New Accent Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will spare you all the ridiculous dealership shenanigans that took nearly a week and 3 different locations, and just let you all know I got a 2015 Hyundai Accent Sport 6MT this past week. It is a great little ride! More room than the Fiesta, outstanding warranty, decent HP, nice engine note, and actually enjoyable to zip around traffic. Thus far I am very happy. Only negative so far are a slightly stiff shifter (a little notchy, but it is also brand new). Thanks for all the advice and feedback. I'll keep everyone posted how the 1.6 GDI lasts as I plan on keeping this car a long while.

V__767D_zpsrzmutdic.jpeg

Sharp little car!

If the shifter is still notchy after 10-15k miles, it's likely the factory fill in the transmission. Try changing it out with either fresh OEM fluid or an aftermarket fluid that meets OEM specifications. The aftermarket fluid might void the warranty, though.

Nice tint; I'd be interested in some real world mpg reports if not inconvenient.

OT: by the way, in the northeast, we put our boats in the water in the summer.... Not telling anyone down there what to do however....

Last edited:
I only have about 500 miles on it right now, but will let you know after I put a few tanks through it. The computer says 30 or so in awful Houston battle-traffic, and cruising down to the bay at 65 the computer says mid-40's. Undoubtedly optimistic, but too soon to tell how much so.

Thanks everybody for the compliments. It is dark now, but I'll take a few pics in the morning.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Nice tint; I'd be interested in some real world mpg reports if not inconvenient.

OT: by the way, in the northeast, we put our boats in the water in the summer.... Not telling anyone down there what to do however....

There are lots of boats in the water, too... those boats in the picture will probably only move if if the parking lot floods.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

You should spend a summer in Texas, Your definition of Summer will change...LOL.

Last picture I could find that my wife took... interior shots tomorrow.

1da62c17-b7d2-42d0-af3b-8e7b4f30efea_zps9rj1ywlr.jpg

Another thing I liked about the Accent over the competition was that at 65-70 mph it isn't revving insanely high like the Fit I checked out. The transmission is geared very nicely, that combined with a relatively compliant ride and hushed wind noise make for a good commuter car that isn't completely devoid of soul. The electric power steering on the other hand...

Last edited:
Congrats on your new ride, I have heard quite a number of good things about the current Accent, especially the engine, it is a well kept secret from what I have read, how much did you pay OTD? Most important to me is, 1) how does it handle, and how good are the seats? You seem concerned about the electric power steering, what is good or bad about it. If the price was right I might consider a base model, with a 6sp MT. I hope you show us some interior shots as well.

Interesting that it has the rear fog lamp assemblies on the bumper, are they functional or just reflector lenses?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the kind words. As promised, here are a few more pictures and my 1st MPG report.

All city driving (house shopping, ugh), 32.9 mpg hand calculated. Onboard computer said 32 for the tank, but I can't tell if the "avg mpg" readout is time weighted or not. Either way, it was accurate for this tank.

I got it for 15,400 OTD. Happy with the price, as it is a fully loaded (sans sunroof or auto trans) model...bluetooth, cruise, upgraded upholstery, B&M short shifter, et cetera.

WP_20150623_002_zpsfzqytmg7.jpg

WP_20150623_004_zpsxpvgn5it.jpg

WP_20150623_005_zps7hijl8xm.jpg

WP_20150623_003_zpsdxjyanh2.jpg

The electric power steering has very limited feel...no feel at all. I don't necessarily mind this, but it was a little different than a few other cars I've owned/driven. Responses are typical for a smaller car, agile but not a corner carver. I'm considering adding a thicker rear swaybar to see what that does to things, but not a financial priority right now...maybe an Xmas gift to myself.

Not as taut or agile as the Fit or Fiesta, but rides nicer and is more relaxed. Definitely one of the roomiest in the class, too. I can comfortably sit behind myself (6ft tall)

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Congrats on your new ride, I have heard quite a number of good things about the current Accent, especially the engine, it is a well kept secret from what I have read, how much did you pay OTD? Most important to me is, 1) how does it handle, and how good are the seats? You seem concerned about the electric power steering, what is good or bad about it. If the price was right I might consider a base model, with a 6sp MT. I hope you show us some interior shots as well.

Interesting that it has the rear fog lamp assemblies on the bumper, are they functional or just reflector lenses?

Base model was quoted to me at $1500 cheaper. I thought about it a lot, but my wife preferred a few features of the sport trim, I preferred a few features of the sport trim, and we decided since we were buying new and keeping for a long time to get it exactly how we wanted.

They are just reflectors.

Regarding the base trim, it drove very differently than the sport trim, likely attributed to the 14" wheels vs. the 16" on the sport level(by themselves a very easy upgrade) I'm about 95% sure there are no other suspension differences between the two. Also, cruise wasn't available on the base trim if that is a concern for you. The rest were personal preference items, like projector headlamps w/ LEDs, fog lights, turn signal repeaters in the mirrors.

For the price, both represented, after my research, a strong value.

Edit: comfortable seats. Decent bolsters, feel good all around. No complaints from me.

Last edited:
Accents are good cars..thanks for the pics.

I really like the early 2000's ones that came with GT trim, and the bigger 1.6L engine at the time. Had a look at one in the showroom, but decided to go used again.

Glad to see they have kept the same formula for them...it works.

Congratulations. I have a 2013 SE ( now Sport ) and IMO it was definitely worth the additional dollars over the base trim. I'm like you in that one of the reasons I bought it was that it's relaxed at cruising speed versus a lot of the others. I typically find the mileage readout is 5% optimistic almost on the dot vs. hand calculated...but it sounds like yours is in line with the actual mileage. I get 40 mpg highway with the 6MT and enjoy the car so I can't complain either way. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back