New Aveo

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a rebadged daewoo. Just be glad that it actually starts unlike the cars they make for Suzuki.

Went to test drive the forenza and the sales guy had trouble starting it. Odo was still in the single digits, and appearantly it's a common problem. Don't even know why GM still keeps it alive to cause more damage to other brands.

quote:

Originally posted by SSQ:
It's a rebadged daewoo. Just be glad that it actually starts unlike the cars they make for Suzuki.

Went to test drive the forenza and the sales guy had trouble starting it. Odo was still in the single digits, and appearantly it's a common problem. Don't even know why GM still keeps it alive to cause more damage to other brands.

If you believe what GM says, they've apparently learned a lot about body panel fitment from Daewoo. They've been able to reduce body gaps from 6 to 2 mm using Daewoo's techniques. If you look at the newer models, such as the Cobalt, G6, the new SUV's, etc, you'll see what I'm talking about. The body gaps are much tighter and more uniform. So, apparently the Daewoo purchase was not all bad. It also got them an entry-level vehicle to tap into a market they were unable to by themselves.

Regarding Suzuki, their quality is terrible across the board. I wouldn't necessarily blame Daewoo for that.

quote:

Originally posted by BrianWC:
Plus it now has an electric throttle.

Is that a good thing? The electric throttle on my Mazda3 is terrible; it doesn't react properly to my inputs, making my Pathfinder a much more enjoyable vehicle to drive. I'm booking an appointment at the dealer today though, so hopefully there's something wrong with it!

quote:

Originally posted by yugrus:

quote:

Originally posted by Matt_S:
Regarding Suzuki, their quality is terrible across the board.

Do you have any examples or experiences of across the board quality problems with Suzuki cars?

I'll admit having no direct experience with Suzuki vehicles, but J.D. Power has them 5'th from the bottom in initial quality (169 problems/100 vehicles) and 3'rd from the bottom in vehicle dependability (318 problems/100 vehicles).

quote:

J.D. Power has them 5'th from the bottom

... and this all can be attributed to Daewoo products enforced on Suzuki by GM. 4 Daewoo models vs 3 "native" Suzukis currently sold in the US. Guess what models have 95% of all TSBs?

BTW, looking at the results of these studies by J.D. Power, I'm not quite sure how relevant they are in the real life...

I have never had one problem with my '98 Tracker 4 door 1.6L. It gets decent mileage (25-26) for a body-on-frame trucklet and just keeps chuggn'. I just did a UOA on it and even Blackstone indicated that Suzuki made fine wearing engines.

Every car company makes a bad apple now and then.

quote:

Originally posted by rpn453:

quote:

Originally posted by BrianWC:
Plus it now has an electric throttle.

Is that a good thing? The electric throttle on my Mazda3 is terrible; it doesn't react properly to my inputs, making my Pathfinder a much more enjoyable vehicle to drive. I'm booking an appointment at the dealer today though, so hopefully there's something wrong with it!

I dunno, my eletronic throttle is my 9-5 makes a big difference when compared to the cable operated throttle on the same engine. In "sport" mode it's incredibly sensitive and easy to modulate.

Look, normally I'm not into tiny boxes but **** gas is high. When I bought my Honda 4 years ago I could fill up for $16. I'm not even done with the payments and it now costs $44 to fill up the same tank with the same gas. Let's not talk about my Saab's now $3.16 a gallon premium fuel. I paid $50 last night. If I could talk my wife into a frickin' moped, I'd ride it.
pat.gif

I have a 05 aveo that i've had for over a year. I'm 6'2 and and i have great leg room. No problems what so ever. My dad just bought an 06 and he likes it as well. I average 33mpg with a mix of highway and city driving and get around 38 on the highway. We both got the cheap package without the air conditioning, doesn't bother me or him. As for looking dumb in it, i could care less, if someone thinks i look stupid driving it, they can pay for my gas in my 03 silverado.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by yugrus:

quote:

Do you have any examples or experiences of across the board quality problems with Suzuki cars?

I'll admit having no direct experience with Suzuki vehicles, but J.D. Power has them 5'th from the bottom in initial quality (169 problems/100 vehicles) and 3'rd from the bottom in vehicle dependability (318 problems/100 vehicles).

I don't understand that list. Mercury is second best in problems per 100 vehicles, but Ford is considerably worse? How's that so? I thought that Mercury products were the exact same as Ford. The only thing I can imagine different is that Ford may have a few exceptionally problematic models that Mercury has none of.

I am not sure about the body gap thing, but one thing I do know is that Daewoo seem to not have much luck when it comes to their mechanical and electronics parts on cars.

GM has never been serious about small cars like the Aveo, even now when gas price is way higher, they are still pushing their trucks and SUVs. I am sure if they are serious about tapping into that market, they will be able to do a much better job than the current offering Aveo, Cobalt, Ion.... etc.

As for Suzuki, their cars that are made by Suzuki in Japan seem to have very good quality, as all the Suzuki cars my family have owned (mostly overseas, all made in Japan) has never had problems.

Suzuki makes GREAT cars, the ones that suck, are the rebadged DAEWOOS. They are the ones that drowned Suzuki in those JD Powers rankings, which back to my point, is how Daewoo is killing other brands. JD powers list doesn't represent "across the board" relibility. Please do some research on what that number actully means before using it.

Same goes for VW. My Jetta made in Mexico was a piece of junk when it comes to reliability. Buddy's Passat from Germany never had a problem..... same thing can be applied on many cases on the list.

As for Suzuki, their models thar are still made by Suzuki had behaved well, and proved relatively reliable. Their Daewoo models are dying at dealership, killing the Suzuki brand. JD powers is the perfect example of my previous point of Daewoo killing other brands. (Although in the case of Aveo, this case doesn't apply)

Sorry guys, for steering the topic away. I will close the case now.

Again, my point is that I am suprised on the fact that the Aveo being made by Daewoo, havn't had much serious problems thus far. But somehow for a company like GM, they could have done much better, especially for a market in demand. For a car that size, with that engine, should provide better gas milage (which is now important part of car buying decisions). At the same time, the price on number seems good. But once you add in what it's compeitors have as standard, the price isn't exactly that much better.

Again, GM can seriously do better, it will pay in the long run.

quote:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back