New Amsoil MC 10W-40 94 Zx-11 761 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finally installed some of the new Amsoil 10W-40 motorcycle oil, which I sampled at 761 miles and 1500 miles, in order to compare to other samples I've had done. Here is the 761 mile sample.
code:

Oil Amsoil 10W-40 M/C

Miles on oil 761

Fe 16

Cr 0

Pb 0

Cu 4

Sn 0

Al 9

Ni 0

Ag 0

Si 5

B 16

Na 8

Mg 179

Ca 3067

Ba 0

P 1172

Zn 1506

Mo 40

Ti 0

Va 0

K 0

Fuel
Visc@100C 11.57

Water 0

Glycol NEG

TBN 9.1

This did include about 4 ounces of Lube Control at the start, but it still seems to have sheared quite a bit. The wear numbers are about normal for my bike, maybe a bit elevated. My 1500 mile sample results should be coming soon.

iron is high. copper is on the verge of being high. zinc looks good.

how hard are you twisting the right wrist in these 761 miles?

how much oil does your bike hold?

The wear metals must be due mostly to the way I ride. I have fun, but rarely do I approach my bike's 11500 rpm redline. The sump holds 3.5 quarts, and I use and change a Kawsaki OE filter every time I change the oil. Can iron be coming from the clutch?

i guess you need to find out if you have steel clutch plates or not. i am gonna guess yes. so that iron would be from the clutch and be quite normal. however, then where is your aluminum coming from? maybe the clutch basket itself?
with the exception of iron, copper, aluminum and the poor viscosity, looks good.
i can't wait to see the 1500 mile uoa.
how much are you paying for this oil that sheared out of grade in a mere 761 miles?
i'll guess the vis will be a low30/high20 by then.

Oil sheared down to a 30wt in no time.
dunno.gif

How much are you paying for this oil that sheared out of grade in a mere 761 miles?

lol.gif

Seriously, though, we may be able to credit the additives with the thinning effect.

I would try an unadditized dino HDEO like Rotella (15W40). You'll see better numbers, and you'll save enough on your next oil change to pay for the UOA.
wink.gif

Dan

I think I saw where the new oil has some kind of additive and makes that iron reading high. Something to do with the new longterm storage stability with rusting.

It would be interesting to see the results without the additives though. Cause this oil was not supposed to shear in 761 miles like that.

I've been running the old 20w50 ams and I run very close to redline frequently, also sustain it for long periods of time. I do 2000 mile changes. That oil also reduced my operating temps.

The cold comes soon , so I'm going to switch to 10w40 Redline, see how it does with my 36,000 mile clutch.

Well, upon checking my other reports, I have to retract the statement that wear might be a bit elevated. It's actually normal, or even a hair less than anything else I've tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back