New Aftermarket Master Cylinder - '89 Town Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to replace a leaking master cylinder on an '89 Lincoln Town Car. The options I have available are all the new Chinese master cylinders -- Raybestos, Centric, Cardone Select. It appears that there are no new Bendix branded master cylinders anymore, but the last of those I bought were made in China as well. I would prefer not to purchase a rebuilt master cylinder.

The prices are similar for all of the new ones (Raybestos, Centric, Cardone Select). Is there any significant difference in quality among these three?

Thanks for any help.

There are only several factories supplying brake hydraulics in China. Chances are, you may be buying the same product being sold in a different box. Luck of the draw.

I bought a Cardone Select master cylinder. It worked fine. But it rusts like a mofo in a hurry, and looks like crap under the hood. I reckon they are so cheap now with coatings that the buyer is responsible for painting or what ever.

Originally Posted by drtyler
Those are wheel cylinders for the rear drum brakes.

There is no master cylinder available for this application on parts.ford.com that I could find.

Originally Posted by Chris Meutsch
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/brake-hydraulics/cylinder-assy-front-brake-7815345-1

fordparts.com is a junk webpage with terrible listings. It is the bane of the existence to the parts people at dealers who were tricked into signing up for that mess.

D9AZ-2140-A was your part number when they were available but the part is obsolete, not replace, and no dealers have any NOS.

I'll probably spin the wheel and hope for the best with a Raybestos master cylinder. I've seen some older stock on Ebay, but I personally haven't had much success with older masters that have been sitting for long periods of time.

I may order a kit and attempt a rebuild if the existing master cylinder bore is clean looking (I'm sure this is a long shot). I've only rebuilt much older single chamber master cylinders, which are generally pretty easy to do.

BigD1 - Got to paint that bare cast iron. They are shipped with just enough oil or coating to keep from rusting on the shelf. I've seen it often with new water pumps too.

Originally Posted by bdcardinal
Those are wheel cylinders for the rear drum brakes.

There is no master cylinder available for this application on parts.ford.com that I could find.

Originally Posted by Chris Meutsch
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/brake-hydraulics/cylinder-assy-front-brake-7815345-1

fordparts.com is a junk webpage with terrible listings. It is the bane of the existence to the parts people at dealers who were tricked into signing up for that mess.

D9AZ-2140-A was your part number when they were available but the part is obsolete, not replace, and no dealers have any NOS.

Would this one work?

D9AZ-2140-AX

Rebuilding the old one is no big deal other than time, if its pitted send it to Karps for a sleeve fitted in it.

http://www.karpspb.com/sleeving.htm

BigD1 - Got to paint that bare cast iron. They are shipped with just enough oil or coating to keep from rusting on the shelf. I've seen it often with new water pumps too.

I have bought more than my fair share of master cylinders since the early 70's, and not once have I had to paint one. Most of the master cylinders I bought over the years had the yellow zinc plating on them. Even rebuilt master cylinders use to be re-plated. Denso still look new years later with what ever plating they are using.

Times have been changing I agree. When I need a master cylinder, I need one now to fix what ever I am driving, and don't have time to watch paint dry.

Originally Posted by Trav
Would this one work?

D9AZ-2140-AX

Rebuilding the old one is no big deal other than time, if its pitted send it to Karps for a sleeve fitted in it.

http://www.karpspb.com/sleeving.htm

That is a really old number for a reman version that has been obsolete for so long there is no info from Ford on it. Usually the numbers that end in X in the prefix now is junk peddled by Bob Allen Ford in Overland Park, KS. They flood the NOS market with junk parts without disclosing it to other dealers until the part shows up, then refuse to honor a warranty or take it back.

Yes that one come from Ford parts rebuilders, we had one here many years ago I used to go to and buy for cash right at the back door. I have not heard of them in decades but at the time they were part of FOMOCO and had big facility and trucks, the did everything there and the quality was good. I thought the X indicated it was a rebuilt.

Back then it did. Now the suffix has an "RM" at the end. The only place that uses the X on the end of the suffix is that Bob Allen Ford place.

I don't get caught up with this brands stuff. I go with the best warranty . It's an easy job to replace on your 89 and whatever you put on will likely outlast your 89 Town Car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BigD1
I bought a Cardone Select master cylinder. It worked fine. But it rusts like a mofo in a hurry, and looks like crap under the hood. I reckon they are so cheap now with coatings that the buyer is responsible for painting or what ever.

I believe back in the late 80's, they were aluminum with a plastic resevour. That's the way they are on my two 87 fords. Shouldn't have to paint.

Last edited:
The older yellow plate is going to be gone. It has a cancer causing type of chrome (chrome 6) The non cancer causing chrome (chrome 3) does not protect as well. Powder paint in china is loosing popularity because of the energy use. Common Chinese industrial water based paint is not going to last. You need to spray off the parts to get off the shipping oil and then spray with a quality paint. Or let it rust, cast iron parts seldom fail from rust.

Rod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back