New Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walmart Johnson Controls EverStart @ 525 CCA $100

Autozone Best Parts Duralast @ 575 CCA $110

Which better? does it matter if I use one with higher CCA than OEM (525).

Advance with a discount code would be better yet...
smile.gif

On the top of the AutoZone batteries says distributed by best parts incorporated, these are the two I'm deciding between. Closest Advance Auto Parts to me is 25 miles and I'm not going to drive that far.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Advance with a discount code would be better yet...
smile.gif

+1

or get O'Reilly Auto Parts (if you have one near you) to price match rural king for $64.99 for their top of the line battery line up. YMMV as you have to sound convincing enough to claim you have a rural king somehow near you or your travels.

Too bad there are no Advance Auto Parts stores near Burleson, TX... They really need to step up their game in the DFW area, they're giving up too much business to AZ and O'R.

I had really good luck with Johnson Controls-made Duralast Gold (AZ) when I lived in DFW.

By the way, higher CCA rating is no problem. I shoehorned a much larger battery into my Honda Element for more CCA and longer reserve capacity.

Is it a Group 26 battery? I know you said AAP 25 mi. however, Autocraft 26 Silver, same CCA and warranty as AZ DL, ~$72 after core charge ($18) using online order code WD37 ($40 off). Just a suggestion.

Group 35, only stores are walmart, az and orielly, and aap has gumout multi system which I really wanna try. But its not worth the drive.

is there really any advantage to having a higher CCA battery? all I've done is add a pair of Sylvania Xtravisions and a 60 watt dual radio.

CCA is for cold cranking; I doubt you'll have any issues with that in Texas! Even in Colorado, I've noticed no difference between the highest CCA battery and one worth 100 CCA lower in below 0 weather.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
By the way, higher CCA rating is no problem. I shoehorned a much larger battery into my Honda Element for more CCA and longer reserve capacity.

Quote:
Is there really any advantage to having a higher CCA battery? all I've done is add a pair of Sylvania Xtravisions and a 60 watt dual radio.

Advantage is more reserve power if you're going to use any accessories after engine shutdown.

Up here in the cold North Midwest at -35F, extra CCA's come in handy in the middle of winter.

If the battery case has enough room for a higher CCA battery, then I say go for it.

If you have AAA, they will come to your house and put in a Johnson Controls for about $125.

Maybe yes, maybe no. More CCA in same physical footprint is a bad idea as it means weaker plates. But more CCA from a physically larger battery is fine.

Best to start your shopping knowing what CCA you vehicle requires or what the original battery was. Cannot go lower than that. But no need to go for more CCA either. Do not compare two batteries of same group size and think the one with more CCA is better.

But sometimes you end up with more CCA than you need as a given group size may not be made in various CCA models.

In the case of a battery for my Bobcat, the exact CCA was an odd battery and I would have needed to order it from Interstate and would have been more $$ than one with more CCA. So I went with the one that seemed to be more common.

Remember to look for the newest manufacturing date at the back of the battery rack.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

Quote:
Is there really any advantage to having a higher CCA battery? all I've done is add a pair of Sylvania Xtravisions and a 60 watt dual radio.

Advantage is more reserve power if you're going to use any accessories after engine shutdown.

Up here in the cold North Midwest at -35F, extra CCA's come in handy in the middle of winter.

If the battery case has enough room for a higher CCA battery, then I say go for it.

Nothing is more frustrating than when it's -30 or -40 out and the starter cranks, but there just isn't enough battery to spin the starter fast enough to fire.

This will be my 4th (and last) winter on the Focus' OE battery. It was cranking a bit slow last winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back