHyundai it is every 3-months. But my MyHyundai gives me 3,750 intervals with no time limit. Confusing.
frown.gif

I ignored that and went straight to the owner's manual. So now I am out of sync with MyHyundai recommendations since I do less than the 3,750 in 6-months.

Right now I have Chevron Supreme 10w-30. Gas mileage similar or better (highway) than the 5w-20 I used. Personally, I will not go past Hyundai's recommendations. Not that I do not trust the oil I use. I do not trust Hyundai if warranty work is needed.

FYI I change the oil parked in the garage. I can access the drain plug and filter just laying on the garage floor and now have a EZ Oil valve for draining oil. It takes 15 minutes. Dealership did oil change one time, overfilled it, and it took over 2 hours counting drive time.

Enjoy the Elantra. I know I do.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back