New antivirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a new antivirus product called Vipre made by a company called Sunbelt Software (in Florida). It is supposed to make use of new technology (a mock operating system) and is supposed to be much faster and use far less resources than other antivirus programs. A guy told me the performance of his company went from night to day using the Vipre program and that the product actually finds stuff on his computer.

Malware is identified when it attacks the mock operating system which has a mock registry, etc., and also by signatures and behavior. Pretty interesting.

I heard of this several months ago before it was out there. I believe it is one of the first utilities to use "white-listing" when scanning which greatly shortens scan times.

I have the Windows 7 RC on my notebook now in a separate partition. I amy install Vipre to see how it does because I'm continually intrigued with that software's claims.

I've used it extensively as well as Counterspy. I find that it is one of the better programs to keep khrap off PC's.

But no program keeps 100% of junk off the PC, not even this one.

Maybe one day there will be a 'perfect' a/v & a/spy-ware all-in-one solution that will find 100% of every bit of nastyware, until then, I'll stick with Vipre. Sunbelt has a good thing going.

I have been using it since the Black Friday sale where I got it for $9.95 a copy. Very low on resources and an excellent product.

Been around for a long time. Counterspy was une I used way back but dumped after others outperformed better. Three days ago I scanned PC with Spyware Doctor, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and a-squared and only a-squared found a bad virus.

This is nothing new. It's a pseudo HIPS type solution. Instead of looking for viruses/blacklisting, known legit programs are always allowed to run, and when an unknown or know virus runs, it's flagged.

A program called Prevx has had this technology for several years.

I'll still use virtualization as my main defense. It's the closest thing to 100% security available.

Last edited:
It's the only a/v & a/sw solution on the market that uses a single engine for scanning, reducing I/O overhead.

The clients released last month made a noticeable difference in scanning overhead--most people didn't even know it was running a scan! Usually we'll get complaints that "the system is slow".

Drew is right, virtualization is the way to go. But for most people, that's too complex an animal to deal with...

If this technology works really well it should not be too long before all of the major antivirus makers have it. Maybe it will put a major dent in the malware tide.

Nothing will put a dent in the malware tide because most users have no common sense.

Any independent reviews of this program yet?

Malware Research Group did a test April 2009 a-squared 4.0 top with Avira AntiVir Premium 9. a-squared v4.5 just released even better. 17 programs listed, if you are inteeted in ones ranking let me know as I cant cut/paste it for some reason.

http://malwareresearchgroup.com/?page_id=2

Quote:
Malware Tests
Malware Research Group Project #18

Project details: On Demand scan test

Operating System used in this test: Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3

Total number of programs used in this test: 18

List of programs used:

1. a-squared Anti-Malware 4.0.0.79

2. avast! 4.8.1335

3. AVG Anti-Virus 8.5.287 Build 1483

4. Avira AntiVir Premium 9.0.0.420

5. BitDefender AntiVirus 2009 Build 12.0.12.0

6. COMODO Internet Security 3.8.65951.477

7. ClamWin Free Antivirus 0.95.1

8. Dr.Web 5.00.1.04130 for Windows

9. ESET Nod32 Antivirus 4.0.417

10. F-Secure Internet Security 2009 9.00.149

11. G DATA InternetSecurity 2009 19.0.0.53

12. Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009 8.0.0.506

13. Norman Antivirus & Anti-Spyware 7.10

14. Norton AntiVirus 2009 16.5.0.134

15. Sophos Anti-Virus 7.3.0

16. Twister Anti-TrojanVirus 7.32

17. eScan Antivirus Edition V10

18. McAfee VirusScan Plus 2009

Malware samples used in this test: 395.844
Malware categories used in this test and the amount of samples in each category :

Windows/Macro Viruses- 18.696

Trojans/Backdoors- 243.811

Worms/Rootkits- 86.634

Adware/Spyware- 46.703

Samples used in this test were supplied by our own team of researchers, all the samples used in this test date from January 1st 2008. up to December 31st 2008.

Methodology used in this test:

1.Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 is installed and updated with all the important updates.

2. Image of the Operating System is being created.

3. Clones of the Imaged system have been made in the amount of programs used in the test.

4. On each of the Cloned systems a separate program is being installed.

5. All of the programs in the test are being updated with the latest databases at the same time. When the updating procedure is finished and the successful program updates have been verified, internet is disconnected.

6. Malware package that was prepaid earlier is being placed into every PC scheduled for testing.

7. All the programs in the test are set to delete all the detected items.

8. After each program finishes the test, another scan is being performed on the undetected items.

9. When each of the programs completes the second scan, the samples missed are being counted and stored into the external storage unit.

10. The final results are presented and show the amount of samples that were detected and removed.

The table shows the program tested, the amount of malware samples (all of the categories above) that were detected and removed.

Pogram Detection Rate (%)
a-squared 99.6%*
Avira 99.6%*
G DATA 99.4%
Avast 99.2%
Norton 99.0%
Kaspersky 98.8%
BitDefender 98.7%
eScan 98.5%
F-Secure 98.3%
McAfee 98.1%
Nod32 97.6%
AVG 96.9%
COMODO 96.2%
Twister 95.7%
Sophos 93.5%
Norman 93.2%
Dr.Web 86.3%
ClamAV 85.7%

If you wish to use these results on your website, please use a direct link to this web page.

We wish to point out once again, that this test was done using malware samples created and discovered in the past year (2008.), we did not use any “suspicious” files or False Positives, we didn’t take scanning speed into consideration, this was test was conducted simply to check the ability of today’s Anti-Malware programs when dealing with malware samples which have been around for some tome.

Avira and a-squared detected exactly the same amount of samples (99.61%), that result is very rare in tests like this and has happened to our team only once before this test. Both Avira and a-squared share the first place in this test.

This test is property of Malware Research Groupany unauthorized reproduction of this test is strictly forbidden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back