new battery from store is somewhat discharged?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Donald
Well the Schumacher charger saying its 100% is not the same as it having the 810 CCAs the label says it should have.

The battery is only going to age with time, so if it starts with 764??

Yes, I know its not a Midtronics tester.

100% SOC has nothing to do with CCA. Current that the battery can source is a function of impedance. See why I always make a to-do about an impedance value?

What temperature was the battery? Impedance is a function of temperature, and the algorithm in your tester might assume something different.

That's part of why they say that the best test is under load..

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I wonder if someone is changing the date code sticker instead of rotating the batteries out?

I don't put too much faith in the date code stickers. Last year, I bought a battery on February 2nd. The sticker on the battery said 02/12. So...assuming the battery was manufactured at 12:01AM on February 1st (highly doubtful), it made it out the factory, went down the road in a truck, hit the regional warehouse, went from the regional warehouse to the store and got put on the store shelf in less than 36 hours?
Sure it did.

Originally Posted By: Falken
Personally I'd baby the brand new batter prior to putting it in the car.

I'd trickle charge it low and slow in a warm area to bring it up to 100%.

If you doubt your charger, you should set it to 2 amps (safest rate) and verify it with a Multimeter.

There are a lot of cheap chargers out there, best to verify yours.

There is no point in beating up a new battery on it's first crank when the battery is almost flat.

Every 0.1 Volt below 12.6 Volts represents a loss of 25% of the batteries charge.

So, if you have a battery that is brand new and below 12 Volts, charge it up over night.

It's a new battery-just put it in and drive.

In 50+ years of owning vehicles I've never had a single issue with a battery longevity (other than one or two that were defective when purchased), and I've never "babied" a battery prior to installing it.

You're making something that is very simple inordinately contemplated.

I believe the low CCA was due to temp. I brought it inside and its now showing slightly over 820 CCA. The label is 810.

Solar says their BA7 tester does not compensate. Midtronics said you need an expensive model of theirs for it to do temp compensation. The Midtronics PBT300 which is close to $300 does not do temp compensation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back