New car anything special to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never owned a new car it's a pretty exciting experience. That being said should I change oil and filter sooner the first time or do any special break in procedure. Ect? Anything I should do or you recommend let me know thanks everyone.

If there is a break-in procedure it will be in your owners manual. I would use an OEM filter and an approved lubricant through the warranty period. Is Ford providing you with free oil changes?

2 schools of thought here. the early change, and the leave it and change by the manual. I'm a fan of and early change, I changed the elanta at 600 miles.

Just follow the break in procedure and you'll be fine.

I never do an early OCI but that's just me.

Drive it and enjoy the new car smell!
smile.gif

Last edited:
1) Any specific advice you received above is completely worthless as you didn't even state what car you had. So how can they be giving you a blanket statement on how to take care of your car without even knowing what car you got.

2) read your owner's manual. That is the "advice" from the engineers who made your car.

3) Find internet forum that's SPECIFIC to your car and ask questions there to other people who own your same car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
1) Any specific advice you received above is completely worthless as you didn't even state what car you had. So how can they be giving you a blanket statement on how to take care of your car without even knowing what car you got.

We all know what he has as per his other thread. He has a 2014 Focus with the 2.0L engine in it.

I'm a fan of an early oil change on new vehicles. Many people will say it's not needed, but I'm more comfortable with doing it, than i am with not doing it.

Also, since it's a Ford that specs 5w-20, I'd change the oil early but would continue to use Motorcraft. It's a quality oil, so no need to get fancy trying to find something else.

Change it when the iOLM tells you to - which should be between 7500 to 10,000 miles under most conditions.

Just make sure the oil level stays full.

Most of y'all do way too much unneeded maintenance anyway....I suppose it's cheaper than seeing a therapist.

Total waste changing the oil earlier than specified by the OLM.

Don't baby it. Long freeway acceleration ramps are great.

I don't think anyone really knows whats best when it comes to this. Manufactures such as VW
just a few years ago wanted the first oil & filter change earlier than subsequent oil changes; first at 5K than every 10K.
Subaru also comes to mind if you had the 6 cylinder.

The most important thing you can do is keep good records and receipts of oil and filters that you changed your oil. Mark on the receipts the date and miles when you changed your oil. I would consider a Fumoto drain valve.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Change it when the iOLM tells you to - which should be between 7500 to 10,000 miles under most conditions.

Just make sure the oil level stays full.

Most of y'all do way too much unneeded maintenance anyway....I suppose it's cheaper than seeing a therapist.

Look who is talking!! I am actually surprised that you still have any paint left on your vehicles given the amount of polish you do :)

Drive it normally for the first 500 miles, then drive it spiritedly for the next two tanks. That should help break in everything.

I did early oil changes on both cars. Not sure if it helped the cars any. It did make me feel better.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
So change it early is still a valuable idea?

I think so. There are a lot of metals in the factory fill after a short period of time. I'd rather dump them than keep them in.

Don't change it early - waste of time and money. Follow the owners manual or OLM. Be gentle with the brakes for the 1st 500 miles - avoid frequent hard stops and overheating the rotors. I always set the tire pressure 2 lbs high - gives you more margin for error if you get a slow leak. Get a mental picture of what the tire looks like when inflated properly - this will let you recognize when they are low a bit more easily.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ram_man
I've never owned a new car it's a pretty exciting experience. That being said should I change oil and filter sooner the first time or do any special break in procedure. Ect? Anything I should do or you recommend let me know thanks everyone.

You could probably beat the snot out of it and leave the FF oil in for 10K and the engine wouldn't be harmed at all.
There is a school of thought suggesting that a hard break-in is a good break-in.
I've always liked the idea of driving pretty easily for the first 1K and dropping the FF at that point, after which normal change intervals can be followed.
I left the FF in our most recent new car for an entire normal interval simply because Honda sepcifically recommended doing so.
Just use the car and if an early first oil change will make you feel better, do one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back