New 5.0 what oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Formula Shell full synthetic oil I get at BJ's where house club in all my cars and trucks typically the 5w30 I get it on sale anyway I just bought a new to me Mustang GT with a 5.0 V8 with 13,000 miles. I can get Formula Shell full synthetic 5w20 where I get the FS 5w30 and do one stop shopping or would I be better off buying the Motorcraft 5w20 simi synthetic at Wall Mart? Or does it not matter either way as they are both fine oils?

Both are fine oils, the Formula Shell synthetic 5w20 probably has the edge of MC due to being a "synthetic".

If you do any shopping at Walmart look into the Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5w20 or the Mobil 1 5w20.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
5W-30 is way too thick for that Mustang. It won't be able to circulate in time to save the bearings.

He never made mention of using 5w30 in the stang, only mention of buying it at the same place he wants to get 5w20, but nice try at trolling.

both oils are good in 5w20
the 5w30 will not kill the engine in the summer but with all the electronics and all the 5w20 is the best choice

5w20 runs cooler
5w20 flows faster
5w20 works

But of course you did not mention 5w30 for the stang..lol

No it's not a track pack car at first the dealer said it was but he was wrong I also worked him over for a better price for the mistake lol. The Stang is a 2013, 6 speed manual, 3:73 gears, Brembro Brakes, with only 13,000 miles. Frankly if not for this forum I prob would have put 5w30 Shell Synthetic in the sump and called it a day. I always had a fear that 5w20 oil was just too thin for hard summer driving and it was only recommended by the auto company's to increase there overall fuel economy numbers. But after being a member here for a stint I realize that in many applications 5w20 works just fine esp after reading several UOA results from running 5w20 oil. I will stick with the 5w20 in this 5.0 V8 application it seems to hold up fine from what I read. I guess for around the same price the Shell FS in 5w20 may be my best option and the smart play would be run it and have a UOA done to see just how it held up after some miles of hard summer driving.

The 5W-30 will be fine, but it calls for 5W-20. You won't damage anything. They recommend 5W-50 for the 'track pack' car, and really the only functional difference is an oil cooler, in regards to the engine.

With Motorcraft 5W-20 and Motorcraft filters both being readily available at Walmart for a great everyday price, I see no reason to use anything else.

Originally Posted By: KenO
The 5W-30 will be fine, but it calls for 5W-20. You won't damage anything. They recommend 5W-50 for the 'track pack' car, and really the only functional difference is an oil cooler, in regards to the engine.

Ummmmm no.

The track pack engine is more different than just the oil cooler.

Just off the top of my head there are piston squirters on the track pack variety,which can superheat the oil when enjoying those horses,which from what I've read from ford is the most significant reason for the 5w-50 specification.
Without those piston squirters the oil wouldn't hear up nearly as fast.
Tuning is significantly different as well.
And whether 5w-20 or 5w-50 is being used in a mod 5.0 none if the "electronics" are affected,contrary to the comment above.
I laugh at these absurd beliefs that running thicker oil will in some way affect an engines ability to run solely based on rumour.
I've run 20 grades and 40 grades in engines with cylinder deactivation and vvt and the difference in how the engine runs is not perceptible.
Think about it. All those gizmos work just fine when the engine is cold,so let's get real here. A 20 grade cold is a whole lot thicker than a 40 or 50 grade hot,and all the systems run just fine in the cold 20 grade,so what kind of foolish reasoning can we come up with to convince anyone with a brain that running an oil thicker than specified(within reason)will negatively impact or damage an engine.
Laughable.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Ummmmm no.

The track pack engine is more different than just the oil cooler.

Just off the top of my head there are piston squirters on the track pack variety,which can superheat the oil when enjoying those horses,which from what I've read from ford is the most significant reason for the 5w-50 specification.
Link?

The BOSS 302 was different (in a number of ways). The Track Pack is not other than the addition of an oil cooler and a different tune that doesn't cut power when the oil temps reach a specific point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back