New BFG SS all season vs. Potenza RE960 A/S

Status
Not open for further replies.
The BFG G Force Super Sport all season is less than 2 months old so I don't know if anyone has had the chance to hear about it, or even try it out yet. I was just wundering how it would stack up against the B-Stone RE 960 Pole Position all season especially in COLD, DRYweather handling/traction??
It's completely useless trying to speak to each respective company's compounding techs as the operators WILL NOT put you through, and even if they did you would probably get the same 'proprietary info' [censored] claims one gets from the oil companies.
Trying to figure this out for myself, I've come to these conclusions; the Potenza seemsto be more snow/ice/slush/rain oriented, and the G Force seems to be much more dry handling oriented. I am only going by the tread pattern for this speculation, since the BFG has a much 'blockier' outside shoulder/edge, whereas the B-stone has a MUCH 'sipeier' outside shoulder/edge. My car EATS outside edges on the front (EVEN with 2* negative front camber and 40psi pressures on the street!:eek: ), so I'm a little wary of chunking/tearing the 960's. At the same time I'm afraid that due to the lack of silica in the compound of the G Forces, they may turn into the proverbial "blocks of ice", just like a max/ultra performance summer only tire does in But without knowing the compounding (or people with actual experience with both tires), it is hard to guess which one will be superior in the cold, dry straight line and handling traction I am seeking. We all know what tread wear ratings are worth between two different company's products, right??(They are barely worth anything within the same company!!!!

ANYONE have any clues/insights into this dilemma??

Last edited:
I don't know about the compounding of either tire, and my opinion is based on no facts whatsoever, but just looking at the tread design of both tires, I would think that the BFG would be better in snow and ice. The Bridgestone looks to me to be better for dry conditions, which you specify.
That's my 2 cents.

Originally Posted By: wbwanzer
Have you read the Tire Rack reviews of the 960?
There is also about a $40 difference between the two tires.

Yes I have (but thanks for suggesting this anyway). The problem is that MOST on there are non performance 'consumer's digest' type people, even though B-Stone markets the tire as the ultimate all season ever available. So to them it seems like an A6/R6 Hoosier track tire in the dry, and a Hoosier DOT Wet in the rain.
What worries me most is the very few with my exact car (who gave a review of the 960s), said that the turn in/response in the dry was a little 'mushy' due to a very soft sidewall (their speculation). My guess is that the BFGs have a beefier, dry handling sidewall on them (going by their other performance tires, i.e.; KDs, Vs. the competition)?

Last edited:
I understand your situation. Sounds like you're an analyzer, like me. Always trying to find the perfect thing, whatever that thing is that I'm researching to buy. The problem with tires is that you're spending $500, $600 or more on something that you're guessing is best. And if you're not happy, you're usually stuck with them for the next two years til they wear out.
My car is an '07 with 8000 miles. OE Bridgestons are like new. But I'm already researching my next tire so I'll be ready when the time comes. I'm down to the same BFG you're looking at, and the Kuhmo ASX and the Yoko W4S. If you get the BFGs post your impressions of them.
Good luck with the 'hunt'.

I went with the BFGs. They will probably be on the car by next week.
The deal sealer was when the Firestone store actually got the 960s in, and I had a chance to look them over, I was NOT impressed!
First off, they are made in Mexico, which in and of itself is no big deal. BUT, I noticed some splitting/cracking right around the place where the build date is molded into the sidewall (this is a BRAND NEW, tire, NOT a 'blem').
This, combined with how 'sipey' and spongey/flexible the tread shoulder is, a not as stiff as expected sidewall, AND how unusually narrow the actual tread width is just killed the deal.
I am guessing that all of this was done to enhance the snow/ice capability of this tire (which I DO NOT need), to the detriment of the dry handling.
Costco was the only place near me that had ANY size G Force SS all seasons in stock to peruse (even though I did not buy them there). I was VERY impressed with this tire for my intended use.
Nice solid outer tread block shoulder. Siped just enough to evacuate most slush and A LOT of rain, stiff sidewalls, wide actual contact patch for the given size, and MADE IN THE U.S.A. (and yes, I know BFG is owned by the Michelin 'froggies').

I will let everyone know how they perform in the cold, dry weather (IF it comes back by then!) when I have them on and 'cook' the mold release agents out of them.

Glad you've made your decision. Please do let us know what you think after you have them a little while. I'd be interested to know how noisy they are. The rather large siping looks like it could be noisy. I know, as enthusiasts, that performance should be most important. But most of my driving is such that I can't very well use the performance characteristics. And if a tire is noisy, it's noisy all the time, so it becomes important to me. A lot of times though, the tire doesn't get noisy until later in it's life. That's more acceptable.

There are a handful of user reviews of the BF SS all seasons at discounttire.com. Users seem to love this tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back