New apartments shoddy build quality

My nephew moved into a newly-built apartment downtown. It's a really nice building and he's excited to be the first one living in it. We helped him move in and the first night there we encountered problems. First, there were plumbing issues. The main floor Kohler toilet wouldn't flush correctly and the shower backed up. Luckily, the maintenance guys came pretty quickly and after a while of tinkering, they pulled out plastic pieces and other construction garbage from the shower drain. They had to replace something in the toilet tank but it was fine after. And again, this is a BRAND NEW place. My nephew later said he met his new neighbors and they also experienced plumbing issues.

Next up, electrical issues. The kitchen lights flicker and a row of under-cabinet lights don't work. An electrician is scheduled to come check those things out.

There are also signs of poor fit & finish. The floors shake pretty good when the washer/dryer are running, recessed lights have gaps and aren't fully flush with the ceiling, there are marks & dings on the wall from careless construction workers, the main door deadbolt requires some shimmying to lock right and etc. As a renter, he can just call up the maintenance crew whenever something gets messed up but it's obvious this place was hastily slapped up.

Has anyone else noticed shoddy build quality in new construction?

I live in Florida in an apartment building that is basically new, built in 2013.

I have moved into a different apartment every year for the last 9 years, from Ohio to Florida. Some ranging from literally brand new and I'm the first to live in it to 50+ years old. Sometimes the older they are, the better they are since everything is built so quickly these days. Overall, just a lessened sense of pride in doing a job well done. I've had to do work on every place I've lived because some of the stuff I just can't stand to look at.

It's not just apartment either. My in-laws live in a new division here in Florida. They are still building homes around theirs and just finished up 1 right next to them and 3 right across the street. I've walked all of them throughout the building phases and good lord some of the shoddy work I saw. If only the people buying them new what was hiding behind that cheap, fresh paint and gypsum. Luckily it was a different builder than the one who built my in-laws place.

To put it simply, craftsmanship is dead.

Last edited:
The lowest cost bidder and the lowest skilled workers, the lowest cost parts etc...

Originally Posted by Throt
I have moved into a different apartment every year for the last 9 years.

Why? Do you change cities a lot for work? I can't think of one thing I like less than moving. Unless of course you are a minimalist and can get everything in a car in one trip.

Just wait until his neighbors move in and he can hear everything through paper thin walls.

What kind of heating system is in the apt? For his sake, let's hope it's gas heat.

Originally Posted by RhondaHonda

Why? Do you change cities a lot for work? I can't think of one thing I like less than moving. Unless of course you are a minimalist and can get everything in a car in one trip.

Just happened that way. Moved every year of college, when college was over the now-wife and I moved each year to nicer places and better areas as our income rose and the dogs multiplied. Then we moved to Florida and have done the same thing again. We're actually going to re-sign our current lease for the first time ever. Why? Because I'm getting too old and have accumulated too many tools to keep moving.
laugh.gif

Plus, with this COVID uncertainty, moving just isn't high on the list.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by RhondaHonda

Just happened that way. Moved every year of college, when college was over the now-wife and I moved each year to nicer places and better areas as our income rose and the dogs multiplied. Then we moved to Florida and have done the same thing again. We're actually going to re-sign our current lease for the first time ever. Why? Because I'm getting too old and have accumulated too many tools to keep moving.
laugh.gif

Plus, with this COVID uncertainty, moving just isn't high on the list.

Have considered buying a house ?

I agree shoddy workmanship.

One of my nieces bought a new house last year. Day after they moved in one of the toilets was clogged. Plumber came out, removed the toilet and pulled out a bunch of plastic sheeting which was obviously construction trash. There are some stupid people on this planet.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
One of my nieces bought a new house last year. Day after they moved in one of the toilets was clogged. Plumber came out, removed the toilet and pulled out a bunch of plastic sheeting which was obviously construction trash. There are some stupid people on this planet.

I wouldn't call them stupid. More like untrained and possibly (more than likely) underpaid as well.
I live in downtown Vancouver BC. Here, there's a new tower being erected daily (with older buildings being demolished at a similar rate).
The construction workers I see on the streets appear to be nothing more than kids...early 20s who have no real experience or commitment to their profession.
They only see their job as a way of earning a living until they can find something better to do. Nothing more, nothing less.

After taking one look at them, they do not look like someone I'd want working on anything I value.
Especially not with the going rate for a 500sq foot condo in my area ($1m+)

Its very frustrating -- things are fast and cheap but yet -- there not giving you a break on your rent. That paired with your blood/sweat and tears to pay your bills.

