New Altimax RT43 Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had these installed on wife's 2018 VW Tiguan SE 4motion that OEM Conti ProContacts(poorly reviewed on tire rack but I liked them) were worn down to 2/32" with 55k.

Observations first 50 miles:
* Just as quiet/smooth as the Conti's a huge plus
* Took to 80MPH and no vibration etc, notice little difference from old
* RT43 were superior in the snow/slop/sleet/ice but how hard could that be when old tires were 2/32"!
* Too afraid to corner hard as bad weather day and I believe new tires are squirmy until worn in?

I will check back in when I get in some real weather.

I love these things, the only question will be their longevity. 50K or more and I'll be happy

I put a set on my A4 two weeks ago and really like them. This is the 3rd set of tires I've put on this car and is the first set that I didnt have to go back and have rebalanced because I cant stand even the slightest of vibrations up to the mid 90's mph. They are pretty quiet on most surfaces and my wife reports as of this morning that they did real well in snow during her 50 mile commute to work.

Originally Posted by dbias
I put a set on my A4 two weeks ago and really like them. This is the 3rd set of tires I've put on this car and is the first set that I didnt have to go back and have rebalanced because I cant stand even the slightest of vibrations up to the mid 90's mph..

I agree that tires should be smooth up to high speeds and beyond. who mounted your tires? I've been back to a popular tire chain 8X in the last month. 3 different sets of tires, 2 different sets of wheels. it gets better each time but I still have a vibration above 75. it started with a bad vibration above 50. they are claiming that a slight vibration is ok.

Originally Posted by tomcat27
Originally Posted by dbias
I put a set on my A4 two weeks ago and really like them. This is the 3rd set of tires I've put on this car and is the first set that I didnt have to go back and have rebalanced because I cant stand even the slightest of vibrations up to the mid 90's mph..

I agree that tires should be smooth up to high speeds and beyond. who mounted your tires? I've been back to a popular tire chain 8X in the last month. 3 different sets of tires, 2 different sets of wheels. it gets better each time but I still have a vibration above 75. it started with a bad vibration above 50. they are claiming that a slight vibration is ok.

The place I got them is brand new. Tire Engineers? It seems to be a franchise type thing and I know nothing of them. I heard through the grapevine that several good mechanics had jumped there just before grand opening. All tire shops around here get their tires from the same distributor and I've always been happy with the freshness of their stock.
I had a horrible time getting a good set of Goodyear tires on my Chevy Silverado a few years ago and after multiple attempts at balancing the Goodyear manager blamed it on my wheels being bent lol. I told him that funny as my truck rode perfectly smooth on my way to their shop so if they are bent that his guys must have dropped them. Push comes to shove they dug out their run out machine and 3 of the 4 tires where well beyond limit and it took 5 more tires to find three good ones.
Like I said I'm very happy with the RT43 and I say that with full disclosure that i am extremely picky when it.comes to my tire fetish.

My wife and I both have these tires on our cars. I have over 50K on them and she has almost 60k on her set of tires. The last time we had our oil changed she had 5/16 tread left and I have 7/16 tread left. We do rotate them every other oil change. These tires are perfect for my wife's 2010 Honda civic and they are very good in the wet/snow. The reason I have them on my 2008 Acura TL is that I travel so much for work and the treadwear and all-season wet was important to me more than a better performance tire.

So after driving them about 500 miles myself and wife similar these tires are quite nice. Decent winter traction, quiet, smooth even at speed (50-80MPH).

I feel like MPG dropped 1MPG+ but it could be the ski rack causing the overall decrease from 29MPG->26MPG. I have to pull ski rack to get a handle on that one. The ski rack normally drops MPG about 2 MPG not 3+ MPG.

Have there been any big snow storms during the past week? No. What kind of winter traction are you talking about here? The roads have been dry.

Originally Posted by wdn
Have there been any big snow storms during the past week? No. What kind of winter traction are you talking about here? The roads have been dry.

I have these on my wife's Hyundai Santa Fe XL with AWD. The RT43's perform very, very well in the snow-for an all season.

I had them on an AWD Saturn Vue in Buffalo, NY. I got around in some surprise lake effect weather when I had to and they were fine. I only got around 30K out of them over five years mostly stop and go. I skipped a rotation and discovered an alignment problem when they got loud. I replaced them with Hankook next only because I wanted something different. I'm sure you will like your RT 43's.

my sister has had them on a 2006 Corolla since last Winter (so this is the second Winter since the changeover from Michelins)...I just got a text from her stating the tires have really been great especially over the last few days where we had snow/ice/extreme low temps...first time in years I've heard from my sister where she wasn't asking me to help with something
wink.gif
...good luck with your Generals!

Bill

i ran them on a sonata and they were great. might put them on a charger. they have good wear characteristics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back