NEW AMSOIL ATL TRANSMISSION FLUID

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah competition is always a plus. I will continue to use D6 in my tacoma but I am curious to try some ATL in my sisters Yukon. I think these ATF's are pretty close in quality.

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Yeah competition is always a plus. I will continue to use D6 in my tacoma but I am curious to try some ATL in my sisters Yukon. I think these ATF's are pretty close in quality.

I know you've run D-6 in your tacoma that specs WS. From your experience with D-6, is it a big enough improvement over WS? And what have you noticed after the switch?

I'm considering running ATL in my tundra and 4runner, and i'd like your opinion on it.
I don't think i want to tackle the job myself, and i don't know if my mechanic knows how to do it right. I really don't want to have the dealer do it either.
But maybe it would be safe to do a bunch of drain and refills?

Anybody think the ATL is of better quality than WS?

I have only been running the D6 for about 6K, but in that time it has impressed me in comparision to the WS. The shifts seem to be more smooth and solid. The biggest improvement was consistency of the shifts in the hot weather we experience here in the desert. I need to log some more miles and have a UOA performed to really get a well rounded impression. The Toyota WS sheared a bit with only 30K, and I was told by redline that D6 will not shear below 6.1

As you know amsoil makes excellent ATF, and I think the new ATL is no exception. Between the two, I think it comes down to brand preference. How much do you work on cars? Have you ever performed a cooler line flush? The level check procedure was pretty easy for me after the first go round. If you want I can send you directions on how to do it, and you can decide if you are comfortable with it. I would not recommend the drain and fill approach as it is wasteful and expensive with fluids like D6 and ATL. The flush will provide the fluids full benefits.

If you can find it, I did a write up, I think it was Tacoma flushed w/ D6 a few months ago.

I have only been running the D6 for about 6K, but in that time it has impressed me in comparision to the WS. The shifts seem to be more smooth and solid. The biggest improvement was consistency of the shifts in the hot weather we experience here in the desert. I need to log some more miles and have a UOA performed to really get a well rounded impression. The Toyota WS sheared a bit with only 30K, and I was told by redline that D6 will not shear below 6.1

As you know amsoil makes excellent ATF, and I think the new ATL is no exception. Between the two, I think it comes down to brand preference. How much do you work on cars? Have you ever performed a cooler line flush? The level check procedure was pretty easy for me after the first go round. If you want I can send you directions on how to do it, and you can decide if you are comfortable with it. I would not recommend the drain and fill approach as it is wasteful and expensive with fluids like D6 and ATL. The flush will provide the fluids full benefits.

If you can find it, I did a write up, I think it was Tacoma flushed w/ D6 a few months ago.

Good to hear about the D-6. I am assuming that the ATL may be as good of quality? WS sheared a bit at 30k miles huh? Wow, that just might push my severe service intervals ( or at least the first one ) to 30k instead of 50k. Do you think that would be wise?

I do all my work on my stuff, and prefer it that way. To be honest, i would prefer to do the ATF myself if possible. I was planning on having the stealership do it, but i would feel more confortable if i did it myself. I've never done a cooler line flush, but i've never had a sealed transmission before either. On my previous toyota vehicles i have just did drain and refills every other oil change after the 30k mile mark.

I would like some directions, if it's not a PITA for you to send them out. I understand with drain and refills, you don't get the full effect and it would take about what......12-14 of them to equal a full flush? And maybe it would be kind of a waste, but my thing is i want to do the job RIGHT if i do the flush.
I have the platinum warranty (7/100k) on my tundra, and so i don't want to screw it up.

I just got my prices on the ATL, and it's cheaper than WS at $7.14 per quart in the case pricing.

Thanks for the info, and i'll try to find your post.

I read about someone that measured what came out of the trans pan and refilled that exact amount in the trans. Can't remember but I think it was BTOG? They then added 2 extra qts. Then they got a container and put the hoses or hose in the container and ran two qts out.

Then refill the two qts again and repeat as needed. I have done many flushes over the years and in the last 2-3 years I have been using this method. It takes longer but I never lose track of how much fluid is in the trans.

I really like this method and it is the one I will be sticking with. Another tip, if I am not sure what hose or line is going which way I just connect hoses to both and put them in the container. Then start the engine and see which one has fluid coming out.

All it takes is one time of picking the wrong line and connecting and routing it in the bucket just to find that fluid sprayed out of the line or hose you thought nothing was supposed come out of.........
shocked2.gif

Once you are successful you will have the satisfaction of it being done with quality in mind. You won't have to wonder did they just drop the pan and say they flushed it???? I just did a friends Saturn and found a small pile of gravel in the pan. Talk about a quality job........

This trans service was done at the Saturn Dealer.........

I'd imagine if you had room in the pan for the extra 2 qts, this would work out pretty well. I assume you do?

Yeah, stealership stories are never-ending. That's why i'd prefer to do everything myself.

I take my vehicles to a local trans shop. They can do the complete purge flush in about 45 min which includes dropping pan, R&R filter if needed, refilling pan and disconnecting cooler line and flushing out all the old ATF. I asked 2 GM dealers if they could do this but they acted dumb and said they never heard of doing that.

Btw - This trans shop does most all trans work for 2 GM dealers, the Chrysler dealer in the area. The Ford dealer is the only one who employ's a trans tech. Go figure? I have sent many friends to this trans shop and they never let me down. Also, the owner of the shop has a newer Dodge Ram. I asked him why he went to the Dodge from the GMC and he said, they sent me some much business that I had to buy a new truck from them.

Originally Posted By: 3Toyotas
I'd imagine if you had room in the pan for the extra 2 qts, this would work out pretty well. I assume you do?

Yeah, stealership stories are never-ending. That's why i'd prefer to do everything myself.

You could fill the pan with the normal amount and pump out 2 qts as well.......same difference.

Or overfill the pan with just 1 qt and and run 2 qts out. Then you will be only one qt under full to 1 qt over full at any given time.

3Toyotas ( and anyone else who wants to know this )....to find a post by someone else just left click on their name, and you'll see an option that will show you all the posts made by that poster. You can do that with your own name as well :)

AZfireguy...you said that D6 doesn't shear down past 6.1, but I thought D6/WS/ATL was a thinner oil and started out around a vis of 5 or so?

Originally Posted By: hate2work
3Toyotas ( and anyone else who wants to know this )....to find a post by someone else just left click on their name, and you'll see an option that will show you all the posts made by that poster. You can do that with your own name as well :)

AZfireguy...you said that D6 doesn't shear down past 6.1, but I thought D6/WS/ATL was a thinner oil and started out around a vis of 5 or so?

Good tip..........

Yes the D6 is 6.4 and the ATL is 6.0 I think they are more concerned with sticking to the Dex VI spec that doesnt allow a viscosity over 6.5 It works very well so I suspect RL and Asmsoil know what they are doing.

Yes the D6 is 6.4 and the ATL is 6.0 I think they are more concerned with sticking to the Dex VI spec that doesnt allow a viscosity over 6.5 It works very well so I suspect RL and Asmsoil know what they are doing.

This brings up another question i have. Going off the viscosites, which of the 2 (D6 or ATL) would be best for our toyota's?

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Coin toss! There are no best fluids. Both are excellent.

I kind of figured that; but where the viscosities are higher for the D-6 i would assume it MIGHT be better.

I don't know though, so school me on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back