New anti-stab knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the point is to prevent the cases when family members get into a fight and stab someone in the heat of the moment. This, obviously, is not meant to take care of the hooligan problem when they carry their own knives.

It's a double edged sword, greenacord02. Many of our consumer nanny items are byproducts of a couple of things, mainly people who shouldn't be doing what they're doing. The sneaker ..err..athletic shoe market is a perfect example. I had two basic versions over my entire joint pounding career. Make that 4 versions over various brands. High or low. Canvas or leather. They worked fine.

Now move a mass of people who should not be pounding their joints ..who probably never pounded their joints scholastically, and now you've got a growth market in powder puff pampering ..with a fashion component.

Now move to chainsaws. Chainsaws were typically limited to who could sensibly use them. Start a market for wood burning stoves ..and smaller chain saws follow. Fingers aren't getting removed by employees, they're getting lost by consumers and their children. The "lawn dart" syndrome of unintended consequences.

Lastly, one would sensibly run statistical analysis on what is injuring and/or killing your population in terms of accidental death/injury and attempt to engineer out the common hazards that allow them to happen. You do it in the work place all the time. The best defense is not to be there. That is, eliminate the cause and insulate the person from the hazard in a manner that can't be trumped "by accident".

I don't know where you're supposed to stop on this quest. I assume that you'll eventually reach some collision like we're going to see in our automobiles. We're spending a whole lot to save fewer and fewer ..and it will eventually be beyond our ability to sustain the costs.

I hope they never do the statistical analysis on which dangerous product to ban next... I like my ladders, atv, dirtbike, chainsaws, snowmobile, crossbow, etc...

Well, if too many people die or cause injury to themselves ..it's likely that they'll see alteration. Your chainsaw probably has safety features that weren't there 25 years ago. It's the same with your lawnmowers and snow blowers.

Personal watercraft didn't always have the tethered ignition kill feature.

etc...etc...

That is true, pretty much all my stuff does have some safety feature on it, chainsaws do have chainbrakes and chain catchers now.
I guess if a notch on the end of the knife saves a few people and doesn't cause injuries due to the lack of a real point, then why not...
They'll never be in my house as my wife actually knows how to use a knife but for most folks who like them dull as spoons, they won't miss it...

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Chainsaws were typically limited to who could sensibly use them.

+1

Somewhat related... A few weeks ago I got a chance to tour the shop of a small startup making experimental carbon fiber ultra light aircraft. Someone asked "so what kind of liability insurance do you have to have". The answer: "none. These are designated by the FAA as experimental, so the buyer assumes all risk."

As we were leaving, I was thinking.... just imagine how cheap health care would be if the medical industry could dodge all liability.

I'm not trying to suggest how things should be - just noting the cost differences in industries where things are only sold to those willing to assume all risk.

Lots of stuff is sold with no assurance of "merchantability". Most of the things that consumers buy, do. Toasters are supposed to toast ..and not kill the person toasting the bread.

..but other stuff is just sold "as is" with no assumed sensible function other than what you're attempting to use it for.

I've got a portable fusion generator here. Wanna buy it?

What would I do with it?

Got me swinging, pal. That's your problem.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Lots of stuff is sold with no assurance of "merchantability". Most of the things that consumers buy, do. Toasters are supposed to toast ..and not kill the person toasting the bread.

Or the spouse taking a bath...

Quote:
According to the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission there were over 28,500 chain saw injuries in 1999. More than 36% were injuries to the legs and knees.
The average chainsaw injury requires 110 stitches and the average medical cost was $ 5,600.00 in 1989. Data according to The Davis Garvin Agency, an insurance underwriter specializing in loggers insurance. In year 2000 corresponding costs can be estimated to be over $12,000.00.
Medical costs for chainsaw injuries based on these facts amount to about 350 million dollars per year.
Workman's compensation costs, based on the assumption that four weeks recovery is required, can be estimated at 125 million dollars annually.

http://www.elvex.com/facts08.htm

Wow, $425 million annual cost to society plus a lot of pain for the loggers. When you aggregate the numbers, things look scary.

Well, I'd think atleast half the saw injuries are amateurs... That link didn't really say who was included in the injury numbers. Go on youtube and you will see alot of dumb people in sandals on ladders...
And once you know what your doing with the saw, the trees you are cutting still have 10's of thousands of ftlb of energy.
I can't say I've had a close call, but there are many trees I won't cut to keep from having a close call or worse... It's fun work though, keeps you thinking and heating my house costs about $40 in gas.

Originally Posted By: ksJoe
As we were leaving, I was thinking.... just imagine how cheap health care would be if the medical industry could dodge all liability.

Wouldn't save you a single cent.

Oz doctors got to dodge any and all liability up to the point that they cause 20% total and permanent disability, and no compensation for intangibles such as pain and suffering...costs dropped not a cent.

If they kill you on the table, then you "didn't make it", and "knew the risks"...and they get away scott free.

That's an insult to term Scott free.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.