New BMW 330e plug-in hybrid ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the first time in many many years BMW ad mentions competitor, not by name but clearly means to compare 330e with Tesla Model 3, and this is a bad comparison: a plug-in hybrid with a pure EV.

The advertisement 101 is: Never Mention Your Competitor(s), only looser talks about competitor who is the class leader in the ad.

BMW started to feel the pressure from Tesla, and they don't have any vehicle close to either Model S, X or 3

BMW should compares their 330e with another plug-in hybrid such as Toyota Prius Prime and Chevy Volt and others, they are in the same class.

Quote:
New BMW commercial pokes fun at Tesla’s Model 3

Over the weekend, BMW launched a new commercial advertising the new 330e, a sleek-looking hybrid sedan that is far more stylish than the funky looking BMW i3 and much more affordable than the jaw-dropping BMW i8.

What's interesting about the commercial, though, is that it's mostly a not-so-thinly-veiled jab at Tesla's upcoming Model 3. As a quick refresher, Tesla unveiled the $35,000 Model3 this past April and has since secured more than 370,000 reservations, a particularly impressive figure given that deliveries aren't scheduled to begin until 2017.

While a decent ad in and of itself, I'm not quite sure that Tesla's passionate fanbase will be swayed by the fact that they can get a car they're likely not interested in sooner than the Model 3 they're very much interested in.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/bmw-commercial-pokes-fun-tesla-model-3-141045886.html

Well, at least it looks nice, LOL!

If the interior is on-par with my M5's, it has the Tesla beat hands-down in that category. Whether that will sway anybody? I don't know.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The advertisement 101 is: Never Mention Your Competitor(s),

Technically, they did not mention it by name.
smile.gif

The reality is that a lot of consumers want instant gratification and waiting around for years to get their cars isn't very fun. That's why other companies are trying to cash in on this.

The more interesting thing for me is BMW's (and other companies) move away from diesel and into electric/hybrid market.

A 330 hybrid...what's the point in that?

What's next...? A hybrid space shuttle? LOL

I like the Volvo's approach with Volvo Triple Turbo Drive E Engine

Heck...even the 3 pistons 1.5 liters develops 150 BHP.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The advertisement 101 is: Never Mention Your Competitor(s),

Technically, they did not mention it by name.
smile.gif

The reality is that a lot of consumers want instant gratification and waiting around for years to get their cars isn't very fun. That's why other companies are trying to cash in on this.

The more interesting thing for me is BMW's (and other companies) move away from diesel and into electric/hybrid market.

Very true.

If there is something compatible with Tesla Model 3 then there wouldn't be more than 300,000 people around the world deposit $1,000 and wait more than a year for it, and as of now very few changed their mind and got their deposit back. Why people waited inline at Tesla stores around the world before it were opened last March to deposit $1,000 for a car they had absolutely no information about other than a minimum of 200 miles range ?

Other companies tried to point out the ridiculous of waiting more than a year for a car, because it is much better than anything they can make for similar price and they can't do anything about it so they begged those depositors to chance their mind to buy their lower quality cars. But did any car company success in luring away any Model 3 depositor ?

Why Chevy Bolt with 200 miles range that costs $37,500 will be available in few months but nobody is deposit any penny for it ? And Chevy plans to make 30,000 Bolts the first year, why not 300,000 likes Model 3 ?

Back to the new BMW 330e ad, I never saw an ad by reputable car companies such as MB, Audi, BMW(until now), Honda, Toyota ... spends 1 second mention anything else other than their vehicles. Only lower tier companies such as Chevy, Pontiac, Kia, Hyundai ... did mention competitor(s) in their ads.

Not only BMW felt the pressure from Tesla, every luxury car company felt the same pressure, not only Model 3 has high interest from potential buyers Model S was the best selling luxury car in US last year, it was the only model had increase in sale from 2014 to 2015, all other models went down some as high as double digits, source: http://cleantechnica.com/2016/01/15/1-large-luxury-car-in-us-tesla-model-s-2015-sales-comparison/

Tesla certainly has a good story and gives the customer something cool/lofty to believe in. That is part of their mystique that people buy into, and it takes a visionary like Musk to craft that message that customers can be inspired by and follow the company and trust it. It goes back to the whole "why" messaging that has been so effective at Apple and some other companies in the past. Other companies lack that panache, so they're trying other tricks to sway the consumer...

Watch the video when you have a moment...
https://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_how_great_leaders_inspire_action?language=en

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Tesla certainly has a good story and gives the customer something cool/lofty to believe in. That is part of their mystique that people buy into, and it takes a visionary like Musk to craft that message that customers can be inspired by and follow the company and trust it. It goes back to the whole "why" messaging that has been so effective at Apple and some other companies in the past. Other companies lack that panache, so they're trying other tricks to sway the consumer...

Watch the video when you have a moment...

https://www.ted.com/talks/simon_sinek_how_great_leaders_inspire_action?language=en

I don't agree with this statement. I think people know how good model S is, just like a full size 4 door sedan only difference is it is battery electric car with good range, and with Super Chargers along major Interstate Highway they can have long distant travel. They believe that model 3 would be similarly styled that why they spent hours outside Tesla stores worldwide to place deposit before seeing any picture of it.

