New camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I change at 1k and 2.5k with Havoline dino then Mobil 1 at 5k then follow 5k oci as per Toyota schedule. Have done this with my 2005 Kluger/Highlander V6 and 2006 Corolla. Maybe not essential but I enjoy doing it and the cost is not a major factor.
Roger

I change just the filter really early...first couple of hundred miles. I always find lots of particles caught in the filter (yes, I've been cutting open filters since the 1970's!). Then, I go a couple of thousand miles and switch to a synthetic. NEVER have I seen a dirtier filter than the OEM one...which makes perfect sense. On some motorcycles, there is a pre-filter screen that can be removed and cleaned. Talk about trash caught from the initial break-in! It's sometimes simply horrendous. No matter what engine, I've found that particles caught by the filter decrease the first couple of changes before settling out to very little the rest of the time I've ever owned it.

I have a new '07 Camry with a V6 and changed the oil at 1600 and went to Mobil 1.
BTW,I hate that under the car oil filter cannister PITA on the V6.
Any spin on filter conversion kits available?

I just bought a 2007 Camry 4- cylinder. It currently has 300 miles and I need advice about when to do the first oil change. Toyota says changing the oil before 5,000 miles is not necessary. I don't think this is good advice. I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks
Santiago

Change the oil at 5k miles. Check the level every 1-2k just in case it uses any during break in (rare in my experience with 4 bought new Toyotas) There is absolutely no logical reason to waste the factory fill. I have been guilty of doing premature oil changes and have stopped on my last vehicle and am runing a new 4runner to 5k before the first oil change.
Enjoy the Camry and wait on the oil change.

One extra oil and filter change over the life of an engine early on to flush machining leftovers and core sand remnants won't break the bank. I've never seen an early out UOA posted on BITOG that didn't show that gunk. (or you can allow it to circulate the full duration - your choice)

Qualify "Gunk" . What are the early materials shown in early UOA's and what is there size? I have done several early changes on new cars and never have I seen evidence of "Gunk" or metal flakes or anything of the sort in a new vehicles oil pan or the drain pan after an oil change.
Of course a UOA on a factory fill is going to have high metals and they will remain high and trend down with each oil change. This does not change the amount of metals shed during breakin. It simply hides them from an OCD person who wants low wear metals showing on a sub 10k mile UOA.
This is not a cost isue to me but on the Macro scale if everybody did early oil changes it would have a huge environmental impact in the waste of energy to refine and transport all of those factory fills. Modern engines can take the factory fills to the recomended interval with no measurabble impact on the life of the engine IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back