New car(at least to me),2000 GTI VR6,what oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car has 28K and the motor looks pretty clean internally by peeking through the filler port,some varnish though.

I was think M1 0W40 would be perfect in this application,any other suggestions?

BTW,that VR6 is sweet!What a motor!
fruit.gif

I am leaning towards the 0W40 but am curious about running M1 5W30 in there too but I am worried it might thin out too much due to the high oil temps in a VR6.

German Castrol would be a better choice than Mobil 1 5w30 for this engine. It's thicker and you need that.

GC is interesting but the only place that carries it is 17 miles away.If I made the trip and then they stopped stocking it I would be
mad.gif
!

Don't think the M-1 5-30 has any VW specs.....I too would suggest the 0-40 or Castrol 5-40/50, etc.

If your looking for a 40 wt. synthetic.

Think about Shell 5w-40 Gp III synthetic $12.00/gallon at Wal-mart or Mobile 1 5w-40 Truck and SUV (same a Delvac 1) Gp IV synthetic $5.00/quart at Walmart.

Both should be easy to find.

Alan I have GC in my VR6 now and the only thing I didn't like about it was the very loud cold starts when the car sits around for a few days. I added a 1/4 quart of M1 15w-50 and it got rid of 75% of the noise. I just added 7 ounces of some Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment yesterday (moly and boron
grin.gif
), and I have a feeling cold starts will be silky smooth.
cool.gif

I'd actually go with M1 0w-40 for your next oil change. I'm probably going to try M1 0w-40 next time. Lots of people also like Valvoline Synpower 5w-40 for the VR6 on vwvortex.com.

I am getting timing chain / tensioner clatter at hot idle with Mobil 1 5W-30 on my 2001 Psssat 1.8T. I never had this problem with Castrol GTX 5W-30, but changed to synthetic after receiving VW's infamous oil sludge notice. I think my clatter is empirical evidence that Mobil 1 5W-30 is not up the challenge posed by my turbocharged 4 cylinder engine.

This weekend, I plan to replace the 5W-30 after only 600 miles
frown.gif
with Mobil 1 0W-40 and the newly-specified larger oil filter (about the size of the old Ford filters of the 1970s and VW diesels of the 1980s). With a cSt of 10 at 100C, Mobil 1 5W-30 BARELY qualifies as a 30-weight oil at high temperatures. The 0W-40 has more than 40 percent higher viscosity at high temperatures; I hope this quiets my clatter.

By the way, VW customer service verified that VW-branded synthetic motor oil is made by Castrol, so 5W-40 Castrol synthetic is presumably an excellent choice for any VW. I'll try it next, if I am unhappy with the Mobil 1 0W-40.

John_E, I think your 1.8T has a timing belt, not a chain.

Alan, I ran Mobil 1 5w30 in a Jetta VR6 for the recommended 10,000 mile interval and got an excellent oil analysis back. It's posted on the UOA board.

Segfault,your UOA did influence me
grin.gif
.It looked solid!

I went to Walmart and picked up a 5qt jug of M1 5W30 along with 1 quart extra of M1 5W30 as i've read it takes 6qts to fill this sucka up.I am planning to use the Purolator filter I bought that was a complete rip off at $16 at Pep Boys,dang i'm a sucker
frown.gif
.I also bought a new Purolator air and cabin filter to complete the rape as they really overprice stuff at Pep Boys for VW's.

I am hoping the thinner viscosity will speed up the cleaning process somewhat that i've seen with M1 oils.I want the internals sparkling clean man
grin.gif

How does the engine sound and rev with the M1 5W30?Mine currently has an unkown oil that was put in by largest Benz dealer in the DC metro area so maybe they used M1 0W40? Naaahh..
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Alan:
GC is interesting but the only place that carries it is 17 miles away.If I made the trip and then they stopped stocking it I would be
mad.gif
!

You just have to get used to keeping a leeeeeeetle bit on hand.
grin.gif

John_E,your 1.8T does indeed use a timing belt so that couldn't be chain rattle your hearing.Maybe the valvetrain?

These VR6'seem to wanna run hot and I think by running a heavier viscosity oil it will only add to the heat since however thinner oil I picked should disperse the heat quicker.I think the thickest i'll ever go is a M1 0W40 after everything gets hopefully cleaned up.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Alan:
John_E,your 1.8T does indeed use a timing belt so that couldn't be chain rattle your hearing.Maybe the valvetrain?

It's a DOHC, Alan. A conventional belt at the front of the engine drives the intake cam from the crankshaft, and a CHAIN at the back of the cylinder head drives the exhaust cam from the intake cam. A solenoid moves an idler up and down, to provide two different timing relationships (idle and off-idle?) between the intake and exhaust valves. My rattle is coming from the area of the chain and/or its tensioner.

Alan,

I would second the vote for the Rotella T Synthetic (5W-40). Unless you live in the frozen north, you're not going to need the '0' spec oil, and unless you're running a turbo, VW doesn't even spec a synthetic until the '04 model years.

Personally, I run the aforementioned Shell product in my 2.0L with great results. It's easy on the poketbook too!

Cheers,
Ashley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back