New Brakes “Creak” When Released

I just installed new pads and rotors on my 2015 Ford Fusion. Front and rear.

If I’m in drive and at a complete stop, when I go to release the brakes they start to creak. They don’t make any noise when I’m braking, or if I come to a partial stop. It only happens when I’m at a complete stop like a red light and when I take my foot off the brake. The sound is coming from the front brakes. Most likely the drivers side.

Again new pads and rotors (duralast). I replaced the pins and boots. I greased the pins, and metal contact points on the pads.

Is this normal? Will this go away after driving for a while? What could be causing this?

do the pads move freely or are they sorta jammed in place?
When I’m braking? When I’m braking pads move as they should. When I release after complete stop like at red light it does feel like there is a slight delay when they go to release.

I think the answer depends on exactly how you are releasing the brakes when this happens. If you are gradually letting up the pressure to the point where the car begins to creep a little at idle, it's normal. If it happens as you quickly take your foot off the brake and you get ready to accelerate, then I think no, it's not normal. That sounds like a caliper releasing too slowly. I would jack the car up and see if one (or more) wheels takes a long time to spin freely after releasing the brakes and then go from there.

I think the answer depends on exactly how you are releasing the brakes when this happens. If you are gradually letting up the pressure to the point where the car begins to creep a little at idle, it's normal. If it happens as you quickly take your foot off the brake and you get ready to accelerate, then I think no, it's not normal. That sounds like a caliper releasing too slowly. I would jack the car up and see if one (or more) wheels takes a long time to spin freely after releasing the brakes and then go from there.
It happens when I take my foot off the brake and getting ready to accelerate.

ears of the pads maybe be a little too big and not sliding properly , maybe not enough lube on said parts, did you use new hardware ? sometimes reusing the stock hardware is better just clean it up.
possible sticking pins or caliper

ears of the pads maybe be a little too big and not sliding properly , maybe not enough lube on said parts, did you use new hardware ? sometimes reusing the stock hardware is better just clean it up.
possible sticking pins or caliper
I replaced the caliper pins and boots. I made sure to lubricate the ears of the pads with brake grease.

When I’m braking? When I’m braking pads move as they should. When I release after complete stop like at red light it does feel like there is a slight delay when they go to release.
no when you installed them, sometimes the pad ears need a little filing if they fit too snug.
if they are fitted too tight/not sliding freely they could be binding slightly

it could also be normal.. a line of text doesnt adequately describe the problem vs seeing it in person.

If you are gradually letting up the pressure to the point where the car begins to creep a little at idle, it's normal. If it happens as you quickly take your foot off the brake and you get ready to accelerate, then I think no, it's not normal.
'14 Fusion and same thing happens when releasing the brakes slowly. Specifically notice this in our driveway where we pretty much ride the brakes to keep from going fast at all. Can't say I notice this out on the road, when leaving a red light, etc.

What would cause the pads to bind?
Less than perfect fitment with the pad ears and the channels on the caliper brackets. Remove the caliper, remove the pads, and remove the hardware (the thin metal 'clips'). Use a small brush and clean the channels/slots real good. Hit it with some brake cleaner, then scrub again. Some people put "grease" there, some don't. Now clean the hardware real good and reinstall them. Check the pad ears for any burrs or metal slag, then put a small amount of the same grease on the pad ears and replace them in the bracket. Can you slide them in and out easily ? Not so easy that they almost fall out, but they should feel secure in the hardware slots. If they don't move or get caught, use a file to lightly clean them up so they move well. Reinstall the pads and check again. Continue reassembling when you're happy.

I made sure to lubricate the ears of the pads with brake grease.
I've learned to use much less lubricant than I used to. I also don't just clean the pins, I clean out the slide bore and the rubber boot as much as possible. I put about a pinky fingernail size dab of lubricant on the pin and spread it and thin it out.

Could it just be the new caliper pins aren’t sliding freely? Both the pins and boot are new. The fit did seem sorta of tight when I went to put the pins back in. Even though everything was clean and greased. These are Duralast aftermarket pins and boots.

This is kind of far out there but it has happened to me twice so perhaps it's worth mentioning. I've had two of the flexible brake hoses that connect to the calipers to delaminate internally and restrict the fluid flow. In my case it caused a 1-2 second delay in both the brakes applying and releasing but it isn't inconceivable that that the effect could only act in one direction.

no when you installed them, sometimes the pad ears need a little filing if they fit too snug.
if they are fitted too tight/not sliding freely they could be binding slightly

it could also be normal.. a line of text doesnt adequately describe the problem vs seeing it in person.
They didn’t feel tight when I installed them. I also took a wire brush to the bracket that the ears of the pads sit in and cleaned all the rust and debris. I also lubricated the ears.

Back