New bottle of SI-1 has an unfamiliar bluish tint

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently refreshed my fuel additive stocks with a fresh batch of Redline SI-1 and found, upon opening the package, a slightly unfamiliar colored liquid in the bottles that arrived. I've been using this product for years, and know it to have a dark amber color, but the new stuff that arrived seems to have some additional bluish tint to it (akin to a 2-cycle oil). Even after giving it a good shake (in case it had separated somehow, which would also be unfamiliar), the color still looks a bit different. Has anyone else noticed the same or heard any chatter about this product getting reformulated?

--Matt

Last edited:
Recently picked some up at a store and it was red, are the seals still intact under the cap?
Its likely just a different batch with the dye mixture off a bit.

Certain dyes can sometimes have a strange iridescent look to them. I've gotten washer fluid that looks like that. If the seal is still intact, I wouldn't worry too much.

Call Red Line if it bothers you.

The seal was perfectly in-tact. I'll contact Red Line for additional info.

--Matt

They change all the time. That's likely why they have a range in their MSDS.

SI-1 has been a product for over 20 years. I'm pretty sure at one time it used a different type of detergent. I even remember years ago it was very much red. They could easily just put in a different set of dyes or a fairly simple modification.

Seems like it's probably fine. I just think the color is a bit different than I'm used to it being. I've been using it without any issues so far. I didn't expect any issues really, since Redline makes awesome stuff. I was just curious if they had changed it.

Redline's response was:
Quote:
Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, I just checked the current batch and is has a dark amber appearance. That product is not dyed, so it’s appearance can vary between one batch and another due to the difference in the appearance of the components used.

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil

--Matt

Last edited:
I started thinking about it, and you might be noticing something coming from the bottle itself. They actually have two different bottle types. Most of their bottles are a stiffer plastic with "#7 V" on the bottom. A few of theme are PETE (#1) which is a noticeably softer material and tends to give off a bluish tinge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back