DEOQT Synthetic 5W-40 Premium Diesel Oil: 1 quart bottle

$7.30
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

popcorn.gif

Lucky 13,

Have you checked the prices on Delvac 1 recently???

The last time I checked, the regular price of Delvac 1 through AVLube was $126.00 for four gallons ($31.50/gallon) and the "sale" price was $110.00/4 gallons ($27.50/gallon), plus shipping.

When Delvac 1 changes over to CJ-4 on 15 Oct, I don't expect the prices to go down.
frown.gif

TS

I'm not saying the pig tastes better then the cow because its cheaper..

I'm just saying.. "________, thats a lot of money."

I wish all prices would drop. This is what I usually run (I pick it up at Walmart so no shipping costs to add on) but even here Mobil 1 isn't a whole lot cheaper..

http://store.avlube.com/mo1tudi5w.html

Is there any truth to the rumor that the older CI-4+ will be a STRONGER, HEAVIER-DUTY motor oil than the new CJ-4?

Thank You.

Joe Fihn

Joseph - it is true that the "older" motor oils do have a higher percentage of certain additves. Amsoil has a statement:

Quote:

Synthetic 5W-40 Premium Diesel Oil may be used in pre-2007 diesel engines, but for increased protection and performance for extended drain intervals, AMSOIL continues to recommend Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel& Marine Motor Oil (AME), Series 3000 Synthetic 5W-30 Diesel Oil (HDD) or Synthetic 10W-30/SAE 30 Diesel Oil (ACD).

Lubes and Greases had an article this month talking about the requirements to meet CJ-4, and it was mentioned that there were improvements made in several areas of performance that would make CJ-4 a better oil in every way than CI4+. The issue for me is that these are minimum standards that are required to meet the current or new specs. The fact that companies like Amsoil and Schaeffers and others have long offered premium products that far exceed these minimum performance standards means that, due to chemical limits for protection of particulate filters, that Amsoil's DEO, CJ-4 product would probably not be your best option for an engine that does not require it. You would be paying more for an oil that may not last as long in service (lower TBN). OTOH, if I was at the store and CJ-4 Delo 15W-40 was priced exactly the same as CI4+ Delo 15W-40, I would buy the CJ-4 oil, going by what the LNG article said about improvements to make the new minimum spec.

Quote:

Ahhh yes... gotta spend money to make money.. errr.. spend money to spend money.. uhhh

Do you have a Sam's Club or Costco membership? Gotta buy a membership to save in their stores. In the end, you usually come out ahead.

$20 per year for PC, $30 per year for dealer.

Most people will save more than $20 or $30 on their oil purchases in a year because they are saving an average of 15% off of retail prices. In the end, you usually come out ahead.

Quote:

Quote:

Ahhh yes... gotta spend money to make money.. errr.. spend money to spend money.. uhhh

Do you have a Sam's Club or Costco membership? Gotta buy a membership to save in their stores. In the end, you usually come out ahead.

$20 per year for PC, $30 per year for dealer.

Most people will save more than $20 or $30 on their oil purchases in a year because they are saving an average of 15% off of retail prices. In the end, you usually come out ahead.

I often equate the Amsoil PC program to Sams club. Spend $20 save 25% and order enough oil for all vehicles and equipment and you will come out ahead.

Spend $20 to order 5 quarts and a filter, well that isn't too good but higher quantities save especially on shipping.

PS shipping is based on weight so mixed cases still get the better shipping rate than just ordering 5 quarts at a time.

A 25lb case is $.36 or $9. You will pay $8 something for 5 quarts. So that is something to consider as well.

I recommend the 6 month membership, as it is more reasonable for a first time user/buyer. Since it only cost $10, it is a lot easier to break-even, and possibly save a couple of dollars, on an order consisting of an EA air filter, EA oil filter, and 5+ quarts (that includes the XL line).

It is understanding that Ford recommends using Motorcraft CJ-4 in pre 2007 PSD.

The lower ash should help the EGR. Can anyone confirm this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back