Many don't like stand out styling like Prius or BMW I3 Or Nissan Leaf, other than no grille model S or X or 3 looks like ordinary vehicles and that is how they sell by boat load.

I don't know who in Tesla company should get the credit, the styling guys or the power train engineers of the executive(s). Elon Musk may get some credit for not screw up the styling, but he isn't the one who design it.

A little off topic, why BMW 3-series sold more than any other luxury/performance compact car for more than 10-15 years ? Because they are better in every way, there wasn't any message BMW tried to convey about their 3-series, they just made it better than competitors and their sale volume speaks for itself.

Last edited:
Love the commercial. GM should do the same thing. Considering Tesla's track record to deliver on time, on cost and any decent quality should caution consumers. But considering the Tesla faithful act more like brain washed lemmings I doubt it will matter much. Though it is possible that those lemmings may start to get annoyed if they can't buy their flashy new Model 3 3 or 4 years from now (and all federal rebates used up).

why BMW 3-series sold more than any other luxury/performance compact car for more than 10-15 years ? Because they are better in every way, there wasn't any message BMW tried to convey about their 3-series,

Sure there was a message: UDM. Alas, that message has ran its course and current crop of BMWs isn't as engaging as in the past, which means they lost their differentiator.

Besides, at one point in time, if you owned a 3series, you stood out from the crowd. Nowadays due to their popularity, they are dime a dozen. If you want to be unique, you need to look elsewhere. And this benefits Tesla.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Love the commercial. GM should do the same thing. Considering Tesla's track record to deliver on time, on cost and any decent quality should caution consumers. But considering the Tesla faithful act more like brain washed lemmings I doubt it will matter much. Though it is possible that those lemmings may start to get annoyed if they can't buy their flashy new Model 3 3 or 4 years from now (and all federal rebates used up).

Did you know BMW 330e is a plug-in hybrid likes Chevy Volt ? and it has electric range of 14 miles vs 2016 Chevy Volt has 50 miles range with its new and larger battery ?

2016 year to date BMW sold 218 330e's vs Chevy sold 12,214 Volts. Yes, less than 300 plug-in hybrid for 7 months.

Of all the plug-in hybrid BMW330e has the shortest range with its tiny battery.

Didn't you see the pathetic sale volume of 330e ? BMW couldn't even get close to Chevy's performance how can they compete with Tesla ?

If Tesla can produce 400,000 model 3 a year, their daily sale should be around 1,000 cars more than full year of 330e.

Didn't you see why BMW and other manufactures are in panic mode ?

Last edited:

Did you know BMW 330e is a plug-in hybrid likes Chevy Volt ? and it has electric range of 14 miles vs 2016 Chevy Volt has 50 miles range with its new and larger battery ?

2016 year to date BMW sold 218 330e's vs Chevy sold 12,214 Volts. Yes, less than 300 plug-in hybrid for 7 months.

Of all the plug-in hybrid BMW330e has the shortest range with its tiny battery.

Didn't you see the pathetic sale volume of 330e ? BMW couldn't even get close to Chevy's performance how can they compete with Tesla ?

If Tesla can produce 400,000 model 3 a year, their daily sale should be around 1,000 cars more than full year of 330e.

Didn't you see why BMW and other manufactures are in panic mode ?

Tesla producing 400k Model 3s is a figment of Musk's imagination that they will wish can happen in 5 years at best assuming the demand doesn't fizzle by then. Imagine typical cars get a refresh before they will ever produce that many.

Tesla producing 400k Model 3s is a figment of Musk's imagination that they will wish can happen in 5 years at best assuming the demand doesn't fizzle by then. Imagine typical cars get a refresh before they will ever produce that many.

Look at 2016 monthly and year to date sale of all plug-in vehicles in U.S.

BMW sold a total of 218 330e in 5 months from March to July of 2016, Tesla model S costs about twice as much and sold almost 10 times in just 1 month.

People aren't so dumb as BMW hope they are, who the heck want to buy a complicated plug-in hybrid that has a pathetic 14 electric miles ?

The first Chevy Volt of 5-6 years old had more than 30 miles, the 2016 version has 50 miles. The 2016 sale went up substantial compares with 2015, drivers know what is a good car and buy it in drove and they stay away from bad ones.

BMW couldn't compete with Tesla is understandable, but they could not even compete with Chevy of all makes is truly pathetic.

BMW should change their once proud "Ultimate Driving Machine " to "Ultimate Trash Machine"

http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

Last edited:

Look at 2016 monthly and year to date sale of all plug-in vehicles in U.S.

BMW sold a total of 218 330e in 5 months from March to July of 2016, Tesla model S costs about twice as much and sold almost 10 times in just 1 month.

OK, read the post that you are responding to...and read your answer.

The S (your figures) did 2,000 in 5 months, i.e. 400 per month.

to do 400,000 in a year requires 33,000 per month...83 times...THAT's what's being referred to as wishful thinking, not that there's saps lining up for vaporware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back