New BITOG format issue on iphone6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't recall any threads on this topic.

Since the new format was put in place I can no longer get the "Recent Topics" column on my iPhone. All I get is the main section with the thread titles. I don't see any settings that would allow me to change that.

Am I missing something? Any suggestions?

I have the iPhone 6 Plus and have the same issue now after the "mobile" version update. Everything's great on my iPad and I would have thought the mobile version would portray correctly on my mobile phone. So much for that thought. If the owner of the site would be able to look into it, it'd be much appreciated.

Originally Posted by Chris142
I have to scroll down to the show/hide bar to see it. Then I have to scroll down every time to refresh it. It kinda sucks.

You're right. Just tried it and got that column to show but as you said you have to scroll down every time you're on a different page to get it back.

There has to be a way to make it permanent. This is a PITA.

Last edited:
It's supposed to not show on a phone

Otherwise the threads would be like 1 inch wide.

Originally Posted by fcjeep
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
It's been talked about in this Forum ... https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/26/1/general-board-information

Thanks for that ZeeOSix. I looked through some of it but don't see the topic at hand in the threads I read.
I'll look some more when I can. For the time being I'll use the show/hide bar.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
It's supposed to not show on a phone

Otherwise the threads would be like 1 inch wide.

fcjeep - Try switching your phone to view "Desktop Site" if it has that feature ... then the left side bar will show, at least it does on my Android.

fcjeep - Try switching your phone to view "Desktop Site" if it has that feature ... then the left side bar will show, at least it does on my Android.
Unfortunately, "Request Desktop Site" doesn't work on this site with an iPhone. When clicking it nothing happens.

Unfortunately, "Request Desktop Site" doesn't work on this site with an iPhone. When clicking it nothing happens.

Works on my 7 - Chrome and Safari

"Request desktop site" button doesn't work on Safari on the 6+ either.

The lack of Recent Topics makes the site... um... tedious.

Originally Posted by wwillson

Works on my 7 - Chrome and Safari

I turned the side column back on and tried again on my 7+, it just reloads the same mobile version

[Linked Image]

Are those with an iPhone 6 running the most recent version of iOS? It typically includes updates to Safari.

Otherwise, the site's software knows what resolution your phone's screen is and in "mobile" move it is likely turning off or changing different features and functions. Even if the admins could force it on, as mentioned, the actual content area of the thread HAS to be reduced and is considered a trade-off.

Quite simply, you can't please please of the people all of the time....

1) Yes this is with fully updated software
2) It's not a function of screen width, because it renders the same with my phone turned the other way
3) There's nothing wrong with having Recent Topics on the side because a) that's how I've been browsing for years and b) that is what everyone is proposing when they suggest to Request Desktop Site!

I have an iPhone 8 (not a plus either) and if I rotate the phone, the layout changes.

I also use Firefox and requesting the desktop version makes no noticeable change. Maybe there is but I'm not seeing it.

Originally Posted by SavagePatch
I'm viewing woth Android and have the same problem.
This is a "smaller device" design/layout setting. I don't even want to call it an "issue" because it's really done this way on purpose. The screen is only so wide and you just can't fit that much data in there width-wise, at least not without making the text/font size very small. Then people will complain that the text is too small !

You can even emulate this on your computer. Reduce the width of the browser window (slowly). When it reaches a certain width, the "Recent Topics" column vanishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back