New Car and wanting new tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I am getting a 2006 Honda Civic Si and I am going to get rid of the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires and put on avon tech m550's. What should I do with the MXM4s? They will be like brand new. Should I sell them on ebay/craigslist or will used tire places give me a deal?? I am only really looking for a direct swap, the avons are $100 each on tire rack while the MXM4s are $185.

Yeah, why? I know the Michelin's aren't top of the line, but neither are those Avons, so why bother?

But if have to, I'd probably ebay/craiglist them. Or you can try posting a for sale ad at some of those Honda forums.

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
Yeah, why? I know the Michelin's aren't top of the line, but neither are those Avons, so why bother?

But if have to, I'd probably ebay/craiglist them. Or you can try posting a for sale ad at some of those Honda forums.

according to tire rack the michelins are pretty bad, they are the 2nd to last in their catagory which is touring tires. The Avons are first in ultra high performace all seasons. My mom has the Avons on her TL and I assure you they are top of the line. Not many people know about them but they are really nice tires.

quote:

Originally posted by Tosh:
Why don't you worry about it after you buy the car, or are you just starved for attention?

ha yea I am starved for attention so I am posting on the oil drop
fruit.gif

I would like to get this figured out before I buy the car b/c tires with like 5 miles on them will go for lots more than tires with like 500 miles on them.

The Avons are great, I do agree, but I would get 20,000-30,000 out of the stockers before replacing them. It's a lot easier and you get at least 30,000 mi without worry of someone marring your pretty rims with a big tire iron.

Count on $50 each - craigslist
So new Avons are $120 each including mounting
less $200 for your M tires after dealing with low ballers and flakes on craigslist. I'd just drive 30K and buy what's great then. 1/2 won't show and the other half will offer $20@ for cash.

I'm in the same boat, except with a new RSX. I mean REALLY the same boat, my car came with the Mich and I want the Avons. I expected the Mich to be worse. I had them in snow my 1st hour with the car and they were not bad. That being said, they will be fine for summer...3 seasons. I am getting a 2nd set of duplicate wheels with some worn MXMs, so I'll wear out the worst pair this summer and do a dance with the others until I need a PAIR of tires in Fall. I am pretty frugal with tire purchases and use. In summer, I don't care what tires are on, I abuse them..."smokers". Fall and spring are just transitional..."intermediates" work. Come winter though, I MUST have at least a pair of sweet new tires on front. I'm coming from an Audi quattro to a FWD. With the quattro, you must have all 4 tires same brand/model...now that I have FWD, all bets are off, plus I have 8 rims to play with. Anyway, for you, I'd just say drive on oem Mich until one set is worn or in time for winter, (or Fall, rainy season) and get your 2 pet tires for then. I'm assuming you want all-seasons as there is not a lot of info the Avon summers...probally there are better choices??? I see you have not even tried the Mich yet. Don't judge by what kids say on riceforums.com. They are not bad...but made for mpg and wear, not performance. Stick with them on the car until you need 2 changed...after summer heat takes a bite out of them. Don't rotate, wear them down. [I rotate for seasons, not "miles" it's a MUCH better system] If they still look ok then, toss the 2 fronts into the basement and save them. Believe me, you will tire of buying tyres (pun intended) and be happy that you got some use out of the Mich or at least you have some spares in the basement.
Basicly, I agree with M2200b, but am much more long-winded.

[ March 22, 2006, 04:51 PM: Message edited by: Auto-Union ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back