Just be thankful he didn't buy it as a condo and I'm sure the cheap shoddy construction is why there's almost no new rentals being built in Ontario at least, they are all condos. Who wants to be a landlord with a PITA building when you can cash out and leave the condo owners association to deal with it.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by PowerSurge

I wouldn't call them stupid. More like untrained and possibly (more than likely) underpaid as well.
I live in downtown Vancouver BC. Here, there's a new tower being erected daily (with older buildings being demolished at a similar rate).
The construction workers I see on the streets appear to be nothing more than kids...early 20s who have no real experience or commitment to their profession.
They only see their job as a way of earning a living until they can find something better to do. Nothing more, nothing less.

After taking one look at them, they do not look like someone I'd want working on anything I value.
Especially not with the going rate for a 500sq foot condo in my area ($1m+)

You don't have to be trained to know not to throw plastic sheeting in a toilet and flush it. They were either stupid or did it intentionally.

Craftsmanship is not dead. I work with skilled carpenters, plumbers, electricians, painters, roofers, stone masons, etc etc etc. The problem is that they get what they are worth. When you build an apartment or tract housing or cookie cutter development it goes to the lowest bidder. And you do get what you pay for. Building owner wants it cheap and fast and is willing to sacrifice quality for the buck.
I garantee you that apartment building could be built to excellent quality, but it would probably cost 50% more than owner wants to pay.
My company absolutely refuses to bid those kind of jobs. We care about what we do and take pride in our work and the finished product. We do mostly work for upper income people who value quality and craftsmanship. So no, quality is not dead it just costs more than most people are willing to pay.

Originally Posted by walterjay
Craftsmanship is not dead. I work with skilled carpenters, plumbers, electricians, painters, roofers, stone masons, etc etc etc. The problem is that they get what they are worth. When you build an apartment or tract housing or cookie cutter development it goes to the lowest bidder. And you do get what you pay for. Building owner wants it cheap and fast and is willing to sacrifice quality for the buck.
I garantee you that apartment building could be built to excellent quality, but it would probably cost 50% more than owner wants to pay.
My company absolutely refuses to bid those kind of jobs. We care about what we do and take pride in our work and the finished product. We do mostly work for upper income people who value quality and craftsmanship. So no, quality is not dead it just costs more than most people are willing to pay.

I agree. We did extensive renovations on a new to us house a couple of years ago. We did not go with the cheapest bidder. We had a "general carpenter glass guy" who had done some good work for our daughter. He had a key to our house and did work while we were out of town. He recommended subcontractors he liked to work with. We went with them. We got on time, high quality work. We were organized and so were they. Sometimes you do get what you pay for.

Originally Posted by mclasser
My nephew moved into a newly-built apartment downtown. It's a really nice building and he's excited to be the first one living in it. We helped him move in and the first night there we encountered problems. First, there were plumbing issues. The main floor Kohler toilet wouldn't flush correctly and the shower backed up. Luckily, the maintenance guys came pretty quickly and after a while of tinkering, they pulled out plastic pieces and other construction garbage from the shower drain. They had to replace something in the toilet tank but it was fine after. And again, this is a BRAND NEW place. My nephew later said he met his new neighbors and they also experienced plumbing issues.

Next up, electrical issues. The kitchen lights flicker and a row of under-cabinet lights don't work. An electrician is scheduled to come check those things out.

There are also signs of poor fit & finish. The floors shake pretty good when the washer/dryer are running, recessed lights have gaps and aren't fully flush with the ceiling, there are marks & dings on the wall from careless construction workers, the main door deadbolt requires some shimmying to lock right and etc. As a renter, he can just call up the maintenance crew whenever something gets messed up but it's obvious this place was hastily slapped up.

Has anyone else noticed shoddy build quality in new construction?

New construction, whether it's apartments or in a housing development, it's all about profits. Build cheap, milk profits.

20 years ago, my parents bought a new construction home in a new development... immediately drywall nails were popping out!!! Yes, they were using nails instead of screws

My cousin bought a new construction, and when we inspected the house, just found shoddy workmanship everywhere.

Last edited:
If purchasing new this is why I would do research on the builder prior, ask around the neighborhood for others built by the same for their satisfaction level, etc. Too many people walk into a house and are wowed at the surface-level stuff without considering the quality.

Back