New Amsoil 5w-40 AFL

Status
Not open for further replies.
 -

Looking forward to the specs of this oil.
smile.gif

[ April 01, 2004, 06:30 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

TYPICAL TECHNICAL PROPERTIES
AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40 European Engine Oil AFL

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)

Kinematic Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)
Viscosity Index (ASTM D-2270)
Viscosity CCS, cP @ °C (ASTM D-5293)
5241 (-30)
Flash Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-92)
232 (449)
Fire Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-92)
246 (474)
Pour Point °C (°F) (ASTM D-97) -51 (-59)
Noack Volatility, % weight loss (g/100g) (ASTM D-5800)
Four Ball Wear Test (ASTM D-4172B @ 40 kg, 75°C, 1200 rpm, 1 hr), Scar, mm
Total Base Number 12.2
HTHS (cP) (ASTM D-4683) 4.2

Amsoil 5W-40

Wow, those specs are awesome
bowdown.gif
NOAK of 5.5% HT/HS of 4.2.
shocked.gif

[ March 31, 2004, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Ok, when can we get a VOA?

[ March 31, 2004, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

I've been going around with Amsoil tech support to get a product data sheet (sorry, not avail yet) and trying to find where you can order it on teh web site (no clue).
This oil was announced in their current Action news.

Ohh, BTW the Amsoil three letter code for this oil is AFL, not ADD

The Mobil 1 SUV is SL/SJ. Cold temp properties are better with the AFL. Tough call on this one. AFL would be better for gas engines IMO.

I honestly don't see what is so exiciting about this new Amsoil. 5w40 has been "yesterday's news" in Europe for well over a year. Cars calling for an Xw40 synthetic in Europe are getting 0w40, not 5w40. Castrol's premier synthetic is 0w40. Shell's bread and butter grade of Helix Ultra, which was for years the quintesential 5w40, is now 0w40. And of course, the Mobil 1 that meets EVERY European manufacturer's extended drain specs is 0w40.

Sorry, but I think Amsoil is a day late and a dollar short with this oil.

quote:

Sorry, but I think Amsoil is a day late and a dollar short with this oil.

What impresses me is the low NOAK of 5.5% and the HT/HS. Mobil 1 0w-40 is 3.6 vs 4.2 for this oil. Flash point is higher with the AFL, but the 0w-40 is as high.

However, the SUV equivalent, is 4.1 HT/HS NOAK unknown. What I'd look out for is whether this Amsoil thickens or not, which seems to be a problem at times.

[ March 31, 2004, 10:02 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

G-Man I disagree. Maybe late to market, but Amsoil doesn't market Europe. So late???

A dollar short? Excuse me, but I think they purposely avoided the 0W- ,which doesn't sell in the USA worth a hoot, other than folks here.

You maybe miss the point - the oil is for the US market. So a GOOD synthetic 5W-40 choice is great news. It'll be in my newer Volvo, which now has 10W-40.

For the US market? I don't see the starburst.....as long as Amzoil refuses to certify, they'll not be a big player in the US. If some of the big-market, certified oils didn't have to follow the rules, as it were, they would probably have better specs.
Mike

quote:

Originally posted by Mike Thompson:
For the US market? I don't see the starburst.....as long as Amzoil refuses to certify, they'll not be a big player in the US. If some of the big-market, certified oils didn't have to follow the rules, as it were, they would probably have better specs.
Mike

Mike, a 5W-40 or even a 0W-40 won't get a starburst anyway !! M1 0W-40 doesn't have one either. Only energy conserving viscosities get that, and Xw-40 oils are not in that class.

quote:

Originally posted by Alex D:
Mike, a 5W-40 or even a 0W-40 won't get a starburst anyway !! M1 0W-40 doesn't have one either.

Mobil 1 0w40 does have the starburst. It's the only Xw40 oil made that fully meets the GF-3 fuel economy requirements and gets the starburst.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
G-Man I disagree. Maybe late to market, but Amsoil doesn't market Europe. So late???

A dollar short? Excuse me, but I think they purposely avoided the 0W- ,which doesn't sell in the USA worth a hoot, other than folks here.

You maybe miss the point - the oil is for the US market. So a GOOD synthetic 5W-40 choice is great news. It'll be in my newer Volvo, which now has 10W-40.

Well, a "new" oil designed for European cars should be in the "newest" grade that said European cars are getting. Virtually all European cars sold in the US don't come with 5w40 in the crankcase. Porsche, Aston-Martin, and the AMG Mercedes models come with Mobil 1 0w40. Standard Mereces-Benz models come with 5w30 synthetic that meets 229.5. All BMW engines (except for the M3) come with Castrol/BMW 5w30, though it now appears that BMW is switching to 0w40. Volkswagon/Audi may be the only cars that actually do come with 5w40, and that's probably just in the W8 as well as the W12 in the upcoming Phaeton.

From Amsoil's site:

Meets or exceeds the following specifications for domestic and foreign gasoline engines:

API SL, CI-4, CF
ACEA A3, B3, B4
BMW LL-01/98
Daimler Chrysler 229.3, 229.4, 229.5
Opel Long Life Service Fill GM-LL-A-025
Opel Diesel Service ill GM-LL-B-025
Porsche
Volvo
Saab
Volkswagen 502.00, 505.00, 503.01

Incidentally, better late and done right, than early and done wrong.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
AFL would be better for gas engines IMO.

You've also written recently that you felt that M1 would be better than D1 for gas engines--I think we really need to see more UOAs before such statements can be made!

quote:

Originally posted by nicrfe1370:
For what it's worth, Amsoil does have a 0W-40, been out for a while.

It's listed as a 4 stroke oil though, more for snowmobiles and ATVs. Not really a long drain oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back