New Base Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking with My chemistry professor friend and he said PAO stock for synthetic oils could be made from sewage.
shocked2.gif
Now I know someone is going to say, "it already is,"
smirk2.gif
and I doubt I would want to live near the refinery. He said a mixture of human and animal waste, mixed with any waste vegetation would be the ingredients for what could become a PAO base.
cool.gif

I full realize and accept that I have opened myself up to a barrage of jokes, puns, and remarks. But, since sewage is a vast, renewable, resource,
smirk2.gif
I am guessing it is "NOT YET" cost effective. Getting it collected and to a refinery(distillery) is now more expensive than moving crude.

Think of the possibilities!
blush.gif
Waste is recycled into PAO base stock, which is made into super high quality motor oil, which is recycled as fuel for distilleries that make PAO base stock.
banana2.gif

I am going to go and take my meds now.
wink.gif

Hi FrankN4,
everything we live in is a combination of the elements of the periodic table, and new elements are waiting to be found or made by us in the laboratory.
Chemistry is an endless part of the science and if somebody discovers the way to do what you say and in an economic manner, why not...
berlyn

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
... my lawn fertilizer is made from human waste in Milwaukee.

vomit-smiley-31.gif

You could build that new refinery in Washington DC.
grin2.gif

But anything is possible, my lawn fertilizer is made from human waste in Milwaukee.

http://www.milorganite.com/home/

crackmeup2.gif
cheers3.gif

Some of my lawn fertalizer comes from liquid human waste made from a product bottled in Milwaukee
beer3.gif

Quote:
Hi FrankN4,
everything we live in is a combination of the elements of the periodic table, and new elements are waiting to be found or made by us in the laboratory.
Chemistry is an endless part of the science and if somebody discovers the way to do what you say and in an economic manner, why not...
berlyn

Yeah....that is almost exactly what I said to my chemistry professor friend.
wink.gif

You are, of course, correct. I can't help but think there is going to be some sort of super battery/fuel cell/ pocket reactor, or whateveer to power our electric cars. But, there is certainly a political and an economic advantage to recycle waste of any sort or kind.

I had to take two semesters of chemistry in high school. I made it through the year with something like an 82 average, not very good. I don't have a clue how I passed chemistry in college but it hurt my GPA more than anything, I mean it took it down by about .25
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
So synthetic oil is the [censored]?
beer3.gif

LOL.gif

It will be soon.

IMO, this will be great technology if it gets off the ground.

You could build that new refinery in Washington DC.
grin2.gif

But anything is possible, my lawn fertilizer is made from human waste in Milwaukee.

http://www.milorganite.com/home/

My grass absolutely loves that stuff. Gives it a dark green color with no excessive growth.

Nobody better take my Milorganite away to make oil out of it!

Originally Posted By: berlyn
new elements are waiting to be found

Almost any unfound element would have a half-life that is a fraction of a second before they decay into a more stable form. U and Pu are the highest stable element we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back