New Board Member Seeks Opinions of FrankenBrew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

I've been lurking and reading on this board for around 6 months trying to learn as much as I can about lubricant/filtration technology - I'm a motor mechanic and have been my whole life so I know quite a bit anyway but theres always more to learn!

The reason for this post is to gain some opinions on my Frankenbrew before I send away for a VOA. 99% of oils in the UK come in 5 litre jugs and the total capacity of the sump & filter on my 1982 Scirocco is 4 litres so after every oil&filter change I have 1 litre left over. I mix these together to get a free oil change.

The oils that went into this mix are;
1 litre Redline 10w40
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=5&pcid=21

1 litre Gulf Competition 10w40
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-60120-gulf-competition-10w-40-racing-engine-oil-10w40.aspx

1 litre Millers NanoDrive 10w40
http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-74220-millers-oils-nanodrive-ee-10w-40-semi-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

1 litre Maxlife Diesel 10w40
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-ac...p;0&cc5_245

1 litre Triple QX 5w40 PD
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-ac...p;0&cc5_248

This is sitting in a jug on the shelf in my garage at the moment, it was only 1000 miles ago I filled up with Millers Nano and a new Mahle, and added the leftover litre of Millers to my mix jug.

Do any of you Chemists on here know of any adverse reaction that might occur between any of these oils? Or any reason why I shouldn't use it?

Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions, and sorry for such a long first post!

Nick

I can't see there being a real problem. Obviously, warranty isn't a concern so you're not looking to match specs (and in this case, you probably exceed them anyhow). I don't like mixing, and your idea makes me cringe. But, that's my OCD and not based on anything really worth worrying about. You've got to do something with the leftovers!

Hello, "...and sorry for such a long first post!" Don't be silly!
Your post is a recipe in the BITOG cookbook of life.
What you're going to get is:
60% people who'll say there's no problem with mixing.

40% who'll say there is but won't be able to tell you why. Kira

All oils are formulated to be compatible and be mixed together. Engine oils are more similar than they are different.
Let us know how you make out.

That brew will do just fine in that ride. I would not waste a drop of that stuff. Welcome to BITOG
welcome2.gif

I would not bother with a VOA.

If you are just trying to use up jugs that are partially filled with oil, then I suppose its fine. But I would not mix my own blend to be better than what I could buy.

I am on the side of mixing oils though, I don't mix as much as I used to. And, I certainly mix differently today comparedt to my youth. Never an engine problem in 45 years of doing so!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback guys, much appreciated.
TBH, I was pretty confident it would be acceptable but there was a hint of doubt in my mind around the possibility of additive clash. I'll use the mix but I'll be listening and 'feeling' very closely for anything I don't like, and keeping my fingers crossed!

I think I'll be spending quite a lot of time here
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would not bother with a VOA.

If you are just trying to use up jugs that are partially filled with oil, then I suppose its fine. But I would not mix my own blend to be better than what I could buy.

I would not bother with a VOA myself for the reason Donald stated.

Mix away and don't waste a drop of that stuff! Welcome to BITOG!!

Originally Posted By: dave1251
This brew is likely better than the factory fill that was used in 1982. I would use it for a normal OCI and not worry about it.

I agree. The frankenbrew will be light years ahead of what was available when that car rolled off the line
As far as mixing oils is concerned the API requires that all starburst stamped oils be compatible together so a consumer can top up with any starburst oil and have no worries.
That being said I doubt mixing is optimal yet I've yet to see a used oil analysis of a frankenbrew that was bad.
In fact every one I've seen posted here was stellar,better than the consistent branded sump fill,which I found interesting.
Mixing may not be optimal however its not going to damage anything.

Its not really a free oil change considering you paid for a 5L jug of it.. do some people just dump the oil? I have a 4 quart (4 liter) sump and just kept the remainder as top up, but if there is leftover, I use it during next interval. I guess I dont vary my oil as often as you.. you should be fine with adding it.

Yeah, pretty good not to burn oil at that model year car.

I have nothing to base it on besides the fact most oils are suppose to be compatible, but I can't imagine a mix would hurt anything. How long do you run an oil change?

I probably wouldn't run the VOA. I love doing VOA and UOAs, but they are so expensive for a few numbers on a sheet of paper or screen. I used to do more, but now I think "I could have nearly an oil change for that much."

I do have a car that burns and leaks some oil, and for that one, I end up topping up with different oils of similar viscosity.

Rolla07: Often getting the 5qt jugs or 5 of the 1qt is the same price during the "special" or it is more expensive to buy 4qt at regular price. For example, the 5qt jug is $15 and the 1qt bottles are $4ea. So in some ways it is "free" in a way as retailers are kinda giving the consumer "buy 4 get one free"...

My oil stash is mostly orphans of leftover oil.

Originally Posted By: Ayrton
Yeah, pretty good not to burn oil at that model year car.

I'd wager that my Rocco is in better condition than most of the 5 year old cars on the road today - preventative maintenance and an OCD tendency to want to keep my 'classic' on the road and 100% reliable means (fingers crossed) it's never let me down, not once.
I did the HG last year and put new valve guides and stem seals in while I was at it. The year before that I put a new rear main seal in while the LWFW and oversize clutch were going in.
Doesn't use a single drop between 6-8k OCIs
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back