New but confussed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been reading a ton of oil threads here and i have to say,i have less of a clue which oil is good and bad, who has the best syn,which weight works,ect. So much this and that going on. After all that i have read,i think i'll stick with pur oil and air filter and M1 oil and just read what others use and stay with what i use.

I think the concensus here is if you use a good rated oil and change your oil regularly along with a good filter, whatever your choice is will be fine. There are those of us that try and tweak it by wanting the least possible wear and longevity for our engines. We call them addicts, such as myself. I enjoy getting 200-300K out of my vehicles as the wife and I drive the bejesus out of them mileage wise.

Yep.... hard to help anyone with their selection until they mention their past vehicle/oil history.

Your confusion won't stop until you "fess-up"
lol.gif

02 Altima 3.5SE First oil change was M1 and bosch filter w/a K&N air filter @2500 miles. Now have 21,700 miles. Change my oil once a year which is around 5-6K miles. Mostly stop and go city driving and very short drives, 3-5 miles at a time.

For those annual short miles, I would save a few bucks & use 50% Drive Clean 5000 and 50% Mobil-1.... a much better blend that what Mobil 7500 offers you - plus it's more than ample for 5-6K.

Your Bosch filter is a nice choice.

Keep it the same. You spend about $25 a year on oil and filter change and you will be well protected with M1. No sense to try a cheaper oil and save $10 over a year-long OCI.

shokhead:
welcome.gif

I recommend that you do a UOA on your car's oil. There's a specific reason beyond just the usual BITOG "it's fun" thing in your case. As you probably know, your car is powered by Nissan's outstanding VQ35DE V-6. This is a versatile engine that appears in all sorts of applications ranging from the Quest van to the Infiniti M35 and 350Z sports car. There are a bunch of VQ owners here, including me (I've got one in my G35 sedan). If you study the UOA results for this engine, you'll see a mixed bag of results when it is fed Mobil-1. Sometimes it's fine, sometimes it's not. Member "chinee" also has a G35 (coupe) and posted pretty poor UOA results with M1 in his G. You might want to try the UOA to make sure your particular engine actually "likes" the stuff and isn't generating undue wear metals as some VQs seem to do on M1. By the way, I've been using GC (German Castrol) in mine and so far, the results have been fantastic per the UOA. BTW, mine is an 04, 18 months, approaching 50k miles.
cheers.gif

Oh, one more thing. It's up to you, but I'd ditch the K&N filter with this application. The Nissan OEM filters are an oily fibre design that's reportedly low restriction already. In addition, it's not as if this engine struggles to generate sufficient hp/tq anyway. Unless you're on the track trying to shave away extra tenths of a second, I don't think the K&N is giving you any real benefit in exchange for the added dirt ingestion risk. Just my opinion, of course.

Thanks,i did that this weekend but havent changed it yet,got a pur. From what i read,the CG is either hard to find*im in SoCal} or isnt made anymore or maybe thats the green and gold and i'm not up to par on that.

The gold-colored GC superceded the green-colored variety a little over a year ago. There are still some supplies of green out there, but unless you're a real die-hard to get it, I wouldn't bother going on a wild goose chase to find it. From the initial reports, the gold stuff appears like it's doing fine ('course I'm not fretting over it since I've got an ocean of green in my garage -- a couple years worth at least). See how your UOA comes back and then start making decisions about what, if anything else, to try next.
